Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Choice
West Coast 118 41.40%
East Coast 167 58.60%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,452 times

Advertisements

pretty much ideal West Coast living (This is in Portland):

you can find this kind of place (little 1900s bungalow done up super nicely with garden in front) in most of the coastal cities: SD, LA, Oakland, Seattle, Portland. I think it really exemplifies the lifestyle here: laid back, just enough room to have some space, close to nature and neighbors, colorful but not gaudy, etc.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
The only thing that's attractive about the west coast is the weather and scenery. The East Coast has more culture, character(and characters!), and history. People from the West Coast generally are rather bland in comparison to people on the East Coast.
What about the many (and there are many) people who moved from the East Coast and now live in the West Coast?

You talk to a group of people on the West Coast and there is a good chance that many of them are originally from the East Coast.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
Nice pics but please stop! I hate when threads are flooded with pictures. We know what San Francisco and Seattle look like.
Oh brother! Some of us don't!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What about the many (and there are many) people who moved from the East Coast and now live in the West Coast?

You talk to a group of people on the West Coast and there is a good chance that many of them are originally from the East Coast.
That doesn't really prove much for reasons someone explained earlier. Plus, it's not at all like the east coast is losing total population. It has way more people than at any time in the past and keeps growing. There are huge ongoing migrations to parts of the east coast.

BTW, I definitely agree that if someone values scenery above anything else, then the west coast is the way to go.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:08 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times
How about ... we close this thread.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:27 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That doesn't really prove much for reasons someone explained earlier. Plus, it's not at all like the east coast is losing total population. It has way more people than at any time in the past and keeps growing. There are huge ongoing migrations to parts of the east coast.
It does prove that one can't say people from the West Coast are generally rather bland since many of them are East Coast transplants.

Quote:
BTW, I definitely agree that if someone values scenery above anything else, then the west coast is the way to go.
I don't know if I value scenery (and climate) above anything else, but it does rank very high. I do like living where the mountains, ocean and desert are close by.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:38 PM

I value culture and lifestyle far above scenery. Climate is pretty huge, but I have enjoyed "real" winters back east and could imagine myself living in such a climate again (but definitely nothing more humid than the northeast). To me, anything south of NYC is pretty much uninhabitable, and I almost can't do that in summer...

Old 02-08-2011, 03:51 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
Huge news flash it's just been discovered that there are cultural offerings on the West Coast. I guess it's also just beyond comprehension to some that many of the highest end art collectors reside on the West Coast. It's not totally black and white people. FYI ever heard of a little place called the Getty. Everyone knows places like LA, Seattle and SF are just backwater suburban Walmart parking lots filled with East Coast envy.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

Most of my friends here in LA are artists who have moved from the East (often NYC) because there are more opportunities here for new artists. The scene here is definitely more "alive" than in NYC right now.

To me, the cultural benefits of the West Coast go far beyond fine art and "high" culture, though. As I've said, it's the live-and-let-live attitude that permeates most of the West coast attitude and everyday culture that is the best thing about living here.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
pretty much ideal West Coast living (This is in Portland):

you can find this kind of place (little 1900s bungalow done up super nicely with garden in front) in most of the coastal cities: SD, LA, Oakland, Seattle, Portland. I think it really exemplifies the lifestyle here: laid back, just enough room to have some space, close to nature and neighbors, colorful but not gaudy, etc.
That's nothing compared to east coast living:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City