Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 25,548 times

Advertisements

My job location is changing and I can choose either Seattle or Denver. I've only visited but both cities seem nice, reasonable, etc. Office is located at One Union Square, 600 University Street and would like to find a small house with a good backyard that can house three medium size dogs. Advice for neighborhood, thoughts about Seattle life, etc. very much appreciated. Oh, probably should mention I will be moving from Atlanta and am looking forward to leaving the south!

Last edited by martiny; 05-30-2007 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 12:40 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,739 times
The address of the office you gave is right smack in the middle of downtown Seattle, not far from Westlake Center. It's a very urban area, let's say ... so the housing options nearby would be more along the lines of condos than single family housing.

There is also the issue of price: housing in Seattle is a LOT more expensive than in Atlanta. I would definitely do some research into that if I was in your situation. Denver's prices are more in line with Atlanta.

What do you like to do? What sort of activities do you do each day? Seattle is a city where people tend to be defined by their recreational activities (hiking, jogging, biking, etc.). If you aren't physically active, there are other groups that you can join. But, there is a cliquish quality to this tendency to group ... so I have been told by others (I think it's pretty keen, myself).

I have only visited Denver once, so I'm not much help in that regard. From what I understand, it is more conservative than Seattle (by a longshot!), but still tolerable regardless of political affiliation.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 PM

7 posts, read 31,016 times
Seattle. I use to live in Olympia (Capitol of Washington State), And I was born in Olympia. Seattle is one of the coolest cities ever, followed by New Orleans. From what I have heard (Since I have never been to Denver) Seattle has 24/7 Nightlife and Denver doesn't. Seattle is also and AMAZING city to fly into at night. How it glows up is so amazing. The city isn't only a cool looking city, it is BEAUTIFUL! The Puget Sound makes it 2X beautiful than what it already is! I hope I was any help, Go Seahawks!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:55 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Man, you should consider yourself lucky. Both cities consistently top those "where do you wish you lived" lists.

They are both very similar cities, with one glaring exception being that Seattle is a coastal city. Both have great access to mountains, hiking, camping, etc. Seattle enjoys the benefit of the water front. So if you are out door recreation, you can't go wrong. If you think you may want to try water sports, Seattle is a no brainer. Denver is closer to world class skiing, but Seattle has access to skiing as well.

Both are pretty good sports towns, but Denver pretty much annihilates Seattle in this category, in terms of sports tradition at least. Fans are pretty passionate in both cities, but I'd give Denver's fans the edge here. Denver's LoDo is great for sports bars and late night fun and games.

Seattle is slightly larger, but as far as dining, shopping, etc... you'll find that the two cities are about equal.

Bottom line, I think you can't miss on this one. Enjoy whichever one you choose!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

Both are pretty good sports towns, but Denver pretty much annihilates Seattle in this category, in terms of sports tradition at least.
Why would that be?

Football? Edge only in Superbowls really.
Baseball? Seattle gets this edge despite their suckiness of late
Basketball? NBA no longer in Seattle, but Seattle has a rich NBA History
Soccer. Seattle, despite the MLS championship, Seattle is the Mecca for soccer in the US
Hockey? Denver
College BB - Seattle
College FB - Seattle.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Perhaps "annihilates" was too strong a word. "Decisively better" would have been more appropriate.

NFL: Broncos > Seahawks. Not just because the Broncos have 2 SB wins and the Seahawks have none, but for the tradition and legacy of the franchise overall. The Broncos are miles ahead of the Seahawks in this regard. This comparison arguably could be Broncos > all Seattle sports.

MLB: Rockies = Mariners. The Mariners have been around a lot longer, but have only 1 more playoff appearance than the Rockies, and have not gone to the World Series. The Rockies enjoyed decent fan support even through multiple years of futility, and now that the team is more competitive, the fans are rejuvenated.

NBA: Nuggets > Nothing. I do not follow NBA at all, so I actually don't know the circumstances that led to the Sonics leaving for Oklahoma City. I believe you when you say that Seattle has a rich basketball tradition, but it's really not comparison when one city still has its team and the other doesn't.

NHL: Avalanche > Nothing.

Soccer: I'll just take your word on this one. I know the Rapids won MLS title, but I don't know enough or care enough about MLS to know what teams are where.

College Sports is a discussion all of its own. Across the board, I would put the Buffaloes about the same level as the Huskies. Both cities have several smaller universities and a program by program comparison could go on forever.

Overall, I would say that Denver is decisively a better sports city, though I do think Seattle is very under rated as a sports city.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,760 times
Denver has better weed.
Denver wins.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
The Denver Nuggets at one point had the league's top scorer with Carmelo Antony & Allen Iverson who at that time was the leagues second higher scorer. The Super Sonics were fine, Ray Allen used to be in it but I think the Nuggets take it for the NBA.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 PM

61 posts, read 66,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Denver has better weed.
Denver wins.
Wow, this one has no picture.

It has the snazzy little one liner you're known for, or two liner as the case may be, but no picture! Baffling!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 PM

381 posts, read 862,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Denver has better weed.
Denver wins.
That is absolutely false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City