Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities has the best beaches?
New York City 17 23.29%
Chicago 32 43.84%
San Francisco 19 26.03%
Boston 5 6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:58 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,354,504 times

Advertisements

Question: when people are talking about Boston beaches are they lumping in Cape Cod? I personally wouldn't and don't think that Boston has great beaches, especially when compared to Chicago and NYC (I know nothing of SF beaches). IMHO, Boston hasn't done as much with its coastline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 PM

908 posts, read 1,830,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And truly great beaches don't need boardwalks - that's what cheesy carnivals are for.
I can understand why some would feel that way, especially if they don't have a body worth showing off on the boardwalk. For less fit individuals the boardwalk would not be a good choice and more secluded options are best. No hard feelings on my part.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,017,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
These are probably some of the most god awful places for beaches in the entire country (if we are just talking cities/metros).
You have obviously never been to the NY Metro area.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,017,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
...I don't consider a lakefront a true beach. Chicago should not be on the list...
I guess you have never been to the great lakes.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:09 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,376,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
I can understand why some would feel that way, especially if they don't have a body worth showing off on the boardwalk. For less fit individuals the boardwalk would not be a good choice and more secluded options are best. No hard feelings on my part.
Again, a great beach doesn't need to be "propped up" with a cheesy boardwalk. Fit individuals look better on the sand vs in front of a greasy funnel cake/curly fries emporium.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Again, a great beach doesn't need to be "propped up" with a cheesy boardwalk. Fit individuals look better on the sand vs in front of a greasy funnel cake/curly fries emporium.
Nah, I will stick with the boardwalk and the grenades can keep the boring non boardwalked beaches.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,469,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Question: when people are talking about Boston beaches are they lumping in Cape Cod? I personally wouldn't and don't think that Boston has great beaches, especially when compared to Chicago and NYC (I know nothing of SF beaches). IMHO, Boston hasn't done as much with its coastline
Boston actually has some beautiful beaches nearby on both the North and South shores...but you don't hear of them too often because of the huge popularity of Cape Cod and the Islands.

If including the Cape and the Islands, Boston may be the best of the four cities being compared, but without them it still holds its own pretty well. The rocky coast of the area is beautiful.

One thing about the Massachusetts coast is that it has a very large fishing industry, so the harbors are often the focal points of the towns rather than the beaches.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I guess you have never been to the great lakes.
I have but its not the same as the ocean.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The summer at Ocean Beach can be foggy much of the time--but you can always drive a half hour north to Stinson Beach or down south to the beaches along Highway 1--where it can sunny and warmer in the 70s or occasionally even get into the 80s.

And the bright side is that you can get days in January and February where it's 65 degrees out and sunny at the beach--which you're not going to get in Chicago or New York or Boston. Yeah the water's too cold for people to swim outside of the warmest summer months and even then it''ll be too cold for most--but I grew up surfing and kayaking in Northern California, so cold water doesn't bother me as much... The bathtub warm water on the East Coast in the summer is a nice treat, but I'll always love the wild nature of the Northern California coast more...
Yeah...the winter use of the beaches isn't bad, b/c it will only be 10-20 degrees difference temp... Still enjoyable for walks even in January and still has flowers in bloom, etc.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:48 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,709,183 times
A boardwalk ruins a beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City