Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
St. Louis 8 14.81%
Cleveland 23 42.59%
Cincinnati 10 18.52%
Chicago 11 20.37%
Milwaukee 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times

Advertisements

None of the choices match IMO

The northeast is a very small region thats 402 miles long from Elkton, Maryland to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Basically from greater Philly to greater Boston and all the places in between. No option listed is like Philly, New York, and Boston the original and only northeast trio for smaller northeastern cities there is Springfield, Providence, Dover, and Hartford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 08:20 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post

The northeast is a very small region thats 402 miles long from Elkton, Maryland to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Basically from greater Philly to greater Boston and all the places in between. No option listed is like Philly, New York, and Boston the original and only northeast trio for smaller northeastern cities there is Springfield, Providence, Dover, and Hartford
People on this site have made comparisons of Cleveland or other great lakes cities to northeastern cities such as Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse.
I'd say they share some architecture.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:11 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Originally Cincinnati, but times have changed so much that it just architecturally has the resemblance. Maybe St. Louis or Chicago then, but neither are particularly close. There's probably some small city that fits the bill best (in terms of being like a small eastern seaboard city)

Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
I've been to all five of these cities. After growing up, being educated and working on the east coast into my late 20s, I moved to KC for year. That year, we took a weekend trip to St Louis and I noticed a distinct east coast feel. It's a matter of degree - it is definitely mid-west and does not feel fully "eastern," but in comparison with the other four, St Louis is the choice with the closest resemblance to an east coast city in my estimation.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
being from philadelphia, i will say unequivocally st. louis. it demonstrates deep rooted influence of baltimore and philadelphia, due in large part to early trade routes. many may say chicago, just because of its bustle and diversity, but those are really just characteristics of a very large city and not necessarily eastern. chicago developed in a more midwestern, prairie style that is quintessentially midwestern, while st. louis has an older, less deliberate layout. st. louis is older than the united states, and grew up with the large cities of the eastern seaboard. it is most definitely has the most eastern atmosphere of any midwest city.

cleveland may be the most eastern geographically, but the prevalence of driveways and frame housing makes it almost the anti-eastern city in many ways.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM

136 posts, read 265,041 times
History: I would say that Cincinnati and St. Louis because as stated before both are old cities whose economies were tied with the East Coast. Cincinnati 1788, and St. Louis 1764

Urban Layout: Cincinnati and St. Louis with their 19th century grid patterns and the architecture of the two cities resemble more of the East Coast cities

Demeanor of the people: I would go with Cleveland since they are geographically closer to the East Coast and have a slightly more "East Coast Demeanor" about them

General Feel: Chicago, but only because it has the city population to sustain a very vibrant core.

Cuisine: Every major city in the present day has very similar cuisine to each other. All have high end restuarants, ethnic restuarants, etc.

Overall: None of the major Midwest cities feel East Coast just some have certain East Coast qualities to them.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
It's Cincinnati. The city's architecture, history, density and neighborhoods are the closest match to the NE. Cincinnati and Pittsburgh could be twins; there are a lot of similarities with Baltimore also.

St. Louis would be my second pick, then Cleveland - but for different reasons. St. Louis for its architecture and historical ties, Cleveland for its proximity and cuisine.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 04-27-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
There's a problem with this question -- what do we mean by "Northeastern?" Do we mean New England, in which case the answer is clearly Cleveland, or do we mean Mid-Atlantic, in which case it could be Cincinnati?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:50 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
It depends.

I would say in terms of urban neighborhoods, I would say Cincinnati, with St. Louis a somewhat close second hands down feel most like east coast cities, with their rowhouses with not a strip of grass between the door and the sidewalk, the narrow streets, and cornershops/cafes/bars. Over-the Rhine for example really is the closest thing architecturally/structurally to NYC neighborhoods like Greenwich Village or Harlem. Many other neighborhoods like Clifton Hts/Corryville, etc. look like Brooklyn.

In terms of the general area, I would say Cleveland. Cleveland, as well as the triangle between there, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo all have that midwest-east coast transition. The Cleveland area was part of Connecticuts western reserve, and many of the communities especially in the east suburbs have a New Englandy feel more than anywhere else in the urban-suburban midwest. Plus Italian-Americans make up a larger % of the population there than anywhere else in the midwest, just like the east coast.

Chicago certainly has the size, cultural amenities, and cosmopolitan environment like the east coast cities, yet I don't think it feels east coast. Chicagos sister city is hands down Toronto. Architecturally both cities have in common residential areas that are a bit more one extreme or the other: Either high rises/huge apartment buildings, or what might be considered "houses" with a very small yard on the east coast or Europe, but function as two flat apartment condos. Both lack the rowhouses and narrow streets of the east coast + Cincy/STL. Chicago is very culturally diverse, but its native born ethnic white population is much more heavy on the German-American and Polish/Slavic americans that clearly outnumber the Italian Americans and Jewish Americans as it is elsewhere in the urban-suburban midwest. On the east coast its the opposite.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:57 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post

It's not like Maine is the North east, despite being North, and east of that entire Region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City