Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Choice
West Coast 118 41.40%
East Coast 167 58.60%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:21 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times

Advertisements

The only thing that's attractive about the west coast is the weather and scenery. The East Coast has more culture, character(and characters!), and history. People from the West Coast generally are rather bland in comparison to people on the East Coast.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM

205 posts, read 298,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Let's see California has faced the most severe problems imaginable everything from almost complete economic collapse,natural disasters, to run away illegal immigration,noticable infrastucture decay..yet all the while still maintains the highest number of high dollar properties and the most billionaires. That's just sex appeal.I would love to see any other state still even remain on it's knees after such damning issues....Proof that beauty as vapid as it may be still holds the upper hand.
California has by far the largest population in the country. It's a huge state landwise and something would be seriously wrong if it didn't have all that (in sheer numbers that is)

Most of the nations wealth and power is on the East Coast. CA just barely has more billionaires and GDP than the much smaller NYC metro for goodness sakes. Probably not anymore considering how much worse the West's economy has been these past few years. Not to mention we have the nations capital and South FL.

Last edited by sputnikkk; 02-07-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,452 times
I'm coming to the realization that this forum is mostly east coast teenagers who watch too much reality television.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
The East Coast has more culture, character(and characters!), and history.
More vague throwaway terms. Come with something substantial next time.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,452 times
Look, everyone knows the East Coast would win IN A WAR. It's a much larger economy, population center, power center, etc. But for a lot of people that doesn't factor into where they want to live.

In other words, just because the East Coast's DICK IS BIGGER doesn't mean everyone wants to suck it.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 PM

43 posts, read 76,887 times
In terms of states, nothing can compare to California. However, I like to keep the tradition of comparing cities on CD, so it's essentially America's first city, America's best city, and the capital versus the media monopoly that is California, plus the nice technologies. The problem with this comparison is that, while scenic, the west coast isn't as developed as the east coast. California can beat the best, but if you put it against a whole coast . . . it just can't compare.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:05 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
West coast, easily. There's a reason west coast cities are populated by transplants from the east. Most people in the west are from somewhere else - that makes for a much friendlier environment because very few people from the west have lived in the same city for generations and have less of a sense of entitlement. It is less crowded, the lifestyle is so much better (open spaces), and then there's the whole scenic beauty/lack of humidity factor as well.

The general trend over the last half century is East -> West. No denying that.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM

43 posts, read 76,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
West coast, easily. There's a reason west coast cities are populated by transplants from the east. Most people in the west are from somewhere else - that makes for a much friendlier environment because very few people from the west have lived in the same city for generations and have less of a sense of entitlement. It is less crowded, the lifestyle is so much better (open spaces), and then there's the whole scenic beauty/lack of humidity factor as well.

The general trend over the last half century is East -> West. No denying that.
Fair enough. One day that will allow the west coast to rival the east coast legitimately. The east will always be more important due to the capital, but as of now it still has the west beat in most categories. Hopefully, in the future, that line will blur; I enjoy a good competition.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
The West Coast is so weird and boring.

In high school we went camping and hiking in Northern California and it was one of the most traumatizing things I've done in my life. I'll die happy if I never see the "scenic wilderness" ever again.

The people are "different" and don't dress well and lack proper east coast (NE/NE) social ettiquite, culture, tradition. Also, as someone who likes to travel, I find it too isolated. Something about that region just feels so lonely.. I wasn't suprised to read that the West had the highest suicide rate in the US.

No thank you.
Don't go there. I live on the east coast and have known a person who has committed suicide in these parts which was personally sad and tragic and pretty much makes numbers and statistics of a state by state ratio pretty irrelevant when looking at the big picture.

Also a wilderness experience as traumatizing with no story or substance to back it up sounds more like mellow drama as if you had seen somebody get mauled by Sasquatch himself. Nothing more than a silly phobia. Not to mention Florida has its share of scary critters.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-07-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
The West Coast is so weird and boring.

In high school we went camping and hiking in Northern California and it was one of the most traumatizing things I've done in my life. I'll die happy if I never see the "scenic wilderness" ever again.

The people are "different" and don't dress well and lack proper east coast (NE/NE) social ettiquite, culture, tradition. Also, as someone who likes to travel, I find it too isolated. Something about that region just feels so lonely.. I wasn't suprised to read that the West had the highest suicide rate in the US.

No thank you.
LOL. And the award for worst story of all-time goes to...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City