Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbullard View Post
Thanks for not reading into my description wrong. We are not rascists...we just want to live in a very specific kind of place. House value in most important, we have taken a hard hit in Charlotte by not being more picky
So ... after all of this drama, you must tell us what you meant by "culturally diverse area?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 11,373 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the feedback. I do, however, think it is sad that people cannot have an ideal place to live with specific criteria and that becomes offensive to random people. Certain types of cities suit people for different reasons. Thanks to all who have given some useful advice on where to raise my family...free of drama, crime, etc.
is this what you meant by "cultural diversity?"

nothing wrong with being picky...there's nothing wrong with having your preferences and if you prefer not to live around people of other races, that's your business. I'd say it's better to be open about that than to have it become a huge issue with your new neighbors.

Don't live in Kennedy Heights, Silverton, Pleasant Ridge, Northside. Those places are pretty open to diversity.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 PM

455 posts, read 1,884,803 times
Race issues aside for a sec, the big question is this (I think). Why would anyone want to live near a wal-mart or target and expect their house value not to plummet over time? Neither big box establishment has made a substantial effort to evolve or change their stock (besides the electronics) for at least 5 years. I easily predict these superstores to be the empty suburban structures we all know they will become in much the same way Hills and Gold Circle ended up in the past. The funny thing here is that the op is begging for a medocre, low brow environment as temorary milk-toast haven away from what they will eventually have to face as a result.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
After 20 or so deleted posts, all I can say is: everybody please calm down and stop hijacking threads. Try and help, contribute. If you have nothing constructive to say, no one forces you to answer.
Yac.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:18 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
There are plenty of small towns surrounding Cincinnati, that you will probably be comfortable in. Towns with decent schools, fairly low crime, fairly steady housing values, and access to the types of stores you are interested in.

Many of these towns are not very diverse socio-economically (everyone, no matter their ethnicity has about the same standard of living) and will probably give you the homogenous small-town feel you crave.

When you come here to look, try the smaller slightly more rural towns and townships on the edge of Cinci metro (I live in the NE - so by me this would include Lebanon, waynesville, maineville, Morrow, etc..)

And by the way, I do not feel these towns are anything but tolerant and lovely (by my experiences in them) in case anyone wants to try to read anything into them. But they are small towns, somewhat conservative, and with a relatively narrow socioeconomic majority... which I think the OP sounds like they are interested in.

Good Luck! Hope you find a place you and your family will be comfortable

Old 08-07-2008, 11:07 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,121 times
Working in the westside D-hood near old Salem mall, I understand where you're coming from. A lot of the time, diversity unfortunately equals crime and other problems. However, basically any city north of 275 should easily fit your needs, or maybe Mariemont if you want a little closer in (harder to get to places easily due to quirky geography, though.)

Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 PM

27 posts, read 106,044 times
Better not go to Mason or West Chester. They are pretty diverse, with a lot of east Asians and Indians.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Mason and WestChester are also economically pretty narrow. As in generally better off.

Unfortunately there is a high correlation of crime and socially disruptive behavior with poverty - whatever the skin color of the person involved.

So perhaps the OP isn't as culturally insensitive as everyone seems to be sugggesting, but just wants a fairly narrow socio-economic area to raise their family in. One without the very bottom, and the attendant problems that go along with that.

And - for the record - I happen to believe that by addressing poverty, we can address some of the social issues that come along with it. However, I also don't think people should be forced to deal with situations they are very uncomfortable with. If the OP wants to find a community of people in similar strata to their own, I hardly think that is remarkable.

There has been a lot written recently (NY Times, Washington Post, etc..) about the re-super-segregation (voluntary) going on in this country. Because simply put, most Humans prefer to be in an area where they have a lot in common with their community.

In the US the quick shorthand for that is usually thought of as race, but it also is self-selecting for wealth, education, etc..

It seems to be the default for humanity, to want to be with others LIKE YOURSELF. So why is everyone beating up the OP over it?

Yes, we did self-segregate. We live in a community with people (of all skin colors) that have the same median income that we do (+/- a small margin) who drive similar cars to what we do, who have similar education levels to what we do. In our case, ethnicities in the community differ - but socioeconomically it is very homogenous. That doesn't make me a bad person, or a hater of some kind. Just means I want to live in an area where there's a statistical likelihood that the person across the street will put the same value on maintaining a well landscaped lawn that I do. Also, that they will enjoy some of the same activies I do. Not weird at all.

For those who want to live in a truly diverse (not just race but class and income) area - no one is saying that's bad. Just that some people don't want to do that, through prior experience, or even if (in some cases) ignorance - that's their right. Why the problem?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:03 AM

171 posts, read 261,697 times
Quote:
My family might be moving to Cincinnati and I am concerned about finding a great area. We have 4 small kids that I homeschool and I don't venture far from home. I want a small town feel with the local Super Target/Wal-Mart, banks, a few restaurants, and parks. DO NOT want a culturally diverse area, been there done that. Looking for feedback of all types.
.... you want to buy ... to rent .. ??? and it`s a question of your money ..

Old 08-08-2008, 11:40 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Mason and WestChester are also economically pretty narrow. As in generally better off.

Unfortunately there is a high correlation of crime and socially disruptive behavior with poverty - whatever the skin color of the person involved.

So perhaps the OP isn't as culturally insensitive as everyone seems to be sugggesting, but just wants a fairly narrow socio-economic area to raise their family in. One without the very bottom, and the attendant problems that go along with that.

And - for the record - I happen to believe that by addressing poverty, we can address some of the social issues that come along with it. However, I also don't think people should be forced to deal with situations they are very uncomfortable with. If the OP wants to find a community of people in similar strata to their own, I hardly think that is remarkable.

There has been a lot written recently (NY Times, Washington Post, etc..) about the re-super-segregation (voluntary) going on in this country. Because simply put, most Humans prefer to be in an area where they have a lot in common with their community.

In the US the quick shorthand for that is usually thought of as race, but it also is self-selecting for wealth, education, etc..

It seems to be the default for humanity, to want to be with others LIKE YOURSELF. So why is everyone beating up the OP over it?

Yes, we did self-segregate. We live in a community with people (of all skin colors) that have the same median income that we do (+/- a small margin) who drive similar cars to what we do, who have similar education levels to what we do. In our case, ethnicities in the community differ - but socioeconomically it is very homogenous. That doesn't make me a bad person, or a hater of some kind. Just means I want to live in an area where there's a statistical likelihood that the person across the street will put the same value on maintaining a well landscaped lawn that I do. Also, that they will enjoy some of the same activies I do. Not weird at all.

For those who want to live in a truly diverse (not just race but class and income) area - no one is saying that's bad. Just that some people don't want to do that, through prior experience, or even if (in some cases) ignorance - that's their right. Why the problem?
the problem is, poverty is attached to race in america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati