Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Bud, give it rest, will ya?

Nassau county has beautiful beaches and parks. What exactly has Hudson county to offer? Just stay within the county limits and don't tell me what's great in NJ in general.
I wasn't talking about what either place has to offer. If you are referring to Hudson County as endless, boring suburbia, and Nassau County as NOT that, then you are delusional and have just exposed yourself as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM

152 posts, read 250,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I wasn't talking about what either place has to offer. If you are referring to Hudson County as endless, boring suburbia, and Nassau County as NOT that, then you are delusional and have just exposed yourself as such.
Tone down your posts, kid... Read my post again. Nassau county has some beautiful parks and beaches. Of course it is suburban if there are also beuatiful parks and beaches it's not an endless suburbia. Do you get it now?
Again, what exactly has Hudson county to offer to a New Yorker?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM

To anybody that has not heard, or does not think, that the 4 non-Manhattan boroughs are called the outer boroughs -- come on. They are outside of the city's cultural, business, and entertainment center, and they are also OUTER in terms of geography.

You will be very hard-pressed to find ANY resident of Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, or the Bronx that does not say that they live in an outer borough. There is a reason that people from the outer boroughs say they are "going into the city" when they are going into Manhattan.

In fact, the only outer borough residents you'll likely find who refuse to believe they live in an outer borough are the TRANSPLANTS that live in northwestern parts of Brooklyn.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
To anybody that has not heard, or does not think, that the 4 non-Manhattan boroughs are called the outer boroughs -- come on. They are outside of the city's cultural, business, and entertainment center, and they are also OUTER in terms of geography.

You will be very hard-pressed to find ANY resident of Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, or the Bronx that does not say that they live in an outer borough. There is a reason that people from the outer boroughs say they are "going into the city" when they are going into Manhattan.

In fact, the only outer borough residents you'll likely find who refuse to believe they live in an outer borough are the TRANSPLANTS that live in northwestern parts of Brooklyn.
No. We may say we live in Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx but not in "outer boros". Keep in mind, each of the mentioned boros is bigger than any city in Jersey, or any city in the Tri-state area. Even saying I live in Brooklyn does not say much as the boro is in fact a county with some 3M people living there. Nobody ever says "I live in the outer boros" It's like saying: "Hi, I am from the Northeast".

Also, we don't often say that we "go to the city" as it is not precise. Manhattan is too big os usually we say we go to Downtown or Midtown, or even more precisely The Village, Tribeca or other neighborhood in Manhattan. Do you get it?

One thing we don't need is some kid from New Jersey to tell us what we say and how in New York. All I can tell you is that I take Brooklyn over Hoboken or Jersey City any time of the day. At least I am still in the City of New York and not is some suburb.

PS. Based on what you said I bet you are one of the New Jerseyans who introduce themselves by saying they live in the NY Metro so they can avoid saying "I am from in New Jersey"

Last edited by jobber23; 12-08-2010 at 11:47 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Tone down your posts, kid... Read my post again. Nassau county has some beautiful parks and beaches. Of course it is suburban if there are also beuatiful parks and beaches it's not an endless suburbia. Do you get it now?
Again, what exactly has Hudson county to offer to a New Yorker?
Kid? Um, well you're probably the one who is a kid, and I think you're the one that could use a "toning down". Especially considering that I've been a member for several years here, and you joined a few days ago? Nobody likes a newbie spewing flames. Not very cool, in real life or an online forum. Even if you WERE a former member under a different name (banned?). Your attitude, "I'm right you're wrong" tone, and one-sided opinions are neither respected nor taken very seriously. Just a heads up.

To answer your question, Hudson County has a ton to offer, including thriving ethnic neighborhoods, wealthy neighborhoods, some of the most beautiful architecture in the entire metropolitan area, and the NY Red Bulls (none of which exist in Nassau County, for the record).

What exactly do the neighborhoods in Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx "have to offer" to the rest of NY? The answer is (depending on the borough) equal or less than what Hudson County offers.

It's that simple.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
No. We may live in Queens, Brooklyn and or the Bronx but not in "outer boros". Keep in mind, each of the mentioned here boros are bigger than any city in Jersey, or any city in the Tri-state area. Even saying I live in Brooklyn does not tell you much as the boro is if fact a county with some 3M people living there. Nobody ever says "I live in the outer boros"

Also, we don't say we go to the city as this does not tell anybody anything. Manhattan is too big os usually we say we go to Downtown or Midtown, or even more precisely The Village, Tribeca or other neighborhood in Manhattan. Do you get it?

One thing we don't need is some kid from New Jersey to tell us what we say and how in New York. All I can tell you is that I take Brooklyn over Hoboken or Jersey City any time of the day. At least I am still in the City of New York and not is some suburb.
This "kid from NJ" is, in real life, an adult who is a NYC native who currently lives in Jersey City, and likely (and seemingly from this thread) has lived in NYC and knows more about NYC than you do.

Good luck with your bizarre view of things, though.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
This "kid from NJ" is, in real life, an adult who is a NYC native who currently lives in Jersey City, and likely (and seemingly from this thread) has lived in NYC and knows more about NYC than you do.

Good luck with your bizarre view of things, though.
I don't really care how old you are but your posts are childish and totally out of touch with NY reality so I don't think you know more than I, but simply close to nothing about NYC, besides the skyline you admire from your windows

Last edited by jobber23; 12-08-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Kid? Um, well you're probably the one who is a kid, and I think you're the one that could use a "toning down". Especially considering that I've been a member for several years here, and you joined a few days ago?
Wow. You have been a member of this respectable board for so long? That alone must make you an expert and require my respect. Sorry.

Quote:
To answer your question, Hudson County has a ton to offer, including thriving ethnic neighborhoods, wealthy neighborhoods, some of the most beautiful architecture in the entire metropolitan area, and the NY Red Bulls (none of which exist in Nassau County, for the record).
I asked you specifically what Hudson county has to offer to a New Yorker so don't tell me about something that NYC has more and better. Yes, we have better architecture and more wealthy neighborhoods in the city then you in Hudson county. Nassau county, on the other hand, has beautiful beaches and parks we do not have in the city...

Quote:
What exactly do the neighborhoods in Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx "have to offer" to the rest of NY? The answer is (depending on the borough) equal or less than what Hudson County offers.

It's that simple
It's simple only to someone from New Jersey. To New Yorkers "the boros" are an integral part of New York City, part of its heritage, culture and identity. There would be no New York as we know it without Brooklyn or the Bronx. Anybody FROM New York knows that the Mets, Yankees, US Open or Coney Island are all staples of NYC culture and urban experience. Park Slope and Williamsburg in Brooklyn are some of the most happening and culturally active neighborhoods in all of New York City. Hudson county? Who cares about it in New York? It's not and never been a part of the city or its culture.

Of course, to someone from New Jersey "wealthy neighborhoods" is the most important aspects of the urban experience. If so, I can prove to you that Williamsburg in Brooklyn is more desirable, hence expensive, than any "wealthy neighborhood" in Hudson county

Stay in the 'burbs kid. You'd get lost in the city you don't understand

Last edited by jobber23; 12-08-2010 at 11:28 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Quote:
That's when you live in the city of New York only. For everybody else going to the city means going to any of the five boros.
Absolutely 100% wrong- I live in NJ, "The city" is in reference to Manhattan.. I have family in 4/5 boroughs. You say what borough you're going to if it's not Manhattan.

You should just give up.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Absolutely 100% wrong- I live in NJ, "The city" is in reference to Manhattan.. I have family in 4/5 boroughs and probably have more ties with NYC than you'll ever have. You say what borough you're going to if it's not Manhattan.

You should just give up.
Ha, ha. When you say I am going to the city and you live in Brooklyn that's understandable. Manhattan is after all, the center of its all. But if you are in New Jersey and still say I am going to the city implying you are going to Manhattan than that's nonsense. You are from out-of-town. You are from out of state. The city for you guys is the Great City of New York whith 3M people big Brooklyn being bigger than all of the NJ cities lumped together. Isn't that funny when someome from the suburbs is trying to put the boros down?

Last edited by jobber23; 12-08-2010 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City