Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 18,367 times

Advertisements

I am a senior in college, in Iowa. I am moving to either Manhattan or Boston in June. What I was wondering is which is a better city, by that I mean nicer, and I know that New York is more expensive, but which one is more worth it? What are the best neighborhoods to live in in that city? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
I don't know Chicago well, but I know New York and Boston.

Boston is in many ways a miniature version of New York. It has the same basic geography, the same basic setup, but is quite a bit smaller. For that reason, it is less overwhelming than New York. It is probably also more limiting, because of its smaller size.

You need to decide which is more important to you -- a smaller place that it's easier to navigate, or a place with larger opportunities and a bigger set of experiences.

Just taking a guess, with you being from Iowa, you might find New York overwhelming compared to Boston, but that really depends on your personality type. I suggest you visit both cities and get a feel for them.

I work in New York but I don't think I'd ever want to live there. As a place to live, I'd much prefer Boston.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 PM

196 posts, read 457,845 times
Chicago is a clean and very pleasant city. NYC is a very large city with tons of bustling. Boston is a very historic city. Each of these cities has much to do, and I have enjoyed being in all of them. Overall, I would give Chicago a slight edge.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:06 PM

62 posts, read 277,718 times
Great cities, can't really go wrong. Boston is NOTHING like New York, especially in geography and set up. (I'm speaking of Manhattan when I say NY). Just search each on google maps and you will see they are set up entirely differently. For one, NY is very easy to figure out in terms of navigating yourself around because it's a giant grid. I read somewhere on here that looking at the streets of Boston on a map is like looking at a plate of spaghetti - they're crazy. Manhattan is relatively flat, whereas Boston is pretty hilly. Manhattan is on bed rock which supports the buildings. Lots of Boston was formerly water, and is on landfill. Also, NY is way more diverse than Boston. At least noticeably as you walk around. They're both pretty walkable cities however, Boston much more so because it's so much smaller. Boston is described as a city with a town feel, NY is obviously not, with a city population about 16x greater.

Anyhow - which city is cleaner? Definitely Boston. But it depends on which areas of the city you are in. New York is huge, so while some areas of the city might be dirty, others are very clean for its size. Both cities are very expensive, although New York is of course more. To determine which city is "worth it" it'll depend on your personality. I currently live in Boston and while I do like it, I cannot wait to move to New York. Boston has tons of amazing history and sites, is small, manageable, clean, and might be one of the most picturesque cities in the country (unless you're looking for massive, towering skyscrapers, there are none here). The harbor and Charles River are very accessible, with parks, apartments, restaurants and bars along the water. It's very open to the sky because there are no tall buildings. Boston does, however, shut down pretty early for a major east coast city. Bars close at 2am sharp (there are a few that manage to stay open later), most restaurants are closed at 10 or 11, very very few 24 hour places.

It can be difficult to meet people in any new city. I have found Boston to be pretty difficult. Many people here grew up in the area, went to school in the area and have their social circles established. There are tons of colleges in Boston though, and this fills the city up with young people during the year, except summer. If you're a girl, you may not have as much trouble meeting people. New York may be just as hard, I haven't lived there, but I feel like more people come from other places to live in NY than they do in Boston - could be wrong.

To me there is a certain indescribable energy and vibe to New York that Boston just doesn't have. I like New York's fast pace, size, and diversity. Whether people are willing to admit it or not, it is the penultimate city. If you want a slower paced but still fast, pretty nice (in terms of quality), manageable city, Boston might be the better choice. New York is instant exciting, Boston you have to go looking for it, but it can be found. They're both great cities in their own rights, just not at all similar other than being on the east coast.

Neighborhoods I'd recommend in Boston: Beacon Hill, Back Bay (both very expensive), North End, South End, Bay Village, Kenmore/Fenway, (if you like baseball and don't mind crazy fans everywhere). Cambridge is also a good option, although is technically not part of Boston, it essentially is.

In NY, friends have told me the Lower East and West sides are very young. Particularly Murray Hill, Gramercy Park, Kips Bay, Greenwich Village. Upper East and West sides are very nice, little quieter probably, more family oriented.

Can't go wrong with either city! But definitely visit both so you can get a feel for each. Look at pictures online, gather people's opinions here, read travel guides. You'll get a pretty good idea of what each city brings to the table. If you have more questions about Boston feel free to ask!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:53 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
I find Boston MUCH MUCH MUCH harder to navigate than Chicago or NYC. And I grew up here!

Old 01-24-2010, 05:43 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
I read in recent years that Chicago is the cheapest great city in America in which to live...likely true. But unemployment there has been higher than Boston.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:51 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
[quote=aapaaapa14;12578083]. What I was wondering is which is a better city, by that I mean nicer, quote]

And by "nicer", you mean what, exactly? Have you been to any of these cities?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
I say go for broke. NYC. Everyplace else is almost or sorta. Go for it all!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
I think you need to visit each city and decide what feels most comfortable. I suspect that coming from Iowa, you may find NYC a bit overwhelming. I sometimes do, and the smallest city I've ever lived in has close to 400,000 people. New York is just incredibly big and busy. And while there is definitely an excitement in that, it isn't for everyone. If you visit and find that to be the case, then you will likely find Boston a more comfortable fit. On the other hand, no city can really compare to New York. It is the pinnacle of urbanity for ill and for good.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:44 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
Chicago is a good deal right now, but we are in the Midwest which has struggled economically for decades. We don't have many job opportunities coming to Illinois, and Illinois is also facing a budget problem that is actually greater than California's. Chicago has fantastic history, along with Boston. It is a little cheaper, but not a great noticeable difference, as when comparing New York to Boston and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City