Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Planning a weekend trip to Baltimore in about 2 weeks.

The problem with Philly is a lack of defense contracting opportunities while Baltimore would be ideal.
Well Boeing is in Chester, which is close by. In addition, L3 and other contractors work alongside Dept of Navy in South Philly at the Naval Yard. Lockheed Martin is also close by in Cherry Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,038 times
Also, Lockheed Martin has big facilities in King of Prussia PA and Newtown PA, and Moorestown NJ (unless that's the one mentioned above in Cherry Hill).

Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 PM

7,489 posts, read 7,160,377 times
Yes, there are opportunities in Philly, Baltimore, and Raleigh, but Baltimore would offer would be significantly better than the other two areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Also, Lockheed Martin has big facilities in King of Prussia PA and Newtown PA, and Moorestown NJ (unless that's the one mentioned above in Cherry Hill).

Old 04-28-2012, 03:00 PM

21 posts, read 66,397 times
I dont know about jobs but Philadelphia is SO MUCH BETTER than Baltimore

Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 PM

SO MUCH BETTER? I am always amused by simple generalizations no matter what city, product, etc. is being favored.

Please elaborate if you could....

Unfortunately, jobs are critical so I were it we're so easy to just focus on everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by District of Columbia View Post
I dont know about jobs but Philadelphia is SO MUCH BETTER than Baltimore

Old 04-28-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
SO MUCH BETTER? I am always amused by simple generalizations no matter what city, product, etc. is being favored.

Please elaborate if you could....

Unfortunately, jobs are critical so I were it we're so easy to just focus on everything.
Baltimore is full of ghettos really very few nice areas in the entire city and Philly has some ghettos like any other city without pushing it

I would choose Philly or Raleigh if I were in your situation.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:24 PM

Same can be found in any city, all depends on where you choose to hang out.

When you said SO MUCH BETTER I was hoping you were going to elaborate to something meaningful of actually comparing the pros and cons of all three areas. Then and only then when you present both sides is it meaningful.

I have received a lot of overall feedback through other threads too and what has been most impressive has been fron those who have called out the good and bad of each city.

Simply saying A is better than B or C is the worst says more about the person providing the comments than the actual city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by District of Columbia View Post
Baltimore is full of ghettos really very few nice areas in the entire city and Philly has some ghettos like any other city without pushing it

I would choose Philly or Raleigh if I were in your situation.

Last edited by movin2Reston; 04-28-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Same can be found in any city, all depends on where you choose to hang out.

When you said SO MUCH BETTER I was hoping you were going to elaborate to something meaningful of actually comparing the pros and cons of all three areas. Then and only then when you present both sides is it meaningful.
Well Philly is a much bigger international city, it obviously offers much more (world class) amenities than Baltimore.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,648 times
COL is far cheaper in Raleigh/Durham I will admit, although big city amenities might be somewhat lacking. Weather is likely better, especially in winter than either PA or MD.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,219,632 times
Raleigh is much smaller than the other two cities so if you are use to the big city life, Raleigh is slower pace. For some reason though it seems like the larger the city, the more accepting the population is to gay people. Remember, North Carolina is part of the bible belt despite the fact the state has two or three cities that seem to be rapidly growing and becoming more urban. But I hear Asheville, NC in the western part of the state has a large gay population. Its also a very artsy city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City