Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 11:03 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

We went all of Senegal from Dakar to Saint Louis to Goree to @the bush” and onto the Desert-Sahel as well.

Dakar was LIT. The most beautiful women I’ve ever seen. The beach was packed and full of folks grilling fish, wrestling, volleyball; everybody had a tent. Black AF. The nightlife was abundant and relatively international, with a few Europeans on holiday and North Africans… I was 16 and could get into a club or two (and my school chaperoned us into said clubs, lol) maybe due to American privilege. One French teacher was Senegalese, and the other one was Cape Verdean, and they had connections to a Cape Verdean restauranteur in Dakar who showed us around. The city was pretty massive. And the views were spectacular. The people were polite, energetic, and very young on average (median age was like 21/22)—a Lil spooky at night due to a lack of street lights. We might have had to pay a bribe once, but the teachers tried to keep it hush. Overall a very cool, very black city with a lot to see and do.

Senegal, in general, was fantastic, even though I got sick from licking an ice cube during a basketball game at one of their basketball academies. We also got to visit a military/type school, and the cultural exchange was fantastic. The worst part was the lack of American-style food, especially in rural Senegal, where it was just mangoes, fish peanuts, baobab juice crepes, and chocolate spread. And the atrocious condition of the roads/trash. Also, I MUCH preferred the bush over the northern port city of Saint Louis or the desert areas.. relaxed lil vibe, and the shade was important

Incredibly grateful to my high school for financing that trip for me. I wasn’t gonna go or even ask to go until they came through for me at the last minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 11:45 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
...You seem to buy into White Brazilian's narrative on race which is problematic.

Amen and Exactly.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:54 PM

^ simply ask the Pardo Brazilians. It's their narrative of themselves unless they buy into it as well.

I mean we call ourselves black that's a European narrative, were not literally black...lol. Basically, we don't get to just make up definitions here on C-D and twist them to whatever and implant them as we see so fit wherever and say everyone else is delusional or can't think for themselves. That is not real life. Its mind blowingly aggressive and American. I would say it teeters on disrespect of those who identify as Pardo. But more so just unnecessary

EDIT: wouldn't looking at Pardos as black be the white racist American viewpoint? (One-drop rule) Also "problematic"

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 07-22-2021 at 12:03 AM..

Old 07-21-2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post

Already gave my answer to the OP topic some 100s pages ago. End of the day nearly every state's largest black urban center is the " Black Mecca" per say of said state. We're living in our own spaces that fits are lifestyles from high density municipalities to rural comfort county communities.
Are there any states without a Black Mecca? Maybe South Carolina? Kansas? Ohio? Virginia?

Old 07-22-2021, 01:35 AM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:
Are there any states without a Black Mecca? Maybe South Carolina? Kansas? Ohio? Virginia?
(@ first response) I've seen vids of Dakar from YouTube and you definitely had a splendid opportunity.

Arguably the mountainous & Northern New England states with the smallest black population. ckhthankgod will have a word with you about South Carolina w/o it's black mecca, LoL. The other states you've mentioned absolutely and nearly all southern states going have their own black meccas ( probably except WV ).

Old 07-22-2021, 01:43 AM

Quote:
(@ first response) I've seen vids of Dakar from YouTube and you definitely had a splendid opportunity.

Arguably the mountainous & Northern New England states with the smallest black population. ckhthankgod will have a word with you about South Carolina w/o it's black mecca, LoL. The other states you've mentioned absolutely and nearly all southern states going have their own black meccas ( probably except WV ).
I'm assuming Cleveland for Ohio, Wichita for Kansas or would it be Kansas City?, and idk were for Virginia though? Richmond or Hampton Roads?

Charleston for South Carolina

Old 07-22-2021, 04:17 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Charleston would be among the original "Black meccas" I'd say.

For metros under 1 million, Columbia ranks pretty highly across several categories when it comes to its Black population.

Virginia also has history and some key statistics on its side, plus DC's metro extends into the state. Stafford County, VA is one of those rare counties where Black households have the highest Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site of all racial groups.

Last edited by Yac; 07-27-2021 at 11:00 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 06:42 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:

In WV, in terms of migration, perhaps Martinsburg(about 15% black) in the Eastern Panhandle or in that area of the state, as parts of it are in the DC metro area. There are 2 HBCU’s there, but the black percentages have dropped to the point that they maybe 10% in enrollment now(WV State and Bluefield State). Bluefield is 26.5% black and Beckley is 21.4% black. Institute is a small, predominantly black community west of Charleston and is where WV State is located. There some other very small, predominantly black communities in McDowell County(where Welch is) like Northfork, Maybeury and Keystone which goes back to the coal mining days.

Mutiny77 already touched on SC and Columbia is a good mid sized option in general.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-22-2021 at 07:55 AM..

Old 07-22-2021, 07:10 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
I'm assuming Cleveland for Ohio, Wichita for Kansas or would it be Kansas City?, and idk were for Virginia though? Richmond or Hampton Roads?

Charleston for South Carolina
I’d like to say for Virginia it’s the Hampton Roads area. It has most of the ingredients.. Significant black population and history, attracts black retirees, the massive military presence & it’s retirees, the HBCUs.. What’s prevented a ‘Mecca’ status has been a traditionally unreliable economy and inability to retain or attract young professionals.

As Mutiny77 mentioned, Virginia’s Black Mecca is metro DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City