Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best beach city line up?
Hawaii 11 7.01%
California 43 27.39%
Florida 78 49.68%
North Carolina 3 1.91%
New Jersey 13 8.28%
Other ( Name it) 9 5.73%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
If we're talking strictly about beach towns/cities, then it's Florida easily. At a certain point along CA's coast, the coastal towns/cities lack that typical beach culture due to decreases in average temperatures. If we're talking about coastal towns/cities, then I'd give it to California.

You would probably be surprised to learn that Northern California has better big wave surfing than Socal. The beach culture doesn't decrease as you go up the coast line, the surfing just gets better There are plenty of "beach cities" in Norcal...Santa Cruz, Aptos, Half Moon Bay, Bodega Bay, Monterey Bay

Mavericks (Half Moon Bay, near SF)

YouTube - Epic Mavericks Big Wave Surfing 11/30/2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 11:29 PM

A lot of people seem to think Norcal doesn't have a "beach culture" like Socal but that's just not true. Here are a few Norcal's beach cities

Aptos

Santa Cruz

Monterey Bay

Old 09-04-2010, 11:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
The beach culture doesn't decrease as you go up the coast line
Yes it does, very much so actually. Outside of Santa Cruz there is very little in the way of stereotypical beach culture found in Northern CA, especially compared to SoCal.
Quote:
the surfing just gets better
As well as the water getting colder and more dangerous for the vast majority that aren't big wave and experienced surfers. People generally don't die from getting swept into the ocean while just walking along the beach in Southern CA like they do in Northern Ca.
Quote:
There are plenty of "beach cities" in Norcal...Santa Cruz, Aptos, Half Moon Bay, Bodega Bay, Monterey Bay
Those are towns or small cities. And places like Half Moon Bay and Bodega Bay I would hardly call a "beach city" given how cold and foggy they are much of the time.
Quote:
A lot of people seem to think Norcal doesn't have a "beach culture" like Socal but that's just not true. Here are a few Norcal's beach cities
That's because it doesn't. Those are pretty much the only Northern CA beach cities that can even begin to compare to Southern CA in terms of beach culture. Carmel and a few others probably would fit but compared to the millions that live along the Southern CA coast it's really pales in comparison.

I've lived within 3 miles of the coast in SD for nine years now and spent a lot of time along the coast in Northern CA growing up. NorCal simply does not have the beach culture that SoCal does except for a few smaller cities and even then, it's not as strong and equal to what you find down here.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes it does, very much so actually. Outside of Santa Cruz there is very little in the way of stereotypical beach culture found in Northern CA, especially compared to SoCal.
As well as the water getting colder and more dangerous for the vast majority that aren't big wave and experienced surfers. People generally don't die from getting swept into the ocean while just walking along the beach in Southern CA like they do in Northern Ca.
Those are towns or small cities. And places like Half Moon Bay and Bodega Bay I would hardly call a "beach city" given how cold and foggy they are much of the time.
That's because it doesn't. Those are pretty much the only Northern CA beach cities that can even begin to compare to Southern CA in terms of beach culture. Carmel and a few others probably would fit but compared to the millions that live along the Southern CA coast it's really pales in comparison.

I've lived within 3 miles of the coast in SD for nine years now and spent a lot of time along the coast in Northern CA growing up. NorCal simply does not have the beach culture that SoCal does except for a few smaller cities and even then, it's not as strong and equal to what you find down here.
I'm just stating you can't just cross off Norcal all together while talking about "beach cities". We may not have as many as Socal but there are legit beach cities present here. It just seems a lot of people all together ignore Norcal while talking about beach cities. We do have some nice ones up here. Especially Santa Cruz.

Last edited by kcee510; 09-05-2010 at 12:19 AM..

Old 09-05-2010, 12:47 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Texas has a pretty good lineup of beach cities considering how relatively short of a coastline we have here in the Lone Star State.

1. South Padre Island
2. Corpus Christi
3. Galveston Island
4. Port Lavaca
5. Rockport
6. Freeport

Old 09-05-2010, 01:27 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
I'm just stating you can't just cross off Norcal all together while talking about "beach cities". We may not have as many as Socal but there are legit beach cities present here. It just seems a lot of people all together ignore Norcal while talking about beach cities. We do have some nice ones up here. Especially Santa Cruz.
You have a point but I tend to agree with sav858 that Southern California is strongly a "beach culture" but only in places in Northern California. Aside from Santa Cruz which has a long history of surfing, a great boardwalk and beaches, there aren't any other areas comparable in northern California. Bodega bay and Stinton beach are hardly examples of beach "culture" since it is more fishing oriented and a little tourism. Half Moon Bay is certainly close to the action as far as the best surfing conditions during winter but considering how close it is to San Francisco there really isn't that much of a surfer community. Monterey bay has surfing outside Santa Cruz [maybe around Moss Landings, Marina and Seaside] but a lot less than Santa Cruz; and Carmel beach is very dangerous for rip currents and occasional shark sightings. I can't think of any really well know surfing spots south of Carmel in large part due to the very steep mountains, shallow beaches and inaccessible. Maybe around Point Sur. I suppose there is some surfing\ beach life in northern San Luis Obispo county around San Simeon\ Cambria\ Cayucos and Morro Bay. Avila beach is more of a surf culture area as well as Pismo beach. North of Marin county\ Bay Area there must be some surfing and beach activity but the currents are very strong and the water is often very cold.

It becomes an entirely different story once south of Pt Conception especially around Santa Barbara down to Ventura and into Los Angeles county. And the beach culture in Orange county is very strong as well as San Diego county with many sizable beach cities and crowded surfing spots. For example, nowhere in northern California is there a place like the "Wedge" in Newport Beach.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:29 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
True, but Disney got smart years ago and realized folks were coming to visit the mouse house on day trips and spending the rest of their time on coastal FL beaches.....so they just built there own beach. They are masters in the art of wallet draining.
Nice.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Californians don't know that. They don't know much about anything West of the Rockies.
BTW, I say this from experience. I grew up there. I go there all the time for work. I am usually shocked by how little Californians know about anything that doesn't have to do with them.
Same can be said about Eastcoast residents. I was born in Florida, and moved here(NC) from Texas, and was shocked how little people knew(Mostly Northern transplants), or cared, about anything West of the Mississippi.

Last edited by polo89; 09-05-2010 at 02:51 AM..

Old 09-05-2010, 03:15 AM

10 posts, read 34,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Californians don't know that. They don't know much about anything West of the Rockies.
BTW, I say this from experience. I grew up there. I go there all the time for work. I am usually shocked by how little Californians know about anything that doesn't have to do with them.
True but not me. I've actually been all over the U.S. but not like many of these dam CA posters who put CA over everything. I however have seen the U.S. from a honest eye view and will give a clear and as non-biased review and point. I even put down my state/ city when it comes to a certain criteria! I surprised you wrote that after one post. -_-

Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:

Aptos

Santa Cruz

Monterey Bay
These photos are awesome, especially the top one. NorCal, NorCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City