Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Why is that?
Did you know that the population of non-Hispanic whites in California is 40%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 03:44 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Did you know that the population of non-Hispanic whites in California is 40%?
Ok. You still didn't answer my original question though. How aren't Metropolitan areas that are not majority non-Hispanic white not diverse?

We have not reached a point in this country where non-Hispanic whites do not make up at least a significant portion of the population (that I am aware of), so saying that a metropolitan area that isn't majority non-Hispanic white is not diverse is sort of an oxymoron.

It is also ignoring reality a bit. Of the 11 largest cities in the United States, only two have a super majority (greater than 60%) of non-Hispanic white residents (my original point), one of which is probably only a few years out from that no longer being true, while the rest are either majority minority (ugh, I hate that term with a passion) or all other "racial groups" are at parity with the non-Hispanic white population. That is rather interesting development considering this wasn't even close to being true 30 years ago. That's within my own life time. Demographics usually don't change on such a large scale across the entire country within one generation in any country.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That is common across the board. Most non black parents tell their daughters they will disown them if they marry a black man.
My friend from Mexico says her father says he might accept one if he plays for the NBA

All of the west may not have that issue, but I stand by my statement. The Blacks and Hispanics in the east get along a zillion times better than in the west.
Yeah you're probably right overall. Just wanted to point out that LA's issue in that regard is really just LA's issue, as too many people forget that there is anything in CA that is not LA. Your point is taken though.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ok. You still didn't answer my original question though. How aren't Metropolitan areas that are not majority non-Hispanic white not diverse?

We have not reached a point in this country where non-Hispanic whites do not make up at least a significant portion of the population (that I am aware of), so saying that a metropolitan area that isn't majority non-Hispanic white is not diverse is sort of an oxymoron.

It is also ignoring reality a bit. Of the 11 largest cities in the United States, only two have a super majority (greater than 60%) of non-Hispanic white residents (my original point), one of which is probably only a few years out from that no longer being true, while the rest are either majority minority (ugh, I hate that term with a passion) or all other "racial groups" are at parity with the non-Hispanic white population. That is rather interesting development considering this wasn't even close to being true 30 years ago. That's within my own life time. Demographics usually don't change on such a large scale across the entire country within one generation in any country.
Slow down, you're making too much sense! The people you're needing to explain this to do not believe in diversity in the sense that each human counts as one regardless of race, and they do not accept the idea of "diversity" following its actual definition with an even share of and representation of all races/ethnicities. IIRC the poster you're responding to believes that the national averages the way they currently are represent diversity and any group exceeding them makes things "disproportionate." Of course this only applies to the areas that aren't heavily or disproportionately represented in their favored Northeast cities (surprise surprise ).

Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
This is a great website for looking at changes in diversity and segregation in metro areas and in communities with 10,000 people or more: US2010

US2010

I believe they have information for school districts as well. US Schools

and more information: US2010

Great website for this topic.....

Here's another good website in regards to schools: http://www.s4.brown.edu/schoolsegregation/

Old 05-01-2012, 04:18 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
I have a huge problem with the data presented by the OP:

1) It assumes that all Whites and all Blacks are the same thing, without any regard to their different ethnicities. IE: A Russian and a French person aren't anything alike, and neither are a Black person from Georgia or a Congolese person anything alike!
2) It doesn't take into account ALL groups. Out of the 7-8 different census groups, you only calculated 5? How lazy!
3) Obviously given the above 2 facts, it makes metros out East look less diverse than they really are and makes metros out West look way more diverse than they really are.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,982 times
Well, it pretty much confirms what everyone pretty much knew,,,, that the most diverse areas are LA, SF bay, Houston, DC, Chicago, NYC, Miami,

No one would dispute that these are the most diverse metros, except the small differences in order maybe

Don't see what the problem is

Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Geez 5.4% of mixed race of San Fransico, wow i gotta go their so i can find somebody like me.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
I have a huge problem with the data presented by the OP:

1) It assumes that all Whites and all Blacks are the same thing, without any regard to their different ethnicities. IE: A Russian and a French person aren't anything alike, and neither are a Black person from Georgia or a Congolese person anything alike!
2) It doesn't take into account ALL groups. Out of the 7-8 different census groups, you only calculated 5? How lazy!
3) Obviously given the above 2 facts, it makes metros out East look less diverse than they really are and makes metros out West look way more diverse than they really are.
They do that with every race. Hispanic, white, black. Who cares, and the op is not lazy, what thread had you made thats so much better then this thread what.......Cleveland vs New York city?

Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
They do that with every race. Hispanic, white, black. Who cares, and the op is not lazy, what thread had you made thats so much better then this thread what.......Cleveland vs New York city?
So what you're saying is a place that is 33% Mexican, 33% African American, 33% Anglo White (there are many towns in TX and the rest of the South like this) from the South is more diverse than a place like Miami because you have a chance to meet a person of a different 'race'?

That makes no sense, at all!

That's why ethnicity rankings are more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City