Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 03:26 PM

423 posts, read 646,649 times

Advertisements

PG county's murder rate was mentioned in this music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd1Q08b77-Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 5,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I didn't know SF was dangerous...

The reason why you don't hear about SF being as dangerous as Oakland, Richmond, East Palo Alto, etc. is because if you're in Oakland, Richmond or "EPA" you pretty much know you're in a bad city.

In San Francisco you walk into the ghetto. One minute you can be in Japan town eating Sushi and Tempura, the next minute you literally walk across Geary st. and you're in the projects.

Hunters Point is one of the worst neighborhood in America.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantBlockME! View Post
The reason why you don't hear about SF being as dangerous as Oakland, Richmond, East Palo Alto, etc. is because if you're in Oakland, Richmond or "EPA" you pretty much know you're in a bad city.

In San Francisco you walk into the ghetto. One minute you can be in Japan town eating Sushi and Tempura, the next minute you literally walk across Geary st. and you're in the projects.

I've just never associated SF with having crime. Most people just think its one large gay community, and those usually have low crime rates.

I feel like there are 3 types of cities: dangerous (the entire city is ghetto), safe (the entire city is upscale), and mixed (having both ghetto and upscale areas). I always thought of SF as one of the safe ones. But here are examples of cities that fit each category.

DANGEROUS - Detroit, Flint, Gary, St. Louis, Oakland, Camden, Baltimore, New Orleans

MIXED - LA, Chicago, NYC, Atlanta, Miami, Philly, DC, SF, Dallas, Houston (pretty much most U.S. cities)

SAFE - San Diego, San Jose, Seattle, Portland, SLC, Denver, Austin, El Paso

Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantBlockME! View Post

Oakland isn't a ghetto city.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I've just never associated SF with having crime. Most people just think its one large gay community, and those usually have low crime rates.

I feel like there are 3 types of cities: dangerous (the entire city is ghetto), safe (the entire city is upscale), and mixed (having both ghetto and upscale areas). I always thought of SF as one of the safe ones. But here are examples of cities that fit each category.

DANGEROUS - Detroit, Flint, Gary, St. Louis, Oakland, Camden, Baltimore, New Orleans

MIXED - LA, Chicago, NYC, Atlanta, Miami, Philly, DC, SF, Dallas, Houston (pretty much most U.S. cities)

lol at saying that the entire cities of St. Louis, Oakland or Baltimore are ghetto. Contrary to popular belief, Baltimore isn't a giant Wire set and Oakland isn't Compton.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:

to me any city with a population of above 1 million should be considered mix.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,408 times
The entire city of New Orleans is not a ghetto and is no more dangerous than many of those cities listed. Looks like perception has become reality.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 AM

386 posts, read 987,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post

Great overall message to the song (although the verses don't carry out the message) and good Memphis style beat. The rapper sounds just like Famlay. I guess some of yall up there in DC/PG do sound a lot like some of us in southern VA.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
yeah SF definitely has a bit more crime than many people realize. The stereotypes that SF has (gay/rich/yuppie/hippie land/etc) doesn't really fit with "high crime" in most people's minds. Plus, the fact that we've been so low for murders in 2009 and 2010 probably fools some people too...but SF definitely has one of the higher violent crime rates when it comes to big US cities. Also, the SF media and city government constantly play down crime in SF becuase they don't want to hurt tourism (and luckily for them, we have Oakland next door so they can easily deflect many people's attention away from SF's crime as they point at Oakland). Even the SFPD was found to have been screwing with SF's violent crime stats since at least 2005. They cut out an average of 1,200 aggravated assaults from SF's total every year (though in 2008 1,500+ assaults were omitted) in order to make the crime rate appear lower for the FBI stats. For example, in 2008 SF reported a total violent crime rate of 845 incidents per 100,000 residents to the FBI....when in reality, SF's violent crime rate for 2008 was 1,027 incidents per 100,000 residents.

Anyways, SF is now at 10. the latest three being:

-two men got into a fight in the lower Haight on friday, one armed with a shovel the other with a knife. They both were taken to the hospital, but the guy with the shovel ended up dead.
-a woman died in the projects in the Lower Haight yesterday, after getting a molotov cocktail through her car window.
-a man was wounded and another killed in a shooting in Hunters Point last night.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post

im usually critical of local DC rap but this beat goes...he coulda been rappin bout cheeseburgers and still woulda went.....last year Landover, md (Fedex Field) had 15 murders for 22k 66/100k....thats a lil mini new orleans in the suburbs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City