Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

Is Kansas City the only city that people don't know what state it's in or how large it is? Is there any other mid sized or large city with such an messed up image?

Serious Question. I mean do people get Charlotte confused with north and south Carolina? Does it bug people if and when they do (I have always known where Charlotte is).

That's about the only large city I can even think that might compare.

Since moving to the east coast, I have come to the conclusion that 95% of the population thinks that Kansas City is primarily in Kansas. They also think it's flat with no trees, smallish, rural, boring etc. It's constantly labeled a plains city or western city when it's about 1/3 closer to the east coast than the west coat. It does not get more Midwestern than Kansas City.

You tell people it's a metro of over 2 million in the green rolling hills and bluffs where two rivers come together (in MO and KS) with plenty of art, culture, attractions and urban living options and I swear, I think most people think I'm making stuff up.

What if you were from Philly and when you said you were from Philly , people asked: "So how's Jersey? Pretty Industrial there isn't it?"

What if you were from Memphis and people assumed you were from Arkansas and lived in the woods or a trailer park.

I swear if I get told one more time that "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore", I'm going to freak out. I'm from urban Kansas City, MO and am constantly asked what it's like to live in big city. (Baltimore does not feel any larger than KC).

It really wouldn't be so bad if people at least knew that the part of Kansas where the KC areas is happens to be nothing like what most imagine. It's more like Missouri.

The city does have a MLB team. Don't people realize that you have to be a pretty good sized metro even have a major league baseball team? I mean MLB doesn't work quite like NFL, there are no Green Bays in MLB. The Royals suck, but that's beside the point.

But seriously, if you were from Philly and always had to clarify that you are from Pennsylvania, not New Jersey, would that not be as annoying as hell? Especially when Jersey has similar stereotyping problems?

Last edited by kcmo; 02-17-2011 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 AM

265 posts, read 329,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Serious Question. I mean do people get Charlotte confused with north and south Carolina?
Yes.

Quote:
Does it bug people if and when they do (I have always known where Charlotte is).
Sometimes. But the metro area and Charlotte's urbanized area do extend into SC.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:16 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Since moving to the east coast... It's constantly labeled a plains city or western city when it's about 1/3 closer to the east coast than the west coat. It does not get more Midwestern than Kansas City.
Everything is located in the West to East Coast. Kansas city is West, so is Dallas, so is St. Louis, so is Chicago, so is LA. If you come from any of these towns you are coming from the West.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Everything is located in the West to East Coast. Kansas city is West, so is Dallas, so is St. Louis, so is Chicago, so is LA. If you come from any of these towns you are coming from the West.
I'm completely lost at this statement. I always knew Kansas City was in MO and Charlotte in NC. The only people who may forget are the ones who fell asleep in geography.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm completely lost at this statement.
Ok, I will help you. Get a map of the United States, now point to any East Coast city. Then find Kansas city. Which direction do you have to take to go directly from East Coast to Kansas city?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
I've always known that Charlotte is in NC. Kansas City is confusing because there actually is a Kansas City, KS as well as the larger, more famous Kansas City, Missouri. They're right next to each other since KC, MO is on the border with KS.

Also, other well known cities with a state in the name tend to be located in that state (New York City is in NY, Oklahoma City is in OK, Jersey City is in NJ, Colorado Springs is in CO, etc.) People who aren't from that area or don't have a reason to be familiar with it will naturally assume that Kansas City (the major one) must be in Kansas.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
What a weird question.. and are the pictures even necessary? I call shenanigans.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Don't get offended OP, just be amused by their ignorance.

Somewhere I saw a message board about a woman who moved from NYC to KCMO (for cost-of-living purposes). Most of the responses to the article said something to the effect of "Hahahaha, hope you enjoy Kansas", jokes about the Wizard of Oz, and the middle of nowhere.

KC is a fine town. Have no shame and wear that Royals hat with pride (or maybe not because they're no good )!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Many people on the East Coast think that the Midwest starts at Blue Mountain.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Exactly. You said right here. All those cities are viewed as "OUT THERE." Out West to people out here on the East(Charlotte NC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City