Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times

Advertisements

NYC: 36%
Miami: 60%
Los Angeles: 41%
San Francisco: 37%
San Jose: 37%
Chicago: 22%
San Diego: 26%
Houston: 26%
Phoenix: 20%
Philadelphia: 9%
Detroit: 5%
Dallas: 24%
San Antonio: 12%
DC: 14%

These are the foreign born populations which is a 'truer' measure of diversity because with this you get the ethnic communities, the languages on the street, etc I dunno how to break that number further down into various countries but I always felt MIA to be the most diverse city I visited in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
NYC: 36%
Miami: 60%
Los Angeles: 41%
San Francisco: 37%
San Jose: 37%
Chicago: 22%
San Diego: 26%
Houston: 26%
Phoenix: 20%
Philadelphia: 9%
Detroit: 5%
Dallas: 24%
San Antonio: 12%
DC: 14%

These are the foreign born populations which is a 'truer' measure of diversity because with this you get the ethnic communities, the languages on the street, etc I dunno how to break that number further down into various countries but I always felt MIA to be the most diverse city I visited in the USA.
That would mean Mattawa, WA with more than 70% foreign born is more diverse than Seattle, Miami, and almost every other city proper in the United States.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
That would mean Mattawa, WA with more than 70% foreign born is more diverse than Seattle, Miami, and almost every other city proper in the United States.
You can't focus on small towns because large cities will have neighborhoods far more diverse than many mattawas.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
You can't focus on small towns because large cities will have neighborhoods far more diverse than many mattawas.
Ok, works for me:

American FactFinder - Results
New York City: 8,078,471
Foreign Born New Yorkers: 2,971,143

Miami: 391,458
Foreign Born Miamians: 227,605

Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Ok, works for me:

American FactFinder - Results
New York City: 8,078,471
Foreign Born New Yorkers: 2,971,143

Miami: 391,458
Foreign Born Miamians: 227,605
If you want to say NYC is more diverse in MIA then go right ahead. I don't really care. To me Miami feels more diverse but a lot of that is opinion. My whole point of that post is that the foreign born pop. drives diversity. They are the people responsible for all the goodies people come to expect from a diverse area.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
seriously what does the majority of different ethnicities do for US?

I really want to know.

does 40% English, 30% Swedish and 30% Finnish really amount to diversity.

Less face it only a few nationalities bring things to the table that stand out. Italians, Irish, French groups contribute heavily to the cultural mix and these contributions last generations.

Having a bunch of one race Ethnicities does not mean much. After one generation they are all the regular same old same old. Just a regular bunch of white folks.

Having a nice mix of African, Indian, Chinese, South Americans, etc is true diversity.
Makes for a very interesting city.

FYI, I was not focusing on Chicago, but on Ethnicities in general.
Yup the English did not contribute a thing to US culture or Launguage
and just because people are the same color does not mean they more easily blend into one, then are 4th Generation Italian families in the Boston area that have not mixed with any other ethnic group, there are Little Italys, little Irelands, LIttle Polands ect all around the country.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
Hispanic population is Exploding, what a shocker!!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yup the English did not contribute a thing to US culture or Launguage
and just because people are the same color does not mean they more easily blend into one, then are 4th Generation Italian families in the Boston area that have not mixed with any other ethnic group, there are Little Italys, little Irelands, LIttle Polands ect all around the country.
Yeah, exactly.

You live in Boston, which has a HUGE recent Portuguese and Cape Verdean population. Do they count less in the diversity scale?

A huge chunk of NYC metro's Whites are recent immigrants from Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Do they contribute less to diversity?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:05 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Yeah, exactly.

You live in Boston, which has a HUGE recent Portuguese and Cape Verdean population. Do they count less in the diversity scale?

A huge chunk of NYC metro's Whites are recent immigrants from Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Do they contribute less to diversity?
I's fine with Measuring racial Diversity but I do dislike the "if your white you lose your ethnic culture" mindset, because it simply isn't true
I had a friend Growing up, he was Irish, when I stayed for dinner it was mostly Meat and Potatoes, he was 4th Generation, I was 4th Generation Italian and most of my dinner where Pasta w/ sause. or varying Italian Meals.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I's fine with Measuring racial Diversity but I do dislike the "if your white you lose your ethnic culture" mindset, because it simply isn't true
I had a friend Growing up, he was Irish, when I stayed for dinner it was mostly Meat and Potatoes, he was 4th Generation, I was 4th Generation Italian and most of my dinner where Pasta w/ sause. or varying Italian Meals.
Yeah exactly. I'd rather see an "ethnicity" list than some random formula that is flawed from the outset and has very little meaning in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City