Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is it?
Boston 26 40.00%
Philadelphia 33 50.77%
Buffalo 2 3.08%
Pittsburgh 1 1.54%
Jersey City 3 4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Who would be the capital of the Northeast minus New York City & Washington DC. I mean who would come next after New York City in terms of importance, and be the driving force for the Northeast? Facts and arguments are welcome for support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Philadelphia.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
I say Philly because to me Boston is king of the New England Area and the economic output and population of Philly is larger than Boston - but these two would be pretty close

To me if you consider DC part - it would be #2 - followed by Philly/Boston - give the edge to Philly but these two are very close overall and both very important cities for both the region and country.

In some ways Philly and Boston are as Houston and Dallas are to Texas; both strong on most aspects both similar in size and importance and no clear cut "winner" so to speak.

Amazing that for a region these two fight it out for the number 3 and 4 spots; part of why I love the Northeast - so many great cities

Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 AM

Nahh Washington DC would have run away with the poll, and its geographical location is always a matter of debate first and foremost, it would derail the thread. US Census lists it as one thing but Bos-Wash mega region has its own influence beyond any one region of the United States.

I thought about it, thought Boston. More to do with the stance on Global finance, FRB, Educational capabilities and Medical Research. Well handled city in terms of population going from stagnation as well and CSA of 7.6 million and the cultural center of New England (Subregion of Northeast).

Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Definitely Philadelphia.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:57 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Newark is probably more important than JC to be honest. JC will definitely rise above Newark in the future and it's bigger in terms of office space, but Newark has done a lot more to prove its significance. It has the 2nd biggest airport in the NE, it has the largest and busisest ports in the NE, it was an industrial mecca of the nation at one point, and it has the Prudential Center/NJPAC.

It had nearly 450K people at one point.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
In some ways Philly and Boston are as Houston and Dallas are to Texas; both strong on most aspects both similar in size and importance and no clear cut "winner" so to speak.
Yeah I can see what you mean here. I consider Philadelphia the 2nd city of the Northeast, but in terms of importance I still get the feeling Boston can pack a harder punch than Philadelphia in those regards. But thats mainly because of the educational institutions, its stance on finance, and its stance on Biomedical Research are among the leaders in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Amazing that for a region these two fight it out for the number 3 and 4 spots; part of why I love the Northeast - so many great cities
Personally I see them fighting for 2nd and 3rd. I consider Washington DC what it is, a District. No region affiliation, nothing. It belongs in one region, and it belongs in one megalopolis. Its played its card well enough to straddle both but at the end of the day it is the National Capital, and its a District. In my personal opinion I don't see anything more or less from that despite its proximity to Northeastern cities. Saying Washington DC is in the South is preposterous, but the US Census Bureau seems to do it anyways. Saying it is in the Northeast is also preposterous, because NoVa is in Virginia and Virginia and the famous general that came out of there had a big hand in the Civil War. And its something I'm not really willing to just "forget" existed that Virginia was and is in the South. Thus in my mind I think of Washington DC as a neutral area, not straddling anything, no commitment to anything, it is what it is and thats the national capital. (In my opinion)

But that is the discussion to be had in that other thread about Washington DC.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:09 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Who would be the capital of the Northeast minus New York City & Washington DC. I mean who would come next after New York City in terms of importance, and be the driving force for the Northeast? Facts and arguments are welcome for support.
Us Canuks consider DC to be in the South not the northeast. Is Baltimore in the NE? Don't think so.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Us Canuks consider DC to be in the South not the northeast. Is Baltimore in the NE? Don't think so.
I don't consider Washington DC as either region to be honest. The US Census can go figure why they're such worthless hacks to start off with, and why people hate them because of their constant mistakes.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Only Boston and Philadelphia are in contention. I pick Philadelphia because it is bigger and more centrally located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City