Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
St. Louis 8 14.81%
Cleveland 23 42.59%
Cincinnati 10 18.52%
Chicago 11 20.37%
Milwaukee 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

What city in the Midwest is most like the traditional, old Eastern cities (Boston, NY, Philly, Baltimore) in terms of:

history

urban layout

demeanor of the people

general feel

cuisine

And overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Chicago.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
Saint Louis is very similar to Pittsburgh and Baltimore

Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
I'd say Cleveland and Chicago.

Chicago fits in well with cities like New York, DC, Philly, and Boston.

Cleveland, fits in well with cities like Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

St. Louis shares some similarities in feel with Baltimore.

Milwaukee and Cincinnati don't remind me of the Northeast at all.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
When you fly into Chicago and see "Chicagoland" from the air, it could only be the Midwest. Period.

The only one that MIGHT be somewhat eastern is Cleveland. It is almost in the East, not very far from the Pennsylvania border. The lakefront location makes it somewhat akin to Buffalo, though much bigger and more interesting. It has an ethnic crustiness about it. In a symmetrical way, Pittsburgh is the most midwestern of the Eastern cities.

None of the others resemble an Eastern city in any way.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 PM

860 posts, read 1,356,991 times
Hmmm. Well, Cincinnati and St. Louis are somewhat southern, or at least southern influenced. Milwaukee and Chicago just scream MIDWEST to me, in terms of weather, geography, being on the lake etc... Cleveland is the hub of NEO which although similar to western PA, is still very Midwestern. Hmmmm, Detroit?????

Chicago isn't as crammed as east coast cities, yet has somewhat worldly cuisine like NY. The diverse population is also a commonality with some east coast places.
Detroit and Cleveland are products of Euclidean zoning, which seems to be opposite of many east coast cities.
St. Louis, Cincy and to a degree Milwaukee, have dense urban neighborhoods, but not as extensive. Cincinnati and St. Louis are built more like east coast cities in their cores.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Chicago and Cleveland. They share some demographic similarities with northeastern cities.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:47 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Considering the influence Chicago has on the Midwest, it doesn't strike me as anything other than quintessentially Midwestern. Is it cosmopolitan? Yes, but it's perfectly possible to be cosmopolitan and thoroughly Midwestern.

The correct answer is Cleveland. It's Midwestern at its core, but its proximity to the Northeast plus the fact that it was once part of the Connecticut Western Reserve gives it a bit of Northeastern flavor.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:01 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,102 times
Cleveland's urban environment is not Northeastern at all... it is quintessential Great Lakes. Cleveland does have stronger links to the Northeast due to proximity, however.

Chicago is massive and international and cosmopolitan like much of BosWash, but Chicago really is the Capital of the Midwest.

I choose Cincinnati... the core of Cincy has a similar "urban layout" to cities like Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Cleveland's urban environment is not Northeastern at all... it is quintessential Great Lakes. Cleveland does have stronger links to the Northeast due to proximity, however.

Chicago is massive and international and cosmopolitan like much of BosWash, but Chicago really is the Capital of the Midwest.

I choose Cincinnati... the core of Cincy has a similar "urban layout" to cities like Baltimore and Pittsburgh.
I think different cities share different aspects.. Where Cleveland lacks in urban environment, it makes up for in demographics(to an extent). Where Cincinnati lacks in demographics it makes up for in urban layout.
I don't think there is one midwestern city that shares all of the components but some have certain aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City