Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities has the best beaches?
New York City 17 23.29%
Chicago 32 43.84%
San Francisco 19 26.03%
Boston 5 6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,654,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
chicago beaches are so much cleaner then new york city beaches. Plus in order to go to a beach in new york you have to go to long island which isnt even on the peice of land where new york city is. In that case i voted for chicago just because they are cleaner and you can actualy go to a beach in downtown and look the other way and you can see a huge skyscraper just across lake shore drive.
Long island is the same piece of land that Brooklyn and Queens are on (both of which also have beaches)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Pshhhttt the Twin Cities have better beach's than these cities

Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Pshhhttt the Twin Cities have better beach's than these cities

Who? What's a twin cities?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Who? What's a twin cities?
Two guys that look nothing alike, ones your typical blue collar guy who drives a pickup truck, the other brother is a Hipster who gets pissed at his brother for driving that gas guzzling thing

seriously though google image lake calhoun

But to stay on topic, i would honestly love a SF beach on a sunny summer day. I hear the waves there are pretty big. The Chicago setting is nice but the water is too calm. New York and Boston beach's are also pretty nice plus the water is warm i hear

Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Agreed. Though if someone is looking for an urban beach, I think Chicago may even beat out Miami when it comes to summer time. Chicago looks like an amazing spot in the summer.
You think so? Miami Beach is pretty urban. Are you talking about in terms of amenities literally near the water? I think Miami Beach is bested by only Santa Monica and other SoCal cities.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:07 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Two guys that look nothing alike, ones your typical blue collar guy who drives a pickup truck, the other brother is a Hipster who gets pissed at his brother for driving that gas guzzling thing

seriously though google image lake calhoun

But to stay on topic, i would honestly love a SF beach on a sunny summer day. I hear the waves there are pretty big. The Chicago setting is nice but the water is too calm. New York and Boston beach's are also pretty nice plus the water is warm i hear
A sunny summer day in SF = 50's and windy by the ocean. You might get something decent around September though.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
[quote=jorge112597;22819505][quote=Chicago60614;22815185]Water temps are normally in the 70's or so
Quote:

water temps are not in the 70

i doubt that
The rise is pretty amazing actually once spring hits. Early May is around 40 degrees, early June is around 47 degrees, early July is around 60 degrees, early August hits the low 70s, and then it stays that way until October when it starts sliding back into the 60's.

In the fall we can get winds that drive the waves upwards of 20+ feet. We had that a few times this past fall. The waves were incredible, especially for not being on the ocean. People get arrested every once in awhile for surfing the waves around Chicago, but if you're going to surf lake Michigan then Michigan and Indiana usually provide more opportunities. There are lots of youtube videos out there.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM

908 posts, read 1,830,150 times
I don't consider a lakefront a true beach. Chicago should not be on the list. New York has great beaches and so does the Jersey Shore, our boardwalks are world famous.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
I don't consider a lakefront a true beach. Chicago should not be on the list. New York has great beaches and so does the Jersey Shore, our boardwalks are world famous.
Just because you don't consider a lakefront a true beach means nothing to millions of people.

Chicago has swimable beaches immediately adjacent to Downtown - New York does not. And truly great beaches don't need boardwalks - that's what cheesy carnivals are for.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
A sunny summer day in SF = 50's and windy by the ocean. You might get something decent around September though.
The summer at Ocean Beach can be foggy much of the time--but you can always drive a half hour north to Stinson Beach or down south to the beaches along Highway 1--where it can sunny and warmer in the 70s or occasionally even get into the 80s.

And the bright side is that you can get days in January and February where it's 65 degrees out and sunny at the beach--which you're not going to get in Chicago or New York or Boston. Yeah the water's too cold for people to swim outside of the warmest summer months and even then it''ll be too cold for most--but I grew up surfing and kayaking in Northern California, so cold water doesn't bother me as much... The bathtub warm water on the East Coast in the summer is a nice treat, but I'll always love the wild nature of the Northern California coast more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City