Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you like more
LA 73 57.03%
Mexico City 55 42.97%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:42 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You realize that relatively small parts of Mexico are having a drug war and the rest of Mexico is not, much of which is safer than most American cities. Mexico City is not one of those parts, but it's more like NYC in the sense that you should still be aware and keep your guard up... I've heard that there's more pickpocketing and simple theft too so it pays not to wear valuables.
You should be very careful with how you phrase these things. not trying to stir controversy, but my brother hasn't gone to Mexico City in two years because the last time he traveled there the cops were trying to take away his vehicle and apparently my brother got very frightened by the whole situation. He had his whole family with him, his wife, two daughters and mother-in-law. the drug war is happening everywhere in Mexico. It can be anyone, just average individuals who have been bought by the cartels, the zetas, etc. And its mostly prominent in major cities... yeah, some cities are safe, but most of them aren't even cities anyone's even heard about. Monterrey is pretty dangerous too... probably more than DF at this point.

I'm not trying to scare people into not going to Mexico... but I will say that if you travel to Mexico, go by plain, don't drive there. And I've been told by many people, even by mexicans themselves, that it's a very good idea to have someone go with you who knows the areas well already. "Pickpocketing" should be the least of your worries. We're talking about kidnap here. It happens in Mexico City too and from all my friends who live in Mexico City, they always have something shady posted on their facebooks... things like how they can't go out passed 10pm and how Mexico is not as it used to be. And almost everyone I know, knows someone who has been threatened by the whole drug war.

Other than that.... if it weren't for the crime in mexico, I'd give Mexico City the nod on this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 10:53 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
You should be very careful with how you phrase these things. not trying to stir controversy, but my brother hasn't gone to Mexico City in two years because the last time he traveled there the cops were trying to take away his vehicle and apparently my brother got very frightened by the whole situation. He had his whole family with him, his wife, two daughters and mother-in-law. the drug war is happening everywhere in Mexico. It can be anyone, just average individuals who have been bought by the cartels, the zetas, etc. And its mostly prominent in major cities... yeah, some cities are safe, but most of them aren't even cities anyone's even heard about. Monterrey is pretty dangerous too... probably more than DF at this point.

I'm not trying to scare people into not going to Mexico... but I will say that if you travel to Mexico, go by plain, don't drive there. And I've been told by many people, even by mexicans themselves, that it's a very good idea to have someone go with you who knows the areas well already. "Pickpocketing" should be the least of your worries. We're talking about kidnap here. It happens in Mexico City too and from all my friends who live in Mexico City, they always have something shady posted on their facebooks... things like how they can't go out passed 10pm and how Mexico is not as it used to be. And almost everyone I know, knows someone who has been threatened by the whole drug war.

Other than that.... if it weren't for the crime in mexico, I'd give Mexico City the nod on this list.
That's what I've been hearing too from Mexicans I know. I'm just going to wait until this whole drug war dies down before I head down there. I would love to visit DF, but not now.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:59 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:

I also know people in Mexico and plenty of people who have been back and people who won't or can't go back. The vast majority of the "won't go back"s are from Michoacan, Sinaloa, Chihuahua and TJ. DF has crime obviously, but in terms of violent crime it's about average compared to most American cities.

I 100% agree with you though, you should not be driving to DF as you'll have to pass through the worst parts of Mexico to get there...

Old 11-20-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I also know people in Mexico and plenty of people who have been back and people who won't or can't go back. The vast majority of the "won't go back"s are from Michoacan, Sinaloa, Chihuahua and TJ. DF has crime obviously, but in terms of violent crime it's about average compared to most American cities.

I 100% agree with you though, you should not be driving to DF as you'll have to pass through the worst parts of Mexico to get there...
Well, I wouldn't consider kidnappings as average violent crime compared to American cities. I don't know what the statistics are but DF also has a fair number of kidnappings. I will try and look for a documentary made in Mexico I saw a few years ago. I might not be able to find but in it were some citizens of Mexico city protesting because all of them knew someone or were themselves threatened, or victims of a kidnap. Back in January I ran into some kid that was fresh from Mexico city, and he started talking to me at random saying how he can't party in Mexico city like he used to. He said he had posted on facebook why everyone was being "party poopers" and all of his friends from Mexico city were getting upset with him because the things going on in Mexico city is real and dangerous. Sure, not as dangerous in other Mexican cities like Ciudad Juarez, but it's still happening.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:15 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't consider kidnappings as average violent crime compared to American cities. I don't know what the statistics are but DF also has a fair number of kidnappings. I will try and look for a documentary made in Mexico I saw a few years ago. I might not be able to find but in it were some citizens of Mexico city protesting because all of them knew someone or were themselves threatened, or victims of a kidnap. Back in January I ran into some kid that was fresh from Mexico city, and he started talking to me at random saying how he can't party in Mexico city like he used to. He said he had posted on facebook why everyone was being "party poopers" and all of his friends from Mexico city were getting upset with him because the things going on in Mexico city is real and dangerous. Sure, not as dangerous in other Mexican cities like Ciudad Juarez, but it's still happening.

Maybe not in terms of kidnappings related to the drug trade, but kidnappings happen here in America all the time... most of the underage prostitutes here were kidnapped and forced into sex slavery.

I'm not going to debate that there are some risks you take by going to Mexico City that you don't take as much by going to the average American City, but IMO not to the point where it's not worth visiting. I respect your POV though...

Old 11-20-2011, 01:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,012 times
DF feels a lot safer than guatemala city or san salvador or managua or tegusomething or DC. one of the safest capital cities in north america.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe not in terms of kidnappings related to the drug trade, but kidnappings happen here in America all the time... most of the underage prostitutes here were kidnapped and forced into sex slavery.
That's really not comparable. Those kidnaps happen to, as you say, "underage". It's telling when a fully grown man isn't entirely safe just taking a stroll around the park.

Quote:
I'm not going to debate that there are some risks you take by going to Mexico City that you don't take as much by going to the average American City, but IMO not to the point where it's not worth visiting. I respect your POV though...
Yes, and all I'm basically saying is, sure go visit. But by all means, for the love of goodness, do plenty and plenty of research and be aware of the situation Mexico is in right now.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:59 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,656 times
Are we seriously comparing these two cities?

What's next "where would you rather live USA or Mexico?"

Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,012 times
Quote:
That's really not comparable. Those kidnaps happen to, as you say, "underage". It's telling when a fully grown man isn't entirely safe just taking a stroll around the park.
as a full grown adult male travelling solo you should be safe in pretty much any city in the world as long as you take the proper precautions. not sure where you're getting the idea that it's dangerous for a grown male. there are a few cities i'll admit i feel uncomfortable in, and juarez is one of them. caracas another. but mexico city? please.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM

100 posts, read 189,424 times
Some LA Pics from my Album

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City