Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst dressed city
San Francisco 53 19.27%
Portland 44 16.00%
Houston 77 28.00%
Detroit 46 16.73%
Other 55 20.00%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
At least SF is home to Banana & Gap.

Levi's too.

I had always thought San Francisco was supposed to be somewhat of a fashionable city no?
San Francisco is one of the most fashionable cities in the country. Its inclusion in this thread is ridiculous but whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 11:12 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,850,558 times
Have you ever even been to Atlanta, Danny? It's pretty much just like Houston: dressed down whites and dressed to the nines blacks.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:16 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Have you ever even been to Atlanta, Danny. It's pretty much just like Houston: dressed down whites and dressed to the nines blacks.
Yes, and I haven't spent much time there. I admit, I'm really trying to give Houston & San Francisco a hard time here. They're big and major cities, and they not only deserve to be up there but they should, they need to realize how much capital they can bank off fashion.

Money matters, global name recognition matters, what some people wear to the club is irrelevant. Fashion shows, fashion boutiques, name recognition, global designers, glamor, those things matter in fashion. Not the mention taking care of your image in a socially correct and fashionable way.

01. New York (+1) – Reclaims the top spot which it sees as its rightful place.

02. Hong Kong (+5) – The highest ranking ever for an Asian city.

03. London (+2) – The first time, the No. 2 ranking goes to anyone other than the Classic Four (New York, Paris, London and Milan).

04. Paris (-1) – No. 1 in our hearts by No. 4 in the eyes of the media.

05. Los Angeles (+1) – Film is playing an ever more important place in the world of fashion.

06. Milano (-5) – Milan Fashion Week was widely considered a disappointment.

07. Sydney (+2) – Sydney and Melbourne are both energizing the fashion world from Oz.

08. Miami (+5) – strength in swimwear propels Miami into the Top Ten.

09. Barcelona (+5) – Once again, take the top spot in Iberia.

10. Madrid (+11) – Impressive leap into the Top Ten.

11. Melbourne (+14) – Sydney strides ahead; Melbourne even moreso.

12. Shanghai (+2) — Hong Kong and Shanghai both outpace Tokyo.

13. Sao Paulo (-5) – No. 1 in Latin America, again.

14. Tokyo (-2) – Maintaining a relatively strong message while slipping a bit.

15. Singapore (+5) – Strong fashion infrastructure helps it keep pace.

16. Las Vegas (-6) – Hard economic times make a dent in Vegas’ standing.

17. Amsterdam (NL) – Move on to the list for the first time.

18. Berlin (+1) – Hard work helps it main spot in the Top Twenty.

19. Rio de Janeiro (-1) – Strong Latin presence yet slips further behind Sao Paulo.

20. Moscow (+2) – Back in the Top Twenty where it belongs.

21. Dubai (-10) – Transformation of Burg Dubai into Burj Khalifa mirrors the local fashion industry’s trajectory for the year.

22. Rome (-18) – Steepest decline for the survey, ever.

23. Cape Town (NL) – Nice debut for a city known for its multicultural beauty

24. Buenos Aires (0) – Remains No. 3 in Latin America reflecting its glorious past.

25. Johannesburg (NL) – A big year for South Africa with two debuts in the Top Twenty-five.

26. Prague (+3) – Proud city further strengthens its fashion credentials.

27. Vienna (NL) – Strong debut for the capital of the old Hapsburg Empire.

28. Mumbai (-12) – Mumbai falls out of the Top Twenty, but Delhi falls further.

29. Mexico City (+1) – Tops in Central America, again.

30. New Delhi (-13) – Though strengthening its fashion infrastructure, falls further behind Mumbai

31. Santiago (-8) – Making fashion strides while slipping a bit.

32. Bali (NL) – Solid debut for the Indonesian Archipelago.

33. Stockholm (-7) – Once more, tops in Scandinavia.

34. Copenhagen (NL) – Debuts right behind Stockholm.

35. Bangkok (-8) – Falling further behind in the fashion race.

36. Warsaw (NL) – Moves into the top tier in 2010.

37. Chicago (NL) – The Second City makes the list for the first time.

38. Toronto (NL) – Toronto edges Montreal for the top Canadian entry.

39. Krakow (-11) – Maintains a rather unique and creative niche in the industry.

40. (Tie) Dallas (NL) – There are more than cowboys in this emerging regional capital.

40. (Tie) Atlanta (NL) – More than CNN is making an international impact from Hot ‘Lanta.

Source: The Global Language Monitor » Blog Archive » New York Regains Fashion Capital Crown from Milan

Look, I'm not saying people in San Francisco & Houston don't know what fashion is, and hell, they're probably not the only cities that should be in this thread. But lets not try to be a homer about, they do NOT carry their weight here. It makes no difference if Prada or whatever is headquartered there if it doesn't make a fashionable appeal. Lets stop with the homerism and face reality, the 6th largest & 8th largest Metropolitan Areas don't carry their weight in this regard, lets hope they do one day and realize how much they can bank off this.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Yes, and I haven't spent much time there. I admit, I'm really trying to give Houston & San Francisco a hard time here. They're big and major cities, and they not only deserve to be up there but they should, they need to realize how much capital they can bank off fashion.

Money matters, global name recognition matters, what some people wear to the club is irrelevant. Fashion shows, fashion boutiques, name recognition, global designers, glamor, those things matter in fashion. Not the mention taking care of your image in a socially correct and fashionable way.

Source: The Global Language Monitor » Blog Archive » New York Regains Fashion Capital Crown from Milan
Nooowww I see where you're coming from. That list. Except for one thing: we're not talking about fashion capitals, we're talking about best-dressed cities. A city can be well dressed without being a major fashion hub.

It is true what you said about Houston generally not being very innovative when it comes to fashion, but they doesn't mean people there can't dress. So that source is pretty irrelevant to this particular subject.

You seem to be stressing the fact that I posted club pics, but guess what? I'm sure many of those people dress just as well everyday. And who's being a homer? You're the one from Houston, not me.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Nooowww I see where you're coming from. That list. Except for one thing: we're not talking about fashion capitals, we're talking about best-dressed cities. A city can be well dressed without being a major fashion hub.
No its not. That rank speaks truth. Fashionable cities show they're fashionable cities, Houston does not. San Francisco does not.

Sorry, they need work work on it. It's a great industry it really is, both cities will do wonders being in it, but they're not they're too busy not caring. And its true, neither are on the innovative side when it comes to fashion. Whether its street on daily fashion or fashion shows. The average San Franciscan & Houstonian can wear cool clothes all they want but there's nothing innovative about it. It's following a trend not setting them, that isn't highly fashionable.
Quote:
It is true what you said about Houston generally not being very innovative when it comes to fashion, but they doesn't mean people there can't dress. So that source is pretty irrelevant to this particular subject.
The source speaks truth. Fashionable cities get their acclaim and their perks for being fashionable destinations, for being innovators and leaders in the fashion game. People in those cities show it, Dallas shows it way more than Houston does, you know this is true. Dallasities in general are generally more fashionable than Houstonians.

Los Angelenos are generally way more fashionable than San Franciscans, I don't even know how this one can be argued.
Quote:
You seem to be stressing the fact that I posted club pics, but guess what? I'm sure many of those people dress just as well everyday. And who's being a homer? You're the one from Houston, not me.
How am I being a homer, I've been going against Houston & San Francisco this whole thread. They need to work on it, they're not on par with other cities of their size and stature. Neither of them compare well with the fashion scenes or the daily everyday fashionable people in the cities in their respective states, Dallas & Los Angeles are just better. Kind of end of story there.

You know what the most disappointing thing is? Both are really rich cities with a lot of wealth, but their fashion scenes don't show for it. Both of them are richer than Los Angeles & Dallas (by most metrics) but Los Angeles & Dallas have a far better fashion scene than both of these two cities, Houston & San Francisco.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:39 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Black women in Houston can dress and suburban black women in Dallas can dress especially the ones south of I 30. In DFW you will see some nicely dressed black professionals in places like Addison, Desoto, Crowley, Mansfield, etc. There are some beautiful well dress young black women around Eastchase Parkway in far east Fort Worth.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
No its not. That list speaks truth. Fashionable cities show they're fashionable cities, Houston does not. San Francisco does not.

Sorry, they need work work on it. It's a great industry it really is, both cities will do wonders being in it, but they're not they're too busy not caring. And its true, neither are on the innovative side when it comes to fashion. Whether its street on daily fashion or fashion shows. The average San Franciscan & Houstonian can wear cool clothes all they want but there's nothing innovative about it. It's following a trend not setting them, that isn't highly fashionable.

The source speaks truth. Fashionable cities get their acclaim and their perks for being fashionable destinations, for being innovators and leaders in the fashion game. People in those cities show it, Dallas shows it way more than Houston does, you know this is true. Dallasities in general are generally more fashionable than Houstonians.

Los Angelenos are generally way more fashionable than San Franciscans, I don't even know how this one can be argued.
That list does not rank best dressed cities. It's pretty much a ranking of those cities' place in the INDUSTRY. Having an industry doesn't necessarily make your city better dressed. I don't know why you seem to think this is the case. I honestly don't know how to explain to you better, but you think you know everything anyway, so I'll just leave it alone.

Quote:
How am I being a homer, I've been going against Houston & San Francisco this whole thread. They need to work on it, they're not on par with other cities of their size and stature. Neither of them compare well with the fashion scenes or the daily everyday fashionable people in the cities in their respective states, Dallas & Los Angeles are just better. Kind of end of story there.
You need to work on your comprehension skills. I didn't say you were a homer, I said how can I be a homer when I'm not even from Houston.

And need I say again, we're not discussing fashion industries. In fact, that's quite a bit off topic. And if memory serves me correctly, that's something you absolutely hate; yet here you are doing it.

Worst/Best dressed cities has only to do with who's wearing what on the street or in a store, it isn't a discussion about where a city ranks on being recognized as a fashion city.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Black women in Houston can dress and suburban black women in Dallas can dress especially the ones south of I 30. In DFW you will see some nicely dressed black professionals in places like Addison, Desoto, Crowley, Mansfield, etc. There are some beautiful well dress young black women around Eastchase Parkway in far east Fort Worth.
What about the bruhs? lol

Old 02-14-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
That list does not rank best dressed cities. It's pretty much a ranking of those cities' place in the INDUSTRY. Having an industry doesn't necessarily make your city better dressed. I don't know why you seem to think this is the case. I honestly don't know how to explain to you better, but you think you know everything anyway, so I'll just leave it alone.
I don't care about that though, Green.

This is not an opinionated type of thread where someone can say "Oh I think Houston is okay", its the self proclaimed freakin 4th largest city in the country with a Fashion Industry & Fashion Scene that will make people go like "the devil is going on there?".

You seem to show you don't want to accept that, the fashion industry attracts fashiuon labels, the fashion industry is more prominent in cities that actually give a flipping care for fashion. Houston doesn't give two cares in the world about it at all. That's why Houstonians on a daily basis prove to not be innovative, not to be fashionable, not to care about attracting anything about the fashion industry.

What aren't you understanding about what I'm saying. Here I'll put it in algebraic sequence for you: Los Angeles + Fashionable People + Interest in Fashion + Money to show for fashion = Prosperous location for the fashion industry.

Houston + Weak sense of fashion + No innovative fashion + fashion industry + No general interest in fashion by majority unfashionable locals = not happening, and bad fashion scene for such a large city. (Apply same concept to San Francisco)

You think the Fashion Industry goes to places where people don't care about fashion? Look at the list and see where those real cities in real life ranked and what they ranked for. Miami for swimsuit, Dallas for culture, things like that because the people in those cities invested their time into making those innovative concepts for fashion because get this, its actually a trend in those cities. It is NOT a trend in Houston, it is NOT a trend in San Francisco, it is NOT a trend in Detroit, it is NOT a trend in Philadelphia. Why the devil do you think these cities that aren't fashion crazed never get anything internationally acclaimed for their fashion scene? Because they don't care for it, they're busy doing what they do.
Quote:
Worst/Best dressed cities has only to do with who's wearing what on the street or in a store, it isn't a discussion about where a city ranks on being recognized as a fashion city.
No, to get high end stores, a city has to meet the demands to attract them. That demand obviously exists more in some cities more so than others, Los Angeles & Dallas more so than Houston & San Francisco.

I'm done arguing this with you, you'll argue this to death and you wont even try to understand what I'm trying to say at all. You wont even make an attempt at it for some reason. I am a resident of Houston, and have lived in the Bay Area before, they aren't trendy or fashionable cities to begin with. They're your average cities that are large, where people do other things than care for fashion.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 AM

I'll continue discussing it with you when you get back on topic

And someone needs to explain to this child that what is considered fashionable is relative (even I never used to realize that). What looks good to you may not look good to me. It would be someone young who thinks it's all about labels and expensive clothes.

But anyway, I voted "other". I honestly feel that San Antonio is the worst dressed major city I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City