Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:41 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorjason View Post
Now, for Charlotte.

Now, this is what I think what other people think. Because Charlotte is a relatively new large city, I don't think a lot of people know its size, but most older people would know it is in North Carolina.

For both Kansas City, no matter which one, or Charlotte, most younger people, say 40 and younger either never learned in school because they didn't care or they don't remember. So I think most younger people don't know much about the two cities, including their locations.
The reason I brought up Charlotte is because I have heard people say it's in SC or get confused as to whether it’s in NC or SC. Isn't the theme park there in both states?

It may not matter as much. Assuming somebody that is from KCMO is from Kansas is like assuming somebody from Manhattan is from Jersey. It’s would be annoying, trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:50 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
KCMO, the discussion several people have had here about coastal residents' stereotypes about the middle of the country, along with your point about the fact that K.C. has a MLB club, reminds me of a conversation I had a few years ago, which showed how deeply rooted some of these "flyover country" stereotypes can be. I knew a girl here in the Boston area, where I live, who went to Vegas, where she met a guy from Cleveland. Sometime soon after the trip to Vegas, she flew out to Cleveland to visit this guy for a weekend. So after she gets back from Cleveland, she tells me she had been surprised to find herself traveling around a metropolitan area all weekend. "I thought since it was in Ohio there would just be farms everywhere."

What made this really stand out to me was that this chick was no dummy. Quite the opposite. Sharp as the proverbial tack, actually. Talk with her for just a few minutes, and you'd really notice that she had a quick mind. This was just a case of sheer ignorance about places out there in the middle of the country away from her east coast enclave where she'd spent her whole life until she'd hit her early 20's and made a few trips to Vegas.

Your point about the Royals is what reminded me of this past conversation. My first reaction to this girl's misconceptions about what she had expected to find in the vicinity of Cleveland was something like, "Oh, come on. You know better than that. You know that Cleveland has professional sports teams, don't you? Doesn't that give you some clue that you're talking about a major city, not some backwater?" She just kind of gave me a puzzled look, and said "Hmmm, oh yeah, um, guess I never thought of that."

Kinda sad, actually.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
I have been reading this thread a while and do think some of this is a little overstated.
But a few points, Outside of Chicago, maybe Detroit at this point the other cities are considerably smaller than the North East or West Coast cities. I know exactly where KCMO is, I actually think it is a cool "little" city and I dont mean that in a bad way but honestly these cities today just really do not feel anywhere the scale of what people from the East Coast (More specifically the North East)are used to, so yes they are known but less prominent. Having said that I have always enjoyed my time in KC, great steaks and to your point was actually more interesting than I had expected; Indy has always been a huge disapointment to me especially relative to KC and it's downtown (or many other MW cities), KC has a cool even if almost quaint downtown, I still dread trips out to Eli Lilly - my friend from Jersey always says no wonder they made Prozac

Now having said all this, I now live in a city that to me growing up felt really small, growing up I had a lot exposure to both NYC and Philly, I had always thought Philly was really small in comparison but was the only perspective I had, until I started traveling

But truth be told the US has many great cities, I saw the comments on Cleveland, it seems to get a bad rap but I have always kind of liked the area and the people

On the areas that surround these cities, they are basically with subtle differences pretty much the same whether it is Naperville IL, Burligame CA, Arlington TX, Independance MO, or KOP PA

Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
Other common geographical gaffes:

-Denver is in the mountains

-When talking about Washington state, people bring up Virginia and Congress.

-Seattle = Washington.

-Mount St. Helens is in Oregon.

Some people just don't know. For example, a good segment of native Southern Californians don't know about anything beyond the Grapevine or Cajon Pass (except Vegas of course).

I've never heard of people not knowing where Charlotte is. The Hornets put them on the map back in the day.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I have been reading this thread a while and do think some of this is a little overstated.
But a few points, Outside of Chicago, maybe Detroit at this point the other cities are considerably smaller than the North East or West Coast cities. I know exactly where KCMO is, I actually think it is a cool "little" city and I dont mean that in a bad way but honestly these cities today just really do not feel anywhere the scale of what people from the East Coast (More specifically the North East)are used to, so yes they are known but less prominent. Having said that I have always enjoyed my time in KC, great steaks and to your point was actually more interesting than I had expected; Indy has always been a huge disapointment to me especially relative to KC and it's downtown (or many other MW cities), KC has a cool even if almost quaint downtown, I still dread trips out to Eli Lilly - my friend from Jersey always says no wonder they made Prozac

Now having said all this, I now live in a city that to me growing up felt really small, growing up I had a lot exposure to both NYC and Philly, I had always thought Philly was really small in comparison but was the only perspective I had, until I started traveling

But truth be told the US has many great cities, I saw the comments on Cleveland, it seems to get a bad rap but I have always kind of liked the area and the people

On the areas that surround these cities, they are basically with subtle differences pretty much the same whether it is Naperville IL, Burligame CA, Arlington TX, Independance MO, or KOP PA
Exactly my point. Cleveland is awesome by the way, one of the country's more interesting cities in my opinion.

I like Indy, but find it extremely overrated. I like it for what it is, but it just seems like a city that gets put on a pedestal at times while a city like KC is ignored and generally downplayed as a real city. You don't have to be from a very large city to think KC is a small podunk city, I get the same feedback from places like Louisville, Hartford, Buffalo, Jacksonville etc where people in those towns think KC is smaller than those towns. I think it has everything to do with the name and that's about it. I mean compared to NYC or even Philly, KC is small, but compared to Buffalo or Hartford KC is very large and compared to Cincy or Baltimore, KC is about the same. KC is not viewed like that. I think most group the city with Tulsa, Toledo, Ricmond etc (nothing against those places, they are just smaller).

A real city can't possibly located in "Kansas", so I think KC gets the typical "flyover" image that most cities between the coasts get, but I think KC gets it much worse than most because of its name and association with a state that people love stereotype, even if the urban part of the city is not even in that state, but I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Other common geographical gaffes:

-Denver is in the mountains

-When talking about Washington state, people bring up Virginia and Congress.

-Seattle = Washington.

-Mount St. Helens is in Oregon.

Some people just don't know. For example, a good segment of native Southern Californians don't know about anything beyond the Grapevine or Cajon Pass (except Vegas of course).

I've never heard of people not knowing where Charlotte is. The Hornets put them on the map back in the day.
Funny you mention Denver. Denver is my favorite city and Colorado is my favorite state. People out east have no idea how much more intense CO is than say WV or the mountains of PA. No idea. Some do that have been to CO, but most don't and they do think Denver is IN the mountains, when it's actually in western Kansas (as far as topography). The mountains are close by, but Denver is not in them. Although sprawl is creeping into the high country all along the front range, so that may not be so cut and dry in the near future.

To live in the USA and never go to CO (because you saw WV or rural PA) should be a crime .

Last edited by kcmo; 02-18-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

There are 14 cities larger than Minneapolis/St. Paul, and 8 of them are on the coasts, the rest are inland. Regardless what it "seems" like it's realtively large -- even if it's in the Midwest.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
There are 14 cities larger than Minneapolis/St. Paul, and 8 of them are on the coasts, the rest are inland. Regardless what it "seems" like it's realtively large -- even if it's in the Midwest.
Yes, and all comes with perspective

Old 02-18-2011, 03:11 PM

Quick, what state is Sioux City in? How about North Sioux City and South Sioux City?

Oh and guess what state North Kansas City is in?

And what are the four cities that make up the Quad Cities? Hmm, have you heard of the Quad Cities?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,189,754 times
KC is really pretty in parts. If people from the coasts don't realize that, too bad for them. It's just keeps KC from becoming the new hotspot like Austin. Overcrowded with terrible traffic.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
People out east have no idea how much more intense CO is than say WV or the mountains of PA. No idea.
That is so hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Quick, what state is Sioux City in? How about North Sioux City and South Sioux City?

Oh and guess what state North Kansas City is in?

And what are the four cities that make up the Quad Cities? Hmm, have you heard of the Quad Cities?
Sioux City is in Iowa.
North Sioux City is in South Dakota.
South Sioux City is in Nebraska.

North Kansas City is in Missouri.

Quad Cities: Davenport, Bettendorf, Moline, Rock Island. The Quad Cities straddle Iowa and Illinois along the Mississippi River.

I did not cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City