Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Graffiti
San Francisco 16 12.31%
NYC 53 40.77%
Philadelphia 25 19.23%
Toronto 6 4.62%
Other 30 23.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:18 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Jesus Christ there's a bunch of stuck up elitist on here.

Most likely live in gentrified character-less neighborhoods.

Graffiti is nice.

There are different types of Graffiti writers.

I love riding the train and seeing pieces along rooftops.
I'd much rather see an abandoned building/warehouse/wall covered in graffiti then decaying
I enjoy seeing graffiti on freight trains as they pass instead of waiting 10 minutes and see blandness.
It's kind of an unwritten rule to not write on cars, houses, churches, schools, public art...
So don't use that "What if they taggged your car durrr" excuse.

How is graffiti ugly?
Why don't you complain about billboards that you are forced to see?
Because they have money?

What makes graffiti even more beautiful is that you can see tags located at spots that makes you question how someone got up there to tag it. Many time, I see tags on billboards and side of buildings where there are no appearent way for someone to reach them. The mystery of them makes them beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97a6v...e_gdata_player
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

doesnt look like vanalism to me. those building would be plain as hell without graffiti

Old 02-06-2011, 11:27 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What makes graffiti even more beautiful is that you can see tags located at spots that makes you question how someone got up there to tag it. Many time, I see tags on billboards and side of buildings where there are no appearent way for someone to reach them. The mystery of them makes them beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97a6v...e_gdata_player
yea by my house i see graffiti on walls under the roof and it always puzzles me how the hell did someone get their, and did they make it out alive.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 PM

205 posts, read 298,432 times
Let's tag up Central Paris and Manhattan and Beverly Hills! Those areas are too ugly and could learn a thing or too from GORGEOUS ghettos of Philly and Chicago when it comes to beauty and character!

Every place should strive to be like these graffiti filled ghettos.. Because they're all character filled and all..

Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Saying "graffiti is nice" says plenty. I dont need that type of character.
Graffiti is ugly because most of it is pointless chaos.
Most of it is illegally done and is akin to decay.
An unwritten rule to not tag cars/churches/houses, wow, refreshing.
Id rather the freight train cars be pristine and shiny!!

Did you really think people liked grafitti??
yea plenty of people do which is why they have museums for it. If people didnt like it i think their would be no reason for events catering to the art.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
doesnt look like vanalism to me. those building would be plain as hell without graffiti
This (see below) looks pretty bad and gosh damn ugly to me, and straight up looks like vandalism and obstruction of public & private property.

http://www.dailyyonder.com/files/ima...nggraffiti.jpg

http://www.photospin.com/content/pho...ll/0300049.jpg

Yuck.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 PM

205 posts, read 298,432 times
Nasty.

Graffiti makes everything look so poor and dirty.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
This (see below) looks pretty bad and gosh damn ugly to me, and straight up looks like vandalism and obstruction of public & private property.

http://www.dailyyonder.com/files/ima...nggraffiti.jpg

http://www.photospin.com/content/pho...ll/0300049.jpg

Yuck.
Those look like gang graffiti. Plus they look like they are in the suburbs.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Graffiti is horrible IMO, and from what I've gathered seems best appreciated when it's any other city besides your (my) own. That's just me though...

Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Saying "graffiti is nice" says plenty. I dont need that type of character.
Graffiti is ugly because most of it is pointless chaos.
Most of it is illegally done and is akin to decay.
An unwritten rule to not tag cars/churches/houses, wow, refreshing.
Id rather the freight train cars be pristine and shiny!!

Did you really think people liked grafitti??
Let me guess, You're one of those old uptight people, who feels everyone should be alike and conform to the norm, right?

It's your personal preference not to like it, okay. But don't bash something you don't understand. If you don't like this type of art, please stop commenting on this thread. Graffiti, like I said previously, is like Avant-Garde (Look it up if you don't know what it means) Many will never understand OR take the time to learn about something that's different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
Well I just called it ghetto. It's ugly and makes neighborhoods ugly.
That's like someone calling you ignorant, for not understanding your logic. How can you say something (Art especially) is "Ghetto" - What makes it Ghetto? Ghetto is an area (specifically in a city), where it's basically considered to be a slum. Graffiti on the other hand is pretty much everywhere. Please research before commenting on a subject, without any prior knowledge.

There's a HUGE difference between Murals and Tagging (Hood spray paint I call it), However they're both in the "Graffiti" family/group. Which sucks because taggers give the others (Artist) a bad reputation. It's a bit insulting to me because I appreciate all forms of art; and I think people believe art isn't important any longer. It isn't "Ghetto", it's not done by poor people/misfits and it's not pointless.

Lastly REAL Graffiti artist already know the "rules", besides that's common curiosity right off the bat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City