Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you like more
LA 73 57.03%
Mexico City 55 42.97%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Whenever I make my own travel plans to Mexico City, I always make Zona Rosa or Polanco my home base cause that's where my business usually is(Pplanco is a favorite neighorhood of multinational companies). I love to go on and and on about upscale amenities and all that stuff but this time I'll lay off cause really it gets boring when you visit the same places and experience the exact same 'upscale amenities'(which tend to be the same everywhere to be honest)and soooo while Sao Paulo has my heart, I will admit that I do think that Mexico City has a better historic downtown than SP does(dont kill me Paulistanos).

In the most historic sections of Mexico City's old downtown, architecture and the way the buildings have aged into something noticeably deteriorated yet stillbeautiful and timeless is VERY reminiscient of Europe.

The massive basilica and ornate edifaces that surround Zocalo(the main plaza in the heart of town) are prime examples of old buildings that have been worn down but look like art. And standing in Zocalo, you feel sooo small.

There is a rush of agitation all the time during the day, throngs of people working in the area, cabs all over the place, constant agitation. Others appear to be there on a sort of pilgrimage to visit the square. And its interesting cause I will admit that standing there in the plaza, I did get a sense that this was definitely no ordinary place. Zocalo is like the heart of the city and spiritual and historic heart of all of Mexico and since activity there dates back to aztec times, that should come as very little surprise.

Well, that's my Zocalo memory.

I wish people who live there would chime in more. I am a frequent vistor who sometimes has extended stays but Im no expert.
I assume you've taken the tour of the Zocalo cathedral? The good one is where they take you up onto the roof. It's like a maze and you can see a good chunk of the city. And the bell towers with their 300+ year old wooden spiral staircases are pretty amazing. It's crazy to think that the cathedral took some 240 years to build, and that was only *after* the first one built was demolished for being too small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 03:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
It's funny how a simple comparison thread has turned into a Rorschach test where people see whatever agenda they want to see into it: meant to troll, meant to put down L.A., meant to put down Mexico City, meant to put down Mexico in general, etc. One poster even saw visions of neocon trailer trash. Uhm... what?? Wrong forum -- the P&OC Leper Colony is over in the General Forums. Does that poster know what "neocon" even means? How the hell does "neocon" come into play in a comparison between L.A. and Mexico City?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
It's kind of hard to judge either Mexico City or Los Angeles as wholes. Both cover enormous areas, and vary a lot over their metro areas.

Mexico City is probably a more interesting place for a two-week visit, simply because of its density, the Aztec ruins, and the range of interesting neighborhoods accessible from the subway system.

For relocation/permanent living, Mexico City would be a bit more challenging, due to everything from the intense traffic to the relatively small airport to housing costs (housing in nice areas of Mexico City is fairly pricey, even relative to LA). Most American expats in Mexico live around areas like Lake Chapala, or in more "charming" smaller cities like Guanajuato, Taxco, Ajijic, Ensenada, etc. Those who live in Mexico City are often there for work.

If I had to pick one neighborhood in Mexico City for a medium-term or longer stay, it would probably be the Condesa district, which is fairly close to the center of the city, and which has a lot of restaurants/bars, but which also has some quieter, more subdued residential streets compared to other parts of the central city.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It's kind of hard to judge either Mexico City or Los Angeles as wholes. Both cover enormous areas, and vary a lot over their metro areas.

Mexico City is probably a more interesting place for a two-week visit, simply because of its density, the Aztec ruins, and the range of interesting neighborhoods accessible from the subway system.

For relocation/permanent living, Mexico City would be a bit more challenging, due to everything from the intense traffic to the relatively small airport to housing costs (housing in nice areas of Mexico City is fairly pricey, even relative to LA). Most American expats in Mexico live around areas like Lake Chapala, or in more "charming" smaller cities like Guanajuato, Taxco, Ajijic, Ensenada, etc. Those who live in Mexico City are often there for work.

If I had to pick one neighborhood in Mexico City for a medium-term or longer stay, it would probably be the Condesa district, which is fairly close to the center of the city, and which has a lot of restaurants/bars, but which also has some quieter, more subdued residential streets compared to other parts of the central city.
Condesa, Roma, Polanco, etc tend to be for Americans and other foreigners with money, as prices in all of those places are way overpriced for what they offer. They are also neighborhoods that are a little insular to the rest of the city. You might go there to eat, have a drink, but I wouldn't want to live there, personally. I'd prefer San Rafael, Del Valle, etc.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,342 times
i was born in the DF but consider LA forever my home, so LA for me

Old 11-19-2011, 11:29 PM

Here are others.
Attached Thumbnails
LA vs Mexico City-coyoacan1.jpg   LA vs Mexico City-df1.jpg   LA vs Mexico City-markets1.jpg  

Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 PM

And still others.
Attached Thumbnails
LA vs Mexico City-santafedf.jpg   LA vs Mexico City-xochi2.jpg   LA vs Mexico City-xochimilco.jpg   LA vs Mexico City-xochi4.jpg  

Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So yeah.... like I said, a simple comparison thread has turned into a Rorschach test where people see whatever agenda they want to see into it...
And yet, your 2 posts in this thread contribute absolutely nothing towards a comparison between Los Angeles and Mexico City.

So yeah....like thanks.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:30 AM

37 posts, read 162,090 times
Im sorry it has to be said...they are both absolutely awful. Paris/London anyday

Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Page View Post
Im sorry it has to be said...they are both absolutely awful. Paris/London anyday
No, it does not have to be said. Have you been to either? There's plenty of evidence in this thread that testifies to how interesting both cities are. Sure, Paris is great, and I've heard that about London, too (haven't yet been there). But you are a fool if you think those are the only worthwhile cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City