Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:09 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,380,192 times

Advertisements

Every year, the top officials, policy wonks, and business managers convene at the annual State of the Valley conference to discuss and debate the health of the region. Over a thousand attendees trekked to San Jose, Calif., on Feb. 18 for the release of this year’s report. Published since 1995 by Joint Venture Silicon Valley Network and distributed for free, the new 2011 Index of Silicon Valley reported bleak indicators and a gloomy outlook.
The event provided Valley insiders a moment to reflect on the economic storm, and the mood was darkly optimistic. A persistent phrase tossed out was the “new normal,” old Wall Street jargon describing a repressed economic environment. Growth is too slow to bring down the unemployment rate, and government intervenes to save a struggling private sector.

The State of Silicon Valley | Newgeography.com

18Montclair will be on fire if he reads that ahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 AM

36,666 posts, read 67,609,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
18Montclair will be on fire if he reads that ahaha
Oh, so this entire thread is thinly veiled trolling?

Thanks for clearing that up from the beginning so I dont have to waste time-I wish everyone else did that.

And word to the wise, We can find bleak articles and positive articles about anywhere in the world, be it China or Texas or Wall Street or Silicon Valley and so on.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:30 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,073,423 times
Innovation comes in a price you cant buy, the Silicon Valley leads it. The Bay Area in general is going to be a modern hub for innovation throughout the world.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Innovation comes in a price you cant buy, the Silicon Valley leads it. The Bay Area in general is going to be a modern hub for innovation throughout the world.
Well, for the time being anyway. In the end, innovation knows no address and it can incubate anywhere. China and India are our biggest competitors and they are climbing fast.

Which at the end of the day is okay because all of humanity benefits when competition for innovation heats up.

With respect to the "State of Silicon Valley", businesses be it in SV or anywhere, are never going to be completely satisfied unless they basically:

1. Operate for free without paying taxes.
2. Treat their employees like cattle
3. Have permission to crap all over the enviroment.

By their very nature, business are focused on optimizing productivity while spending as little as possible.

But we cannot let these corporations run our lives and dictate to us what is acceptable. Look at the bail outs that occurred in the automotive and banking industries? Not to mention the tens of billions taxpayers fork over to oil companies every year-even though they are among the most profitable companies in the world!

And the very people who push so strongly to give billions to rich companies are the same ones who villify the poor, sick, old and young. I will never for the life of me understand that.

Anyway, one thing I appreciate about Silicon Valley is that generally speaking, greed takes a back seat to innovation for innovation's sake, not for innovation for profits sake. But dont tell shareholders that. LOL

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box now.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh, so this entire thread is thinly veiled trolling?

Thanks for clearing that up from the beginning so I dont have to waste time-I wish everyone else did that.

And word to the wise, We can find bleak articles and positive articles about anywhere in the world, be it China or Texas or Wall Street or Silicon Valley and so on.
Ahaha no absolutely not.But when I red it I thought "18Montclair"

Old 02-27-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Ahaha no absolutely not.But when I red it I thought "18Montclair"
LOL...fair enough.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Well, for the time being anyway. In the end, innovation knows no address and it can incubate anywhere. China and India are our biggest competitors and they are climbing fast.
Hahaha, this is one I can relate with. Being half Asian Indian myself, I do think that the country has a bright future but not so much off of innovation though. One thing India & China cant ever replicate that the United States & Japan foster are the innovative ideas that come forth.

India & China don't necessarily create, they adapt and modernize anything and or everything they can. Computers, they take what's already been invented and they make it more modern, but global competition even with that is fierce. They are good at what they do, and boy the United States needs to follow suit and keep up with that.
Quote:
Which at the end of the day is okay because all of humanity benefits when competition for innovation heats up.
Definitely. So long as free enterprise exists in the world, and ideas are shared between nations.

We're headed into a global economy, my favorite report was that states and countries are taking backseats to cities, and in my opinion that would be very true. Cities are powerful and compact and they're the point of innovation, Bay Area's innovation benefits the United States but it escalates the Bay Area into a whole different stratosphere than anywhere else in the country in those terms.

I feel like cities just don't get their due at times, they're accredited for being the driving forces of every country. Success garnered from one area benefits us all, but that success propels that area above others.

For that reason alone I believe that the Bay Area will probably have the most modern and competitive economy in the country and will join New York at the top and maybe the DMV depending on their situation and if they can modernize and innovate their economy further.
Quote:
But we cannot let these corporations run our lives and dictate to us what is acceptable. Look at the bail outs that occurred in the automotive and banking industries? Not to mention the tens of billions taxpayers fork over to oil companies every year-even though they are among the most profitable companies in the world!
That's true.

With power does come responsibilities. That's what separates our country as of now from India or China, the regulations that the country has set to protect the rights of the workers, unions, and other groups. Success comes from a prosperous and stable work environment.

It's something that the DMV is learning itself this week.
Quote:
Anyway, one thing I appreciate about Silicon Valley is that generally speaking, greed takes a back seat to innovation for innovation's sake, not for innovation for profits sake. But dont tell shareholders that. LOL
It's astonishing when you think about it how one niche leads to the creation of more.

- Telecommunications? Check.

- Finance? Check.

- Banking? Check.

- Energy? Check.

- Autobmobile development? Check.

- Film & Entertainment? Check.

Everything is a go, truly I'll say this and I know people who quote me to say otherwise will do it out of envy (in my opinion) the Bay Area's made itself into something that no one else can mess with at this point (besides maybe New York). The country does come together and all contribute something that other parts cant and thats the beauty of the United States, but I do firmly believe that some areas carry more power and clout than others.

The Bay Area is amongst one of those areas, along with New York & DMV being the other two, it just cant be replicated further. And one more argument that I've seen is how the ONLY factor that cuts into the Bay Area's success is size, if it was Chicago's size its economy would be Los Angeles's size, if it was Los Angeles's size it's economy would exceed that of even New York. It's astonishing and I've gotten to the point where I don't believe anyone else can tell me otherwise on that level of prominence.

I know a lot of people here will protest to what we have to think, but honestly as a native born Chicagoan & Asian American, I will tell you that the Bay Area has exceeded Chicago, Los Angeles, & Boston, and rightfully so.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:20 AM

Honestly, Silicon Valley is great and astonishing.But I'm happy to see other US competitors like North Carolina or Austin, because competition is very good for all, and for Silicon Valley too.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Honestly, Silicon Valley is great and astonishing.But I'm happy to see other US competitors like North Carolina or Austin, because competition is very good for all, and for Silicon Valley too.
I want to see more innovation from North Carolina or Austin though. Like more big named companies starting there. For Austin, I can only think of Dell off the bat.

For Silicon Valley, I can think of at least 30 instantly. Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Adobe, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, AMD, & so many others. I would to see Austin & North Carolina get big name companies out there too, ones that they garnered on their own with their innovation.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,301,514 times
Why do you think the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is on par with New York and Silicon Valley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City