Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
OC 26 45.61%
Houston 31 54.39%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:50 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times

Advertisements

COL-
QOL-
Infrastucture-
Diversity-
Amenities-
Safety-
Architecture-
History-
Food-
Higher EDU-
Overall-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 07:14 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
COL-
QOL-
Infrastucture-
Diversity-
Amenities-
Safety-
Architecture-
History-
Food-
Higher EDU-
Overall-
Over all living: OC. It's in Cali. It's by the beach. It's sandwiched between LA and San Diego and a drive from Las Vegas and Palm Springs. It has sought after areas like Newport Beach, Laguna Beach. And it's among the richest counties in the country.

Diversity: Houston. 50% white compared to OC's 64%. Of those both white and non-white, latinos make up 43% compared to 30% in OC.
Blacks make up 25% and asians 6% for Houston. In OC, blacks make up 2% and asians 16%

Infrastructure: OC. Concerning roads, Houston's commute time is better at 26 minutes to OC's 27 minutes. I'm guessing Houston has less traffic, but that's just an assumption based on commute times. But public schools (a few named the best in the country), and hospitals are top notch in OC and don't deal with overcrowding as Houston. Water quality and management are better in OC.

Amenities: Draw.
  1. Sports)Houston has more pro sports teams with Rockets, Astros, Dynamos, Aeros, Texans. OC only has Anaheim Angels and Mighty Ducks.
  1. Shopping) OC has better shopping with high end places like Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Yves Saint Laurent as well as lower end brands like H&M.
  1. Museums) Houston has better museums like museum of Natural Science, Menil Collection, Space Center.
  1. Amusement Parks) OC has the Disneyland parks and Knott's Berry Farm.

Safety:
OC. OC had 75 homicides for 2.8 million population in 2010. Houston had 267 homicides for 2.3 million in 2010.

Architecture: Draw. They sort of look the same.

History: Draw. Both are good at demolishing whatever history they had for new developments

Food:
Draw. Houston has Tex-Mexican and BBQ. OC has french, Chinese.

Higher EDU
: Houston Rice is ranked 17th nationally vs. UCI's 41st.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Over all living: OC. It's in Cali. It's by the beach. It's sandwiched between LA and San Diego and a drive from Las Vegas and Palm Springs. It has sought after areas like Newport Beach, Laguna Beach. And it's among the richest counties in the country.

Diversity: Houston. 50% white compared to OC's 64%. Of those both white and non-white, latinos make up 43% compared to 30% in OC.
Blacks make up 25% and asians 6% for Houston. In OC, blacks make up 2% and asians 16%

Infrastructure: OC. Concerning roads, Houston's commute time is better at 26 minutes to OC's 27 minutes. I'm guessing Houston has less traffic, but that's just an assumption based on commute times. But public schools (a few named the best in the country), and hospitals are top notch in OC and don't deal with overcrowding as Houston. Water quality and management are better in OC.

Amenities: Draw.
  1. Sports)Houston has more pro sports teams with Rockets, Astros, Dynamos, Aeros, Texans. OC only has Anaheim Angels and Mighty Ducks.
  1. Shopping) OC has better shopping with high end places like Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Yves Saint Laurent as well as lower end brands like H&M.
  1. Museums) Houston has better museums like museum of Natural Science, Menil Collection, Space Center.
Amusement Parks) OC has the Disneyland parks and Knott's Berry Farm.

Safety:
OC. OC had 75 homicides for 2.8 million population in 2010. Houston had 267 homicides for 2.3 million in 2010.

Architecture: Draw. They sort of look the same.

History: Draw. Both are good at demolishing whatever history they had for new developments

Food:
Draw. Houston has Tex-Mexican and BBQ. OC has french, Chinese.

Higher EDU
: Houston Rice is ranked 17th nationally vs. UCI's 41st.
Houston has BBQ??? Please point me to the nearest good BBQ joint.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:18 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Houston has BBQ??? Please point me to the nearest good BBQ joint.
You got me. I don't know about Houston's BBQ. It's Texas. I assume it should be good there.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
You got me. I don't know about Houston's BBQ. It's Texas. I assume it should be good there.
Partially correct. Houston does Chinese and French better than BBQ. You want some REAL TX BBQ; try Central Texas region. You got BBQ joints around here, but I've yet to find a good one up to par.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,421 times
Houston!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:59 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Oc!!!!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Hmm... comparing apples to oranges here.

A better comparison would be OC to Fort Bend County or maybe Montgomery County. That way it would be a suburban county near the major city (much like OC to L.A.)

Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
OC has 3.2 million people so it can be compared to Houston. Prefer OC!

Prefer Mexican food in OC as well.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City