Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM

93 posts, read 201,172 times

Advertisements

Got job offers from both cities (Nasa)...wanted to know the pro's and cons of the cities. I am a young single male and i take into account lifestyle, nightlife,cultural activities as well as things to do indoors and outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I would say DC in a landslide. The cultural activities are limitless, the city is very diverse with people from all over the country/world with varying viewpoints, running/biking/hiking/rowing/boating opportunities in-town, DC has a huge young professional demographic and as a result a great nightlife/restaurant scene, a world class public transit system where you can leave your car parked most of the time, four distinct seasons (i.e. not screaming hot/humid for 6 months) and a milder winter than the other Northeast cities.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
I agree with DC. I've lived in Houston, and while it's a great city and I love it there, it can't compare to the vibe of DC. My son (early 20's) lived in DC last year while doing an internship and absolutely loved it. It's a city full of young professionals. There are endless things to do and wonderful restaurants. My son's comment has been all along is that he he would love to go back and spend a few years there once he finishes grad school. Funny thing is, he will probably end up in Houston.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,973,561 times
I've travelled to both cities often for work. The main draws to Houston would be its unusually low cost of living for a large city and its mild winters. That might appeal to someone with a family more than a single person, where you can live with roommates to cut costs.

DC is unique, as it has built in advantages being the national capital with amenities bankrolled by deep federal pockets. Commuting from the suburbs in DC, though, seems unusually stressful even by big-city standards. If you choose to live there you should absolutely pay up to live inside the beltway; otherwise, you'd be better off in Houston.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 PM

976 posts, read 1,055,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would say DC in a landslide. The cultural activities are limitless, the city is very diverse with people from all over the country/world with varying viewpoints, running/biking/hiking/rowing/boating opportunities in-town, DC has a huge young professional demographic and as a result a great nightlife/restaurant scene, a world class public transit system where you can leave your car parked most of the time, four distinct seasons (i.e. not screaming hot/humid for 6 months) and a milder winter than the other Northeast cities.
Most of what you listed is also available in Houston, Not as much of a landslide as you think.

Cultural Activities- Read Up , Houston has premiere cultural institutions (museums, opera, theater, etc.)

Houston is 3rd I believe in Foreign Embassies so the diplomat feel is here, albeit less than DC.

Diverse City- Houston having the larger metro probably makes it slightly more diverse than DC and YES everyone's viewpoints are welcomed in Houston. We currently have an openly gay woman democrat mayou and nobody cares.

Running/biking/hiking/rowing/boating- running at Rice U or Memorial, biking is allowed over the city, there are parks around the city to hike and lakes to boat plus Houston is less than an hour from the coast and even closer if you work at NASA.

Young Professional Crowd- Houston is home to 2 Tier One Research Universities and tends to attract most of the graduating students from other universities in the region. Like DC, Houston is a magnet city for attracting young professionals because of its diverse job market.

Nightlife- Again, I see it every weekend in Houston. (Uptown, Washington Avenue, The Rice Village, Downtown, etc.)

World Class Public Transit
- DC has us beat here but Houston is currently constructing light rail to connect the urban core.

Weather
- Houston has 3-4 brutal hot months and the rest is actually quite mild (like today). Depends what you are looking for.

Also from a historical standpoint Houston and DC are the only two cities in the Unites States that were created to be the capital of a nation. Houston the republic of Texas and DC USA.

Not quite a landslide after all, is it?

Old 02-25-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I've travelled to both cities often for work. The main draws to Houston would be its unusually low cost of living for a large city and its mild winters. That might appeal to someone with a family more than a single person, where you can live with roommates to cut costs.

DC is unique, as it has built in advantages being the national capital with amenities bankrolled by deep federal pockets. Commuting from the suburbs in DC, though, seems unusually stressful even by big-city standards. If you choose to live there you should absolutely pay up to live inside the beltway; otherwise, you'd be better off in Houston.
A one bedroom apartment inside the loop in an urban area of Houston would cost you about $1,250-$1,500 a month.

I wouldn't say this is a low cost of living. If you want to live in a starter home 30 miles from downtown is where you will find the cost savings.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:04 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
A one bedroom apartment inside the loop in an urban area of Houston would cost you about $1,250-$1,500 a month.

I wouldn't say this is a low cost of living. If you want to live in a starter home 30 miles from downtown is where you will find the cost savings.
Why would he live in DT Houston when NASA is in suburban Clear Lake, especially with a family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
DC is unique, as it has built in advantages being the national capital with amenities bankrolled by deep federal pockets.
Those lobbyists tend to raise the COL by blowing $300 on wine while taking a Congressman or Senator to dinner.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post

That's not true. You can easily find an apartment inside the loop in many of the nicer areas like Midtown and Montrose for less than $1200 and it would be a true one bedroom and pretty nice. In the ranges you listed, you'd be looking at premium high-rises. Good luck getting a bedroom in a shootout shack, with no bathroom in DC for that much. (The expense in Houston usually comes if you're a family looking for a home. Property taxes = $$$).

For a younger, single-person experience though, DC has much more to offer is the simple fact of the matter.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 02-25-2012 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 04:36 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,275 times
Ok, here is the real difference.

Do you want to live in a dense city where driving is a pain but not necessary, where you are going to be walking a lot, more akin to say NYC? Go with DC.

Do you want lots of space, a big apartment, a yard, and dont mind driving everywhere? Go with Houston.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Why would he live in DT Houston when NASA is in suburban Clear Lake, especially with a family?

Those lobbyists tend to raise the COL by blowing $300 on wine while taking a Congressman or Senator to dinner.
He says he is a young single male. I would think the oceans of single family homes out in the Clear Lake are would not be for him.

OP look up Washington Avenue, Midtown, Uptown, possibly downtown, Greenway Plaza, or Museum District/ Hermann Park area.

...and he can expect to pay about $1,250 for a one bedroom in a decent apartment complex in one of those areas with a parking garage. There are some exceptions for some older complexes but typically that is the rate.

Source: Inner loop renter since 2002
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City