Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,022 times

Advertisements

i'm thinking phoenix, because it's growing so damn fast and it's hard to develop any form of public transportation system under those conditions. is anywhere worse? i could be completely wrong about phoenix, that's why i'm asking this question!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
i'm thinking phoenix, because it's growing so damn fast and it's hard to develop any form of public transportation system under those conditions. is anywhere worse? i could be completely wrong about phoenix, that's why i'm asking this question!
lol I didn't read the correct name for this thread, I thought it said "cities with the best PT", and you mentioned Phoenix........ I was like what are you thinking?!?!

Phoenix, Columbus, Jacksonville and Indianapolis. All of these cities are growing very fast, but do not have the best PT for the growth. Besides that all three are very attractive places to live, minus Phoenix. Overrated and the smog sucks!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Miami is pretty bad. All they have is a joke "Tri-Rail" which is pretty much the train to nowhere, and then there are the buses which are great if you like armed robbery, and that's it. For a major city, it has to be the worst although from what I understand Phoenix may be even worse, as I think it doesn't even have a commuter train. Orlando is also really bad, all it has is a runs-every-hour bus system.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:11 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
I think it would be most fair to separate the cities into 2 categories - Sun Belt cities that developed significantly after 1950, and non-Sun Belt cities (primarily in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, and parts of the Pacific Coast) that were significantly developed before 1950. Generally-speaking, newer cities aren't going to have good public transit service in part because they are growing so fast and weren't that big in the era when not nearly as many people had access to private automobiles. In the former category, Phoenix has to rank pretty high, and I suspect Las Vegas would be up there too. In the latter category, Indianapolis and Columbus would probably rank high. Indianapolis in particular does not have good public transit, or at least many users. Chicago, a city less than 200 miles from Indy, has more public transit riders in one work week than Indianapolis does in a year!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
I am currently upset with Baltimore's lack of transit options. It has the metro (one line), the light rail (one line). The state needs to get on the ball and improve it.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:41 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
In the NE/Midwest its Detroit, Buffalo, and Baltimore as far as subway/rail lines. I dont even know if Indianapolis or Columbus have one at all though.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:07 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I am currently upset with Baltimore's lack of transit options. It has the metro (one line), the light rail (one line). The state needs to get on the ball and improve it.
They really need to get that weekend Penn Line service they've promised up and running. I realize that's different than what you are saying, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Two letters: LA

As great of a city as it is, what a nightmare!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:16 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
In the NE/Midwest its Detroit, Buffalo, and Baltimore as far as subway/rail lines. I dont even know if Indianapolis or Columbus have one at all though.
Baltimore's system needs to be expanded but it is a lot better than many other places in the northeast and midwest. Detroit has no rail at all and the buses are horrible. Columbus, Cincinnati, Indy, Milwaukee have no rail either. Pittsburgh has rail but it also needs improvement.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,044 times
Tampa, FL!!!! This place has the worst I have personally experienced. It is almost nonexistent. They do have a bus system (like all major cities) but like many places people who have absolutely no other transportation option seem to be the people riding it. But since the roads are so crappy and poorly designed, the buses have to stop right in the right hand land of MAJOR roads. I have seen more cars smashed into the backs of buses here than I care to. There is no train system, only a small trolley that runs along one short route. The freeway system is rediculous for a city/metro this size. One good thing is that the current mayor is very aware of the problem and is trying to work on it. So far, all I see is widening of majorly congested roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City