Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you like more
LA 73 57.03%
Mexico City 55 42.97%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:01 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That's the thing though--you shouldn't have to hide that you're from out of town.
I was speaking in general terms, not just about Mexico City, but any large city or place that people are not familiar with and where you don't know the local culture or criminal activity. An obvious tourist is going to be a bigger target anywhere, let alone in Mexico.

That said, I don't know anyone personally who has been a victim of crime in DF, and I've known dozens of visitors. Mexico City can be dangerous for people who don't know where to go, what to do, where to stay, etc, but that is true for any place with similar crime rates, which is quite a few American cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post
And yet it's a good idea no matter where you travel. I had my camera stolen in Switzerland, when I went to report it the Swiss police said 'there is no crime in Switzerland, check the lost and found'. If there is any place on Earth where you are supposed to be able to let your guard down as a tourist, that's it. lol.
Exactly, people who do any sort of regular travel outside of the US (or even inside) learn a few basic rules, one of which is, you don't want to draw too much attention to yourself or make yourself vulnerable.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I don't know the specifics of your relatives' circumstances, that's why I said 99% and not 100%. It's like that flight attendent who was recently killed in Mexico City. Wasn't careful, brought a total stranger back to his hotel room and the guy robbed and killed him. He didn't deserve to die, but he made a very serious judgement error and did something you just don't do, no matter what city you're in. People have to be smart when travelling to places they don't know. When I lived there, I was out at all hours of the night and never had issues. Then again, I was aware of my surroundings and didn't make it obvious that I was from out of town.
Around what time were you living there?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Exactly, people who do any sort of regular travel outside of the US (or even inside) learn a few basic rules, one of which is, you don't want to draw too much attention to yourself or make yourself vulnerable.
I agree. But its becoming increasingly more difficult in Mexico. Yeah, sure chances are you can visit and nothing will happen. But its also likely something as bad as being pickpocketed, or being kidnapped can happen. There is a chance for anything at anytime anywhere you go. I don't doubt that. And there are also ways of minimizing your chances of being a victim, but right now, in Mexico, you'd have to be much more on your guard. Like I said before, visit, do plenty of research, be smart and be safe cause things aren't pretty over there right now. My father said, Mexico isn't the way it used to be, "mexico lindo y querido".

Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
I would definitely like to visit Mexico City one of these days. It's true, most people in the US wouldn't go to Mexico City for a "vacation", but my interest is definitely piqued. It sounds like a very vibrant city, with all the positives and negatives that come with being a huge megalopolis -- similar to L.A.

Thanks to everyone in this thread that provided info about Mexico City.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:11 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Awesome video, gives a good visual of Mexico City. Good pulsing music in the background too.

Mexico City - The Biggest City in The World - YouTube

Old 11-21-2011, 04:16 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Awesome video, gives a good visual of Mexico City. Good pulsing music in the background too.

Mexico City - The Biggest City in The World - YouTube
Do you know what that cube building is at 2:21?

What an amazing place.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Figured this is a good time to see this.

Mexico City is great and beats LA when it comes to Mexican cuisine.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 PM

29 posts, read 39,464 times
Quote:
How's Guadalajara?
Nicer and safer than Mexico City, but not as cosmpolitan or vibrant. Much hotter and drier.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Do you know what that cube building is at 2:21?

What an amazing place.
That neighborhood is called Santa Fe. Its like Century City.

I dont know what that building is specifically but people call it 'la lavadora'--the washing machine. lol

I love the bold and colorful architecture in MXC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City