Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:48 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,233,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhead View Post
From the article:
metro areas were evaluated based on 19 criteria, including population density per square mile, use of mass transit, crime rates, and square miles of local and state parks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, see this:
Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities for Pedestrians - ABC News
Top 10 Most Dangerous Metropolitan Areas for Pedestrians

The 10 most dangerous metropolitan areas for pedestrians in 2007-2008 were Orlando, Tampa , Miami and Jacksonville, Florida; Memphis, Tennessee ; Raleigh, North Carolina ; Louisville, Kentucky ; Houston; Birmingham, Alabama; and Atlanta.
The three safest cities were Seattle ; Portland, Oregon; and Minneapolis-St. Paul.
I'm surprised New York isn't up there for dangerous areas for pedestrians, you ever tried to cross a street in Manhattan during rush hour? Lol, I'm not surprised Miami is on that list though, people drive crazy in the MIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 16,110 times
Seattle is by far a much more pleasant place if you can just walk. Plus, the drivers will go out of their way to stop for you so you can cross the street. This is something Seattle definitely has going for it, if you don't mind a few hills.

Denver is hands down better on bike. Walking is great too.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,216,290 times
From what I know it seems like Seattle would be better suited to a person wanting to walk to a grocery store or have an urban lifestyle. If a person is wanting to live in an area suited from walking dogs, hiking and jogging, Denver is a little bit better. However both have a little bit of the others strength. Denver can get snow storms but it often doesn't feel extremely cold do to the lack of humidity and the snow usually melts fast and is followed up by nice warm days. Seattle will have relentless but usually mild misting rainfall for months on end. As far as weather goes but have seasons that our really nice and others that you may not care for being outside walking in. I think Denver's weather is better, IMO.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,305,572 times
I think they are comparable. Seattle has a a more walkable downtown and outer neighborhood cores, but in Denver it's easier to walk between neighborhoods (outside of the downtown/inner neighborhood area).

Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM

456 posts, read 780,803 times
Another piece of data:

Via Walkscore:

Seattle Rentals, Apartments, and Neighborhoods on Walk Score
Denver Rentals, Apartments, and Neighborhoods on Walk Score

For Seattle, you can happily live/work within the most walkable neighborhoods in town without needing to visit the periphery depending on your job. I imagine its somewhat the same in Denver.

Ben

Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 AM

18 posts, read 42,614 times
I've lived, worked, and gone to school in both cities without owning a car.

Overall, I'd say that Seattle is "more" walkable in that there are definitely more walkable areas, but there are neighborhoods in Denver that are just as good.

It all depends on where you work and live. I personally get around easier in Denver, but that's due in large part to where I live in relation to the light rail lines, my work, school, etc.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,804,914 times
How do the two compare as far as public transportation?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:55 PM

10 posts, read 18,517 times
Denver is not as walkable as many want to make it feel as it is. Unlike many eastern cities it is not divided into distinct neighborhoods with their own business district that you can walk to in your respective neighborhood to get what you need. It mostly has Colfax that is very long, and then a few strips of business districts here and there along the grid that will not support what you need. Depending on where you live in reference to a certain business district strip will depend what you have to walk too. Denver seems to be the one city that is overblown. Where everybody makes it out to be more than it really is. It is a boring bland city with a ok downtown next to amazing scenery.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,963,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
I'm very familiar with Denver, and I think it's much more walkable than Seattle. I've stayed in Seattle for up to 3 weeks at a time, & it's really pretty. But it's not quite as easy to get around without a car as Denver is.

But if you're looking for a more urban place, Seattle is a little more urban than Denver. Denver has more open space & less crowds. I guess you kinda have to think which one's more important to you: living in a walkable city or an urban city

Jessie
I liked your post -- very honestly perspective!

Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 PM

443 posts, read 885,063 times
I think Seattle is much easier to get around without a car - there are far more self-sustaining neighborhood commercial cores spread throughout the city. And DT Seattle and close-in neighborhoods are more walkable and dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City