Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Choice
West Coast 118 41.40%
East Coast 167 58.60%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:35 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Well yeah, the numbers are off, but the general idea is correct. To be fair, your numbers are not correct either. NYC wasn't even settled 400 years ago, it was settled in 1624...387 years ago.
i know that but i was just giving a general number. jamestown, for example, is 404 years old. that's almost half a millenium. st augustine was founded in 1565, a generation or two from medieval times. the oldest building in paris was built in 1407. that's not as big of a difference as you'd expect.

jamestown

Quote:
So the oldest building in NYC that still exists today is 359 years old. So yes it is more than 200 years old, but that doesn't change the fact that you will find much older architecture in Europe.

And to your other point, you have made plenty of statements in a similar vein about the west coast, does that make you a simpleton or imply that you haven't been to the west coast? Not to me. It is great that you have your own opinions (Which many would disagree with, some might even call ignorant), now why can't he have his?

(I am not calling you ignorant or anything, but opinions are always disagreed with by other people, that is the beauty of opinions. How boring would it be if we all thought the same thoughts? And how crowded would the east coast be if everyone agreed it was the only worthwhile place in the country?)
like i said, the oldest building in paris is from 1407. that's closer to jamestown than jamestown is to any building's age in los angeles. i know europe has older buildings, but that's not what he said. he said a 200 year old building in paris would be an icon in nyc. it would be a pretty historic building, but not an icon.

and in what post did i say anything as ignorant about the west coast as "on the west coast, all i want to do is la" while i name 50 little cities on the east coast? like he named pismo beach for the west coast but couldn't give credit to any other city on the east coast besides nyc. sure, sounds innocent but it's still completely ignorant considering the fact that he's more than likely never even really been to the east coast and kind of disrespectful to other cities on the east coast who are completely cosmopolitan, urban, full of nightlife, great food, and great neighborhoods who've played major roles in the groundwork of this country, which the west coast is lucky or else it wouldn't even be there.

maybe he's never heard of these places but they're not in nyc..

Last edited by JMT; 06-03-2011 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Please see the forum sticky about posting pics.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:37 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Im going with the west coast.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,026 times
Tough choice. Personality wise, I am more of an east coast person, love the cold urban dense cities, and if I can't have that I love the tropical muy caliente types of cities.

Nature wise, I like the West Coast better, but I don't really 'fit in' with their cities, with except maybe a couple. However, I really love their smaller towns, more so the ones in Southern California.

I will give a slight edge to the East Coast, because I can see myself easily living in Boston, NYC, Philly, D.C., Miami, Savannah, Charleston, etc., and other smaller cities. The only places I could truly see myself living in on the West Coast would be San Diego and San Francisco, or Southern California.

Culturally I think they are both a tie, having contributed a lot, but history wise, East Coast wins hands down.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i know that but i was just giving a general number. jamestown, for example, is 404 years old. that's almost half a millenium. not too far down the line from medieval times.

the oldest building in paris is from 1407. that's older than jamestown by 200 years, but that's closer to jamestown than jamestown is to any building in los angeles. i know europe has older buildings, but that's not what he said. he said a 200 year old building in paris would be an icon in nyc. it would be a pretty historic building, but not an icon.

and in what post did i say anything as ignorant about the west coast as "on the west coast, all i want to do is la." sure, sounds innocent but it's still completely ignorant and kind of disrespectful to other cities on the east coast who are completely cosmopolitan, urban, full of nightlife, great food, and great neighborhoods who've played major roles in the groundwork of this country, which the west coast is lucky or else it wouldn't even be there.

maybe he's never heard of these places but they're not in nyc..
Eh, saying that it isn't far from medieval times is kind of misleading, not far from the VERY late middle ages... but still quite new compared to the high middle ages or the early middle ages which start at about 450 A.D.

You say that the oldest building in Paris is about 200 yrs. older than Jamestown, and that no building in LA is that close to Jamestown... but that is fiction, Avila Adobe was built in 1818, 211 years after Jamestown. So the difference is rather similar.

I know he said a 200 year old building would be an icon, but that was NOT his point, his point was that Europe is older... there is no reason to nitpick. There are TONS of buildings in Europe that would most definitely be icons to NYC... just because dude picked the wrong number doesn't make his point invalid.

What have you said that is completely ignorant about the west coast? There is actually an example in the same paragraph that you asked that question: "...played major roles in the groundwork of this country, which the west coast is lucky or else it wouldn't even be there."

This is 100% untrue, when the Lewis and Clark expedition reached the west coast in 1806, Russians had already been there for about 60 years, and had settlements in place. (Some still exist) And anyways, A lot of the people voting west coast cite natural beauty... are you implying that this wouldn't exist either without the east coast?

Another thing you forgot... history isn't over. One day the west coast will be older than the east coast is today... and at one point the east coast was younger than the west coast is today.

You say that the cities on the east coast layed the groundwork for the rest of the country... guess what, they didn't invent it... they got their ideas from Europe who got their ideas from Persia, etc. So by your logic, the cradle of humanity in the middle east is the best place on Earth.

And anyways, how does the history of the place help you in day to day life? So you can think about it and feel good? Great weather and modern advancements are MUCH more useful in day to day life.

Nobody is trying to infringe on your rights to like the east coast better, but you are taking offense at people liking the west coast better, and resorting to calling people ignorant simpletons. (Which is funny, because even though you cite history as the reason the east is better, your "facts" are historically incorrect.)

Old 06-01-2011, 02:21 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
climate is in no way comparable to history. you don't have to care about history but that doesn't make history less important or even just as important as sunny days. without history, we wouldn't be here. without my ancestors, this country wouldn't be here. and for that i take great pride in virginia, much moreso than i would over something as simple and stupid as my city has more sunny days than some other city.
When it comes to living, history can indeed be a less important factor to some. Seriously, what don't you get about that? No one is saying history isn't important or a good thing to have, but as far as living in a place it could be a non-factor for many. Just as you may not care how many sunny days a place has, plenty of people don't give a crap about some historical event that took place in somewhere in Washington DC, Philly, Boston, etc..over 250+ years ago. But that doesn't imply there shouldn't be history, I don't get why you're being so dramatic about this. Your argument sounds ridiculous like someone saying "well without weather/climate life wouldn't exist on this planet and there would be no history to begin with".

To each their own, you value history more so than climate. Other people are different. Maybe trying wrapping that simple notion around your head for once.

Quote:
and in what post did i say anything as ignorant about the west coast as "on the west coast, all i want to do is la" while i name 50 little cities on the east coast? like he named pismo beach for the west coast but couldn't give credit to any other city on the east coast besides nyc. sure, sounds innocent but it's still completely ignorant considering the fact that he's more than likely never even really been to the east coast and kind of disrespectful to other cities on the east coast who are completely cosmopolitan, urban, full of nightlife, great food, and great neighborhoods who've played major roles in the groundwork of this country, which the west coast is lucky or else it wouldn't even be there.
What's ironic is how ignorant you sound here implying that the west coast wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the east coast cities. Pretty amazing that for someone who claims to love and value history so much how you don't seem to know much about it in other parts of the country. Settlements and people existed on the west coast before Americans made their way west from the east coast. Did you think names like SAN DIEGO, SAN FRANCISCO, LOS ANGELES, etc..came from east coast settlers? Did you think George Washington established the missions in CA? Do some people on the east coast really have this myopic view that anything and everything in this country originated from the east coast? Get real and actually learn some history outside of your region.

Last edited by sav858; 06-01-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 03:35 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,204 times
History is nice but both coasts have history and history is just that, HISTORY. Which coast has done more for us, lately? West Coast by a long shot. The West Coast brings us most of the conveniences that we have in today's society, flat screens from Asia, Computer/tech stuff from Seattle and San Fran. Movies and airplanes from LA. The gambling mecca in Las Vegas.

Last edited by JMT; 06-03-2011 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Please see the forum sticky about posting pics.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Eh, saying that it isn't far from medieval times is kind of misleading, not far from the VERY late middle ages... but still quite new compared to the high middle ages or the early middle ages which start at about 450 A.D.
so? it doesn't matter how early or late into the time period it was, the fact of the matter is that it was built one to two generations after the middle ages.

Quote:
You say that the oldest building in Paris is about 200 yrs. older than Jamestown, and that no building in LA is that close to Jamestown... but that is fiction, Avila Adobe was built in 1818, 211 years after Jamestown. So the difference is rather similar.
the difference is that we have buildings on the east coast that were built closer to the oldest building in paris than the oldest building in los angeles is built to the oldest here. there's no "almost," it either is or it isn't.

Quote:
I know he said a 200 year old building would be an icon, but that was NOT his point, his point was that Europe is older... there is no reason to nitpick. There are TONS of buildings in Europe that would most definitely be icons to NYC... just because dude picked the wrong number doesn't make his point invalid.
like what? big ben? arguably london's most most iconic strcuture isn't even that old. i've never argued that europe doesn't have older buildings, only an idiot would, but not all of them are all that old. much of their cities urban development is just as old as boston's, new york's, etc.

Quote:
What have you said that is completely ignorant about the west coast? There is actually an example in the same paragraph that you asked that question: "...played major roles in the groundwork of this country, which the west coast is lucky or else it wouldn't even be there."

This is 100% untrue, when the Lewis and Clark expedition reached the west coast in 1806, Russians had already been there for about 60 years, and had settlements in place. (Some still exist) And anyways, A lot of the people voting west coast cite natural beauty... are you implying that this wouldn't exist either without the east coast?
i'm implying that if it wasn't for the east coast's history, the west coast would be nothing more than a bunch of tijuana's now.

Quote:
Another thing you forgot... history isn't over. One day the west coast will be older than the east coast is today... and at one point the east coast was younger than the west coast is today.
yeah, but that's not today.

Quote:
You say that the cities on the east coast layed the groundwork for the rest of the country... guess what, they didn't invent it... they got their ideas from Europe who got their ideas from Persia, etc. So by your logic, the cradle of humanity in the middle east is the best place on Earth.
i didn't say anything about any place being the "best place" based solely on history.

Quote:
And anyways, how does the history of the place help you in day to day life? So you can think about it and feel good? Great weather and modern advancements are MUCH more useful in day to day life.
there would be no modern advancements without history. led light bulbs wouldn't be here without thomas edison's bulb. ford cars wouldn't be here without henry ford. history is very important in day to day life, because without it we don't advance and we're back in the stone age. plus, we use historical data in the science world which is studied to advance.

Quote:
Nobody is trying to infringe on your rights to like the east coast better, but you are taking offense at people liking the west coast better, and resorting to calling people ignorant simpletons. (Which is funny, because even though you cite history as the reason the east is better, your "facts" are historically incorrect.)
my facts aren't historically correct. i said 400 years as a general idea, some are older, some younger. i'm not going to name the exact age of every city on the east coast, got it?

i don't care if you like the west coast better. just don't go out naming pismo ####ing beach in california trying to boast of every little place in california you can and then only give credit to nyc on the east coast. i see that as disrespectful.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
History is nice but both coasts have history and history is just that, HISTORY. Which coast has done more for us, lately? West Coast by a long shot. The West Coast brings us most of the conveniences that we have in today's society, flat screens from Asia, Computer/tech stuff from Seattle and San Fran. Movies and airplanes from LA. The gambling mecca in Las Vegas.
what do you mean which coast has done more for us lately? the capital of the world is on the east coast, the capital of the world's only superpower is on the east coast. harvard, upenn, brown, yale, princeton, cornell, and mit are on the east coast. wall street, finance, your friggin life's savings, are on the east coast. nbc, fox, cnn, comedy central, hbo, usa today, the new york times, wall street journal. fannie mae, freddie mac, xerox, kodak, northrop grumman, dyncorp, triple canopy, rosetta stone, hershey, etc. the cia, fbi, usmc, etc. the east coast's gdp is higher. you seriously want to get into economics and whatnot? the east coast is STILL doing more.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 06-01-2011 at 04:19 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,882 times
Quote:
so? it doesn't matter how early or late into the time period it was, the fact of the matter is that it was built one to two generations after the middle ages.
Yeah, but the late middle ages is greatly different than the high and early middle ages, which cover more time and are purely middle ages... the late middle ages was more of a transition period. It did not go: knights & dragon >> Jamestown, there is quite a period in between... called the late middle ages.

Quote:
the difference is that we have buildings on the east coast that were built closer to the oldest building in paris than the oldest building in los angeles is built to the oldest here. there's no "almost," it either is or it isn't.
Yeah, the gap between the east coast and west coast is smaller than the gap between Jamestown and Paris's oldest building, BY ABOUT A DECADE! This is a TINY period of history... something you should know since you are so in love with history.

Quote:
like what? big ben? arguably london's most most iconic strcuture isn't even that old. i've never argued that europe doesn't have older buildings, only an idiot would, but not all of them are all that old. much of their cities urban development is just as old as boston's, new york's, etc.
Are you not counting all the buildings left over from the early and high middle ages? You are cherry picking, there are plenty of buildings over there that are 500+ years older than Jamestown.

Quote:
i'm implying that if it wasn't for the east coast's history, the west coast would be nothing more than a bunch of tijuana's now.
And your implication is simply incorrect. How are there modern cities around the world? Surely these didn't ALL steal their ideas from the east coast.

Quote:
i didn't say anything about any place being the "best place" based solely on history.
No, but that is entirely what your argument is based on so far.

Quote:
there would be no modern advancements without history. led light bulbs wouldn't be here without thomas edison's bulb. ford cars wouldn't be here without henry ford. history is very important in day to day life, because without it we don't advance and we're back in the stone age. plus, we use historical data in the science world which is studied to advance.
So you say that history gives us modern amenities and that is why you like it, yet you dislike the west coast because it has to many modern amenities, I don't care what yard you pick, get off the fence.

Quote:
my facts aren't historically correct. i said 400 years as a general idea, some are older, some younger. i'm not going to name the exact age of every city on the east coast, got it?
I got involved because you were complaining about someones numbers not being correct. Why is it that you are allowed to generalize, but the person you debate with is not?

Quote:
i don't care if you like the west coast better. just don't go out naming pismo ####ing beach in california trying to boast of every little place in california you can and then only give credit to nyc on the east coast. i see that as disrespectful.
I DON'T like the west coast better, I never said that. In fact, I made it clear earlier, that I am not picking a side between east and west. The sole reason I am involved in this conversation is YOUR disrespectful statements. Why is it that you are allowed to call people ignorant (stupid) or a simpleton, and it is not disrespectful, but if someone mentions that they only would be interested in NYC on the east coast personally, and it is a cardinal sin?

You are by far the most hypocritical person I have met on these forums.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
what do you mean which coast has done more for us lately? the capital of the world is on the east coast, the capital of the world's only superpower is on the east coast. harvard, upenn, brown, yale, princeton, cornell, and mit are on the east coast. wall street, finance, your friggin life's savings, are on the east coast. nbc, fox, cnn, comedy central, hbo, usa today, the new york times, wall street journal. fannie mae, freddie mac, xerox, kodak, northrop grumman, dyncorp, triple canopy, rosetta stone, hershey, etc. the cia, fbi, usmc, etc. the east coast's gdp is higher. you seriously want to get into economics and whatnot? the east coast is STILL doing more.
It's kind of sad, but funny--but also inevitable, when threads like this just turn into a childish pissing contest...

That's a nice list. I still prefer the West Coast over the East Coast outside of Boston and New York. Good luck, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City