Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best city for young people?
San Francisco 17 19.10%
Seattle 10 11.24%
Austin 11 12.36%
Atlanta 14 15.73%
Boston 11 12.36%
Other (Please Explain) 26 29.21%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 AM

120 posts, read 208,963 times

Advertisements

Boston is the easy choice due to the high number of prestigious universities and the thriving student population of undergrads and graduates.

Miami would also be a fun city to live in for a young person. Beaches, nightlife, etc.

Atlanta is great for young AAs.

And surprised to not see NYC on this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 AM

239 posts, read 509,244 times
DC is a very good city for young people, but also very transient and younger people come and go. Many people become workaholics, even more so than NYC.

This question should probably be for a separate thread topic but does anyone know how San Diego and Denver are for young people?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM

515 posts, read 986,533 times
NYC should be on this list, it has a massive population of 20 somethings...

Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 PM

562 posts, read 989,040 times
I would imagine all of them are good for young people. The best? It depends I guess. I would probably say New York City even though it's not on the list. I would place San Francisco and Seattle right behind it. Miami and Boston for honorable mention.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:39 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
I agree with pretty much all of the cities that have been mentioned so far.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Dallas, Houston, Denver, or Minneapolis. All have relatively good economies, a growing young professional population, a growing list of amenities, and are all affordable (especially Houston and Dallas, it's amazing how such large metros have managed to stay so cheap).

Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM

120 posts, read 208,963 times
Dallas, Houston, Denver, and Minneapolis are not exciting cities to live in for someone in their 20s. Maybe if they enjoy skiing Denver would be ideal, but otherwise not on par with the big coastal cities.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
Dallas, Houston, Denver, and Minneapolis are not exciting cities to live in for someone in their 20s. Maybe if they enjoy skiing Denver would be ideal, but otherwise not on par with the big coastal cities.
Yet Atlanta somehow meets your approval, when it more or less offers the same ammenities as Dallas and Houston?

I've known plenty of twentysomethings who love it here. Just speak for yourself, please.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
None of these cities. Most people in their 20s, are on the lower end of the socio-economic ladder, so affordability and job opportunities is key. SF, Seattle and Boston's COL is too high, Austin and ATLs COL is raised by the fact that car ownership is a virtual requirement. The best places for young ppl right now are affordable with well developed urban infrastructure and downtown jobs, north Jersey, Chicago, and Philly,
Exactly. Cost of living is major for someone in their 20s because they are just starting their career and don't have alot of disposible income.
Hence why young professionals like places like Indianapolis, Columbus OH, Kansas City, Charlotte etc.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Exactly. Cost of living is major for someone in their 20s because they are just starting their career and don't have alot of disposible income.
Hence why young professionals like places like Indianapolis, Columbus OH, Kansas City, Charlotte etc.
But those cities also don't have the lions share of the good jobs...So why would somebody young move there? Like I said... it is much harder to go ahead and get somewhere you want to be and learn the ropes... Rather than go to Columbus, then decide when you are 30 you are going to move to NYC... That is usually the opposite of what happens, people move to NYC (note not UES) to start their careers young then move somewhere cheaper when COL is more of a big deal, and people are less likely to want to deal with roommates and they have an established career. As you get older COL becomes more important, not the other way around. College students are used to not living on that much anyway, living with roommates, etc... They can do the same in big cities and get their career on track. You aren't just going to move to NYC after working in Columbus for 8 years... you already have all those people who have been in NYC for 8 years to compete with... Not happening, and if so, it will be a harder struggle. Now, you could move from Boston to NYC, or SF to NYC... the upper level cities share transplants between them all the time. The lower ring cities like Indianapolis or Kansas City, this doesn't really happen... At least nobody I know...
Two sides to this advice I guess.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
But those cities also don't have the lions share of the good jobs...So why would somebody young move there? Like I said... it is much harder to go ahead and get somewhere you want to be and learn the ropes... Rather than go to Columbus, then decide when you are 30 you are going to move to NYC... That is usually the opposite of what happens, people move to NYC (note not UES) to start their careers young then move somewhere cheaper when COL is more of a big deal, and people are less likely to want to deal with roommates and they have an established career. As you get older COL becomes more important, not the other way around. College students are used to not living on that much anyway, living with roommates, etc... They can do the same in big cities and get their career on track. You aren't just going to move to NYC after working in Columbus for 8 years... you already have all those people who have been in NYC for 8 years to compete with... Not happening, and if so, it will be a harder struggle. Now, you could move from Boston to NYC, or SF to NYC... the upper level cities share transplants between them all the time. The lower ring cities like Indianapolis or Kansas City, this doesn't really happen... At least nobody I know...
Two sides to this advice I guess.
Yes, but does depend. Most jobs, general IT, back office are a dime a dozen no matter where you go. Once you start getting deeper into niche markets then it can definitely make a difference. If you are deep into pharmaceuticals or want to be, you are going to try and go to where the big boys are. Phizer, Lilly, etc. Makes sense. Emerging markets, like KC with IT or logistics related being out in the midwest in Chicago or Indianapolis. But to go somewhere just to get your foot in, that can be anywhere and people travel where there's opportunity. Been that way since this country was founded and not about to change now which is why the south is gaining a lot of people now as southern job centers are picking up their pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City