Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2023, 03:40 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The South is a different cultural scale. The South is a more significant a cultural region overall to Blacks, similar to how the west is to Asians and Hispanics.

Just a metro with smaller black population 5% to 12% feel a lot less than Metros 15% to 25%, a Metro 15% to 25% is going feel a lot less than a Metro more 30%.

You can't compare a few black majority neighborhoods in a city to places that have multiple counties that are majority black or have a black popularity.

That
Why? what practical difference does this make? Like what's the really difference for someone in say Philly or DC. Let's exclude Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2023, 03:50 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Dallas and Houston is Also THE SOUTH

The South is general attracting Blacks, Dallas and Houston attracting Black isn't new Atlanta, Dallas and Houston all been doing it for a while. There a reverse great migration that been going on Since the late 70's. Atlanta just been the leading city, but it been a thing across the South.

What I learn is there anti Atlanta spite amongst some Northerners jealously because of Atlanta black growth in general don't like the attention Atlanta has gotten. So every possible negative spin has been thrown. This becomes awkward to grasp especially if you were raised taught how superior the Northeast is and how backwards the South is.

Do Atlantans have an "imaginary image" of Atlanta. or do you have an "imaginary image" of Atlantans having "imaginary image" of Atlanta? to create an abstract argument in the first place.

There is no such thing as a Black utopia, The straw man here some Northerners will compare Atlanta for failing to be a Black utopia to create an illogical argument.

What is logical is Atlanta has the highest of black percentage of any metro is the 10 cities. And the only one remotely close to have a black popularity. Now that maybe not for All blacks but it's logical why that attracting a lot.
I have tons of friends and family in Atlanta. Anyone who has never heard anyone talking about scammers and posers in Atlanta probably doesn’t live there and has no connection to the city. This is common knowledge amongst the residents there which is why they hate transplants so much. They are the problem!

If this is new to you, I question how long you have been in Atlanta or your familiarity to Atlanta. I mean, just go listen to vlogs about Atlanta and you’ll hear the complaints. The type of people coming to Atlanta is the problem.

Old 12-25-2023, 08:28 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I have tons of friends and family in Atlanta. Anyone who has never heard anyone talking about scammers and posers in Atlanta probably doesn’t live there and has no connection to the city. This is common knowledge amongst the residents there which is why they hate transplants so much. They are the problem!

If this is new to you, I question how long you have been in Atlanta or your familiarity to Atlanta. I mean, just go listen to vlogs about Atlanta and you’ll hear the complaints. The type of people coming to Atlanta is the problem.
I born in Chicago and Grew up between Atlanta and DFW, hence the name Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas. I have lived in the city proper, Dekalb, Gwinnett, Cobb and Spalding counties.

Your comment is abstract and not base on any providable stat rather "it's what everybody who I know conveniently feels the way I believe coincidentally."

Everything exists in "vlogs" if you search something crazy you likely find something crazy.

Metro Atlanta black populations has growing rabidly since the 70's. in general Atlanta is a Sunbelt city. the metro was just 3 million in early 90's now has double to over 6 million. in the 2000's alone over half a million Black people came to metro Atlanta.

So I don't think you understand the scale of how much people you are generalizing here. Since the 90's Atlanta probably has over a million black transplants. And you're generalizing them " they're wannabe rappers."

So Looking at the idea entirely for you to believe this you have to believe a significant of amount of Black people in general to be that dumb. That the city that has the largest black migration the past few decades is because they wannbe rappers.

Last edited by chiatldal; 12-25-2023 at 08:37 PM..

Old 12-25-2023, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Why? what practical difference does this make? Like what's the really difference for someone in say Philly or DC. Let's exclude Boston.
I would say Philly or DC do both have large, sizable Black populations. I'm not arguing they don't. but the difference in Atlanta if your Black you barely feel like your "minority." across a vast part of the Metro area "not just half a dozen neighborhoods" you're not. Atlanta nearly has 30% more Black people than DC when their metros are similar sizes.

It's like Comparing Denver and Tampa Hispanic population and culture to place like Miami and LA. While Denver and Tampa have a sizable Hispanic population Miami and LA level would be on a difference level.

Old 12-25-2023, 08:50 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
But then you have a show like Donald Glover's "Atlanta" which is HELLA different than the "Hollywood" Real Housewives of Atlanta image of the city. It actually did a good job of taking on those superimposed images of the city in a very satirical thought provoking manner. One of the smartest shows on TV in our modern times. And even though it was a surreal take on the culture of Atlanta and everything that encompasses Black Culture in America, it was the most real and honest depiction of Atlanta and Black America on TV in this modern era.

Yet in still TV shows are a not a true depiction of a city. If that were the case then you mean to tell me that Detroit is a city full of drug dealers on every corner? Since that seems to be one of the main images that shows up time and time again of Detroit in mainstream media. It has to be more to the city than that?

With that said, I think it's just way too much generalizations and projections on certain cities based off limited experiences and media perception. Which I find interesting considering so many Non-Black people in general generalize us based off limited experiences and negative media images. It's a sad day when some of us start emulating White supremacist attitudes against one another based solely on region.

But anyway, I ran across the brotha Charles Blow who's a political analyst who lived in New York City for about 30 years and use to be a writer for the New York Times new documentary entitled "South to Black Power".

I don't think enough Black Americans are talking about his proposal for more Black Americans to move back to the south for political and economic power. He moved to Atlanta btw, and lays out pretty good reasons as to why a mass influx of Black people back to the south would probably be the best move for the collective of Black America.

Of course it's not perfect and it'll have some extreme challenges especially in states like Mississippi and Louisiana but I think it's a much needed discussion.

I know the idea will get a lot of pushback from Non Black Southerners but it's a discussion I think is worth a having.

And for the record he's advocating Black American in mass move to these 9 Southern states: ( Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Delaware, Maryland) and yes he's going by Census definition of the south so that includes Maryland and Delaware.

This conversation with Toure( New Yorker) reminds me of this very thread here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKPGHjTxgJE

1. Many black families from Philadelphia who wanna maintain that middle-class lifestyle aspiring to live in the south, a la spacious lawns, wide open spaces, cheap (acres of) land first move to Delaware. A lot of people don't know that Delaware is a pretty big hub for black Philadelphians.

2. Atlanta is the city for the "young and restless" who want a networking city with vibrant nightlife. Most if not all Philly rappers have a house in ATL or permanently move down there, it's for our entrepreneurs, actors looking to make it big, OF models-- people of that nature and people , so MDAllstar isn't wrong at all when he says it attracts a certain person. If DC is bougie then Atlanta is "hood bougie" and that's not a knock. The stereotype of a gritty, blue collar, family-oriented man in Philly exists for a reason and it's even reinforced by the Flyers' mascot, Gritty. but that's not the image ATL on a national scale. Its image is of affluence, prosperity and bougieness. I can't stress it enough but stereotypes exist for a reason, they don't materialize in thin air for the heck of it.

Old 12-25-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I would say Philly or DC do both have large, sizable Black populations. I'm not arguing they don't. but the difference in Atlanta if your Black you barely feel like your "minority." across a vast part of the Metro area "not just half a dozen neighborhoods" you're not. Atlanta nearly has 30% more Black people than DC when their metros are similar sizes.

It's like Comparing Denver and Tampa Hispanic population and culture to place like Miami and LA. While Denver and Tampa have a sizable Hispanic population Miami and LA level would be on a difference level.
So your practical difference is you will feel like a minority if you go to non majority black areas. But so far as like just your QOL that only matters if that's an issue for you Im just saying there's reasons why maybe Northeastern blacks aren't so awestruck or enamored. At least the ones who haven't moved.

In being very transoarent when I say by FAr the number one thing I hear when people move to ATL is the COL and especially the quality of housing. By far by far. That's the selling point. You're not telling people in Newark and Philly like “come to Atlanta for black culture”- they're all set. I know there are people for cultural reasons but I think the COL and housing quality is as big.

And when you're in Boston and NYC the black world revolves around NYC- that just is what it is. No way around it- the gravitational pull is that enormous.

Old 12-25-2023, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
1. Many black families from Philadelphia who wanna maintain that middle-class lifestyle aspiring to live in the south, a la spacious lawns, wide open spaces, cheap (acres of) land first move to Delaware. A lot of people don't know that Delaware is a pretty big hub for black Philadelphians.

2. Atlanta is the city for the "young and restless" who want a networking city with vibrant nightlife. Most if not all Philly rappers have a house in ATL or permanently move down there, it's for our entrepreneurs, actors looking to make it big, OF models-- people of that nature and people on the run from the law (seriously) so MDAllstar isn't wrong at all when he says it attracts a certain person. If DC is bougie then Atlanta is "hood bougie" and that's not a knock. The stereotype of a gritty, blue collar, family-oriented man in Philly exists for a reason and it's even reinforced by the Flyers' mascot, Gritty. but that's not the image ATL on a national scale. It's image is of affluence, prosperity and bougieness. I can't stress it enough but stereotypes exist for a reason, they don't materialzie in this air for the heck of it.
Yes is it and beyond silly.

I told your where these "stereotypes" are coming from Northerneastern have a ego and look down on the South. It's spite against Atlanta a southern city to be even popular in the first place. So it basically lets add something extra negative and illogical to knock the city because something has be wrong negative it's the south.

Next error these are general racist stereotypes and views toward Black Americans in general, So in actually you just taking negative stereotypes. And just applying it the city that attracting most black people.

Now I'm not saying these stereotypes don't exist but as Black person you should know better. You should know better that even if hip hop etc is popular among African Americans, African Americans culture, goals etc are more complex. but rather your here actually trying to argue for them and don't see anything weird by it.

Atlanta has gain over a million black people the past few decades, you think it remotely logical to believe a million plus black move to Atlanta for ""hood bougie". then Atlanta did really become popular in hip hop until the late 90's and Early 2000's Atlanta has been called the Black Mecca since the 70's. Atlanta long has been known for Black higher education, Civil rights, political leaders and Black ownership.

Old 12-25-2023, 09:53 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,616,925 times
Quote:
Yes is it and beyond silly.

I told your where these "stereotypes" are coming from Northerneastern have a ego and look down on the South. It's spite against Atlanta a southern city to be even popular in the first place. So it basically lets add something extra negative and illogical to knock the city because something has be wrong negative it's the south.

Next error these are general racist stereotypes and views toward Black Americans in general, So in actually you just taking negative stereotypes. And just applying it the city that attracting most black people.

Now I'm not saying these stereotypes don't exist but as Black person you should know better. You should know better that even if hip hop etc is popular among African Americans, African Americans culture, goals etc are more complex. but rather your here actually trying to argue for them and don't see anything weird by it.

Atlanta has gain over a million black people the past few decades, you think it remotely logical to believe a million plus black move to Atlanta for ""hood bougie". then Atlanta did really become popular in hip hop until the late 90's and Early 2000's Atlanta has been called the Black Mecca since the 70's. Atlanta long has been known for Black higher education, Civil rights, political leaders and Black ownership.
Bro, perfect post and I wouldn't continue to go back and forth with people who speak on certain things that they clearly see on television or "supposedly" learn from people that live in Atlanta. For me, I currently live in with the DMV and I see people that move here and are shame of their southern roots. In fact, I live in Charles County MD and you couldn't find too many counties more southern. Many people in the area that I've met disregard this county like it's a foreign land. Yet, they will claim it as the highest earning black income county in the U.S for argumental purposes. You couldn't pay me to stay in the DMV past my Air Force contract because it's too many people that have the "self-important" mentality, though they live the most mundane life-style ever. I'll take Atlanta, which may include a pay cut, cheaper housing, more black opportunities and much, much more humbled people.

This is my DMV experience.

Old 12-25-2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
So your practical difference is you will feel like a minority if you go to non majority black areas. But so far as like just your QOL that only matters if that's an issue for you Im just saying there's reasons why maybe Northeastern blacks aren't so awestruck or enamored. At least the ones who haven't moved.

In being very transoarent when I say by FAr the number one thing I hear when people move to ATL is the COL and especially the quality of housing. By far by far. That's the selling point. You're not telling people in Newark and Philly like “come to Atlanta for black culture”- they're all set. I know there are people for cultural reasons but I think the COL and housing quality is as big.

And when you're in Boston and NYC the black world revolves around NYC- that just is what it is. No way around it- the gravitational pull is that enormous.
That's a straw man, The majority of Black Americans are middle class, The majority of Blacks in Atlanta are middle class, the majority of Black moving to Atlanta are middle class.

I already mention even if you argue DC has a higher median income average, that not going change Atlanta factually would have a larger black middle class than DC. My point is your way more likely to run into Black doctors, lawyers, teaches, business owners etc in Atlanta than DC. Blacks are more interwoven with everything business, political, social in Atlanta. This is why I brought up percentages, it's level of involved of Blacks, Atlanta is a large middle class metro area with over 6 million, and yet unlike All metro is size it nearly has black plurality. This mean if Blacks Atlanta fails Atlanta fails but yet Metro Atlanta has been successful and thriving with a black population that large. Though DC has a large Black population and is known for Black excellence too, The DC area isn't quite up to that level of being held up the way Blacks are involved in metro Atlanta.

The conflict here is yall want to boast DC Black professional, education etc. That's fine but even if DC does best Atlanta in those areas Atlanta is still known for that too. So not only is Atlanta black population is over 1/3 larger than DC, Atlanta is still one top cities in those areas............ but this doesn't work with what yall trying to frame. Yall been trying to offset Atlanta larger black pop with trying to paint Atlanta as retched as if there a hard contrast with DC.

Last edited by chiatldal; 12-25-2023 at 10:30 PM..

Old 12-26-2023, 12:32 AM

Chiatld i dont think you addressed anything really from me here.

i’m saying it sounds like the biggest benefit of Atlanta is never being in the minority which is cool if that matters to you I’m used to being in the minority when I leave black areas I don’t really I mean it’s fine. Its not a reason I'd move. As long as I've got some numbers and community in very cool. I like diverse areas.

You say I’ll bump into all those people dude I knew black lawyers, doctors and someone in Boston like I knew them on personal levels. I don’t get it. I stayed at their houses. I slept over with their kids, went to the Vineyard with them. if I want a black doctor, or black lawyer (other than the ones I know) I can just look one up here in Baltimore or Philly or tons of places- like that’s what I mean practically

There's a woman in Boston whom Ive been to her home in Brookine a dozen times parties there, celebrated Kwanzaa there and so on—

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/12/...al-wealth-gap/

Among the personal mementos that decorate OneUnited Bank’s downtown Boston headquarters, Teri Williams looks to one with particular pride: her ancestors’ manumission papers declaring their freedom from slavery.

“It’s important that we appreciate how far we’ve come,” said Williams, the president and chief operating officer of the bank.

Williams sees her ancestors’ emancipation as a guiding influence in her work with OneUnited, the largest Black-owned bank in the country.

But amid all the history, the bank is aiming to further embed itself in Boston’s Black community; it will offer a down payment assistance program to help first-time homebuyers in Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan, for instance. Williams emphasized other critical roles the bank can continue to play as the city and the nation undergo a racial reckoning in the post-2020 era, as the city considers reparations, and as policymakers explore ways to narrow the region’s yawning racial wealth gap.

I think there are many black elites all up and down the East Coast especially in the north east corner. Yes, even in Boston. I don’t feel the need to chase black excellence 1000 miles away. I’ve been raised around and I’ve seen it… I've spoke with Professor Henry aoggltree, Henry Louis Gates Jr, Judges, doctors etc…my brother just graduated Harvard- it’s tangible to me. And my mom went to Spelman as did my cousin.

I get it. Atlants has the most but how many do you need to do what you need to do? if you want a large black firm its the place to be.

I really am not trying to put DC over Atlanta. Because for .*me? NYC trumps them both. That reason is responsible for too much of the culture I grew up in and absorbed for me to be concerned with DC. I found the DC people too be pretty bougie I think some of the comments here kind of confirm that. I didn't finish my lease there despite it being objectively a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City