Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
OC 26 45.61%
Houston 31 54.39%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times

Advertisements

How is this an odd comparison? They are statistical peers. La vs htown would be odd, because houston doesnt compare, and comparing suburbs wouldn't work either because fort bend is not on the same level as oc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 07:10 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
How is this an odd comparison? They are statistical peers. La vs htown would be odd, because houston doesnt compare, and comparing suburbs wouldn't work either because fort bend is not on the same level as oc.
I think the only reason people are finding the comparison odd is because a county is being compared to a city. A good comparison would be Harris County vs Orange County. Of course Orange County wins! It's one of the best counties in the U.S. while Harris County is irrelevant to most people. How many people actually even know that Houston is in Harris County?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:17 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I would say Vietnamese is about even. Chinese food sucks in both cities, at least by SF/NYC standards. Mexican I prefer OC though Chewy's is pretty good. Houston obviously wins for BBQ. To the extent there are delis in both cities, OC wins on that, although Kenny and Ziggy's is excellent, especially for a city with a tiny Jewish population.
Quite honestly I wasn't all that impressed by NYC's Chinese food. My expectations were pretty high & what I had there was no better than what I could have gotten in Houston. While I loved the dense urban vibe of NYC's Chinatown/Little Italy its obviously very old & run down looking, some people like that, I don't. Houston's "New" Chinatown is suburban in feel, but everything there is brand new & is pretty dense by sprawlbelt standards.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-15-2011 at 12:29 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I would say Vietnamese is about even. Chinese food sucks in both cities, at least by SF/NYC standards. Mexican I prefer OC though Chewy's is pretty good. Houston obviously wins for BBQ. To the extent there are delis in both cities, OC wins on that, although Kenny and Ziggy's is excellent, especially for a city with a tiny Jewish population.
Chinese food sucks in the OC? I would imagine it didn't do to all the Chinese enclaves they have.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:51 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Definately Houston for me. I prefer a big city over a giant county with bland developments and uninspiring architecture. Houston is big and spreadout but you do have a choice of living in close in neighborhoods with various styles of architecture, old and new. Be close to great cultural amenities, professional sports teams, great shopping, lots of restaurants and employment centers. Plus its pretty diverse. I live in Los Angeles and I rarely go down to the OC...no reason to.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Chinese food sucks in the OC? I would imagine it didn't do to all the Chinese enclaves they have.
OC is more Vietnamese and Korean. Chinatown in LA and in the San Gabriel Valley isn't bad, but it's hard to beat SF Chinatown or NYC.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Definately Houston for me. I prefer a big city over a giant county with bland developments and uninspiring architecture. Houston is big and spreadout but you do have a choice of living in close in neighborhoods with various styles of architecture, old and new. Be close to great cultural amenities, professional sports teams, great shopping, lots of restaurants and employment centers. Plus its pretty diverse. I live in Los Angeles and I rarely go down to the OC...no reason to.
I see OC as having a lot of the same things. I live in LA also, but I do enjoy OC. Large swaths of OC are simialr cookie cutter, particularly South County, but there is a lot of diverse feel in the neighborhoods.

Newport vs. Huntington vs. Anaheim vs. Fullerton.

Anaheim has baseball and hockey. If you live in Fullerton, Dodger stadium and Staples aren't all that far!

If one lives in Katy, TX it's the same distance to Astrodome.

South Coast plaza in OC has great shopping.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
You're comparing a city to a suburban county. That's like comparing Philadelphia to Broward County, Florida. It's an odd comparison. I don't understand why you are surprised many find it odd.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Still the feel of central Houston and the close proximity to great museums, downtown, the theater district, Minutemaid Park, Toyota Center, great hospitals and great shopping is the key for me. And I've been to a baseball game in Anaheim....no thanks!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You're comparing a city to a suburban county. That's like comparing Philadelphia to Broward County, Florida. It's an odd comparison. I don't understand why you are surprised many find it odd.
Houston is physically about the size of a county, and has urban and suburban sections. OC also has urban and suburban parts, and again are statistically similar. City and county are just words, numbers don't lie. Phillly and broward are statistically nothing alike. Pay attention to the numbers ppl. Not the symantics. Would jville florida be superior to hudson nj because one calls itself a city and the other calls itself a county. With words things are relative. With numbers they are not. From a functional standpoint however, i can see your point, seeing as houston contains the core of a metropolis while oc functions largely as a suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City