Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Choice
West Coast 118 41.40%
East Coast 167 58.60%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,986 times

Advertisements

I find the superiority complex of certain East Coasters odd when it comes to the subject of history. History-wise, the US is barely an adolescent in the grand scheme of things. Acting as though having a marginally longer (although admittedly more involved) stake in US history is something to boast about is akin to a freshman in high school talking down to a 7th grader and telling him, "you're just a little kid!" Lol @ how badly some of you need something, ANYTHING to make you feel special and sound superior. I just think its so, so sad. SMH.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:58 PM

27,553 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I'd like to visit both coasts, but I think the East Coast would stress me out more. I suppose I'd go there if I wanted the "colonial" type history and I'd head west for a real, relaxing vacation and some beautiful scenery and REAL history, not just US history.
Yeah, as if foreign history is more important to the United States than U.S. history is. lol.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:04 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah, as if foreign history is more important to the United States than U.S. history is. lol.
I wasn't aware we are only supposed to care about U.S. history, as if nothing else existed on this planet for thousands of years until the "wonderful" colonists arrived here.

In that case, I am going to go ahead and make the assumption that people who prefer the west tend to be more worldly and well rounded than the east coast lovers.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I find the superiority complex of certain East Coasters odd when it comes to the subject of history. History-wise, the US is barely an adolescent in the grand scheme of things. Acting as though having a marginally longer (although admittedly more involved) stake in US history is something to boast about is akin to a freshman in high school talking down to a 7th grader and telling him, "you're just a little kid!" Lol @ how badly some of you need something, ANYTHING to make you feel special and sound superior. I just think its so, so sad. SMH.
I completely agree.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:10 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post

But on the history I really think it less a function of time (or length there of) and more of what actually took place and the significance of this. I also agree there is cool history in many places but this SUPERIORTY complex on this aspect is one I am not sure I buy into. American history and what formed it is what it is and FACT and specifically linked to number of places where this occured.

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-22-2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 08:48 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The first library, the first fire station, bifocals, fouding of electricity, early refrigeration, the first university, these are some of the many innovations that came from the east coast, that set the foundations for many of the modern devices you we use today. The east coast was an industrious center, when the west coast was a forest. Things have obviously evened out over the years, but the east coast still holds a significant influence in this nation.
A forest? Most of the EC was or still is swamp land.

I had been thinking more along the lines of the past 20 to 30 years or so. Could you at least stick to the 20th Century and later? Every state has history.

The 1st university was the University of Bologna (Italy) established in 1088.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 PM

27,553 posts, read 28,636,675 times
There are some west coasters who use every chance to remind everyone how much better the natural scenery and weather is on the west coast and about all the plethora of outdoor activities that are available most of the year. And most people will agree with this assessment (even though barely any mention is even made about many of the same characteristics in other parts of the U.S.)

But then, if an east coaster comes out and even hints that the east coast might be better for certain things - such as history, more urban cities, museums or cultural attractions - then there are vehement denials from all over.

Notice the difference?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
There are some west coasters who use every chance to remind everyone how much better the natural scenery and weather is on the west coast and about all the plethora of outdoor activities that are available most of the year. And most people will agree with this assessment (even though barely any mention is even made about many of the same characteristics in other parts of the U.S.)

But then, if an east coaster comes out and even hints that the east coast might be better for certain things - such as history, more urban cities, museums or cultural attractions - then there are vehement denials from all over.

Notice the difference?
I see WAY more arrogance and condescension from the East. I don't see people denying there's history in the East. It's people from the East that look down their noses and claim there's no history in the West. That's the difference. It's not just here, either. It's on other forums and in everyday life.

If you're looking for sympathy because some people don't agree that your area is automatically the best in every way, you're not going to get it from me. I live in the Great Plains.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:33 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,153 times
You can't really disparage the history of the East Coast. Boston, Philadelphia, NYC, Baltimore were all founded in the 17th century. DC in the early 19th century.

The "United States" did expand west. Other than San Francisco, until 1910 there really wasn't much between St. Louis and SF. Denver was a cowtown and LA was a largely untouched land of opportunity.

Just think about this: No major league sports teams went west of St. Louis until 1958.

To denegrate the pre US history of California is also a misdeed. There is obviously a large Spanish/Mexican influence in California dating back to the 17th century. The Oregon Trail showed that settlement of the West could occur in the mid 19th century. But it is still overshadowed by the foundations of our government, economy, and society, which were all formed on the East Coast.

The history of the East Coast is just different. Without it, there would not be an American history of the West Coast.

Though to say the West Coast is bland with no urban areas, blah blah, is also false. LA is the 2nd largest metro in the US. SF/Oakland Bay is in the top 10. San Diego is not far behind. San Francisco is the 2nd most densely populated major city in the US.

According to the US Census, there are 55 municipalities in the NYC metro with population densities of over 10,000 per square mile. The metro with the second largest number of municipalities with population densities over 10K per square mile is Los Angeles, with 27. Miami, Boston, Chicago, and Philly are tied at #3. San Fran is #4.

Out of the top 7 cities in this category, NYC, Boston, and Philly are East Coast. LA and SF west coast, Chicago midwest, and Miami SE (although East Coast in character).

Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,910 times
Quote:
There are some west coasters who use every chance to remind everyone how much better the natural scenery and weather is on the west coast and about all the plethora of outdoor activities that are available most of the year. And most people will agree with this assessment (even though barely any mention is even made about many of the same characteristics in other parts of the U.S.)But then, if an east coaster comes out and even hints that the east coast might be better for certain things - such as history, more urban cities, museums or cultural attractions - then there are vehement denials from all over. Notice the difference?
Urban cities? Is that a good thing? Depends on who you ask. I don't think so.
California is the most populated state in the entire country, so it's not like we could not have urban cities if we want them. We just prefer spacious cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City