Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 01:07 PM

8 posts, read 78,714 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get out of San Fran to a place less expensive with good health care (I'm a therapist) and lots of colleges for teaching opportunities, low crime, no major traffic congestion, decent weather, and easy trips to nature, and some basic cultural activities. I've heard that Blue Ash is a nice place to live. How does this city measure up?

I have heard some disturbing things about racial tension and racial separation into east side/west side of the city, but I don't know if that's true. I do enjoy the multiculturalism of San Fran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2006, 05:26 PM

5 posts, read 65,274 times
Why are you considering this? Wy Cincinnati?

Old 04-06-2006, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 65,274 times
When you should move to NY... I live on Long Island and I am a CPA. I was also considering some investment possibilities in diferent states... also in OH...But I think that NY is the best. You can live in subborbs and get a closeness of the large city. Also CA and NY do not have as much of racial tention as other mid American states.. Am I wrong???

Old 04-13-2006, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 21,454 times
Default Cincinnati is OK

I have lived in the Cincinnati - Dayton area for the last 20 years, and enjoy it. We never live in the cities, but in smaller cities outside of the main areas. We have a college or University close to anywhere in the area. Ohio is known for it's collages, also it's by-polar weather. Our saying is "If you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes, it will change". Mostly it is mild, not too cold, enough snow for a good sled run in the winter, not too hot, sunny more than rain. As a therapist you should have no trouble finding a job, either at the colleges or at the multiply hospitals, or therapy clinics. We are very multi-cutural. Problems are few are never lasting too long. Of course in the poverty areas of the Cities, there are problems that face every city.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:51 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,467 times
When you should move to NY... I live on Long Island and I am a CPA. I was also considering some investment possibilities in diferent states... also in OH...But I think that NY is the best. You can live in subborbs and get a closeness of the large city. Also CA and NY do not have as much of racial tention as other mid American states.. Am I wrong???

First off NY has a high unemployment rate out the roof. They have dead decaying cities. And it is very expensive. NY and Mass. were the only states that declined in population. Cincinnati is on the upswing with so many new developments. You see alot of people moving here from Missouri. Cincinnati metro is great. Ohio is such a great state to live in. I wouldnt even consider NY. Ohio barely has racial tension. Head south for that one.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:57 AM

68 posts, read 546,016 times
From this post and your previous posts, you don't seem to be too well informed.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:41 PM

From this post and your previous posts, you don't seem to be too well informed.

Seems like you arent well informed. I gave you websites check them out. Instead of bashing me like i dont know what im talking about. Heres the US bureau of Populations the people who figure out the populations first hand. These are the ones to turn to first. Check it out.

http://www.census.gov/popest/national/ (broken link)

Old 05-25-2006, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 25,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdassit
I'm looking to get out of San Fran to a place less expensive with good health care (I'm a therapist) and lots of colleges for teaching opportunities, low crime, no major traffic congestion, decent weather, and easy trips to nature, and some basic cultural activities. I've heard that Blue Ash is a nice place to live. How does this city measure up?

I have heard some disturbing things about racial tension and racial separation into east side/west side of the city, but I don't know if that's true. I do enjoy the multiculturalism of San Fran.

Hey, good to hear you're interested in Cincy... it will certainly be less expensive than SF and is known as a midwest health care hub. I live in Blue Ash, which I do feel is a great place to live and raise a family. It is very much a suburb, but is only about 15 minutes from downtown. Crime is low, the public schools (Sycamore Schools) are some of best in the state, and BA is a great destination for outdoor concerts and other cultural activities. For more info on Blue Ash's future, see the city council's (obviously biased but rightfully optimistic) presentation at http://www.blueash.com/files/documents/EDReport-CityCouncilPresentation-Feb2006-Marty.pdf (broken link)

As for racial tension/ geographical separation, some of what you heard is true, and some is not. Race riots broke out in 2001 following the killing of a 19 year old unarmed black man by a white cop, but violence and lingering consequences were isolated to some of the city's poorest neighborhoods. What the incident did reveal was the significant divide between the declining inner city and the wealthy sprawl that continues to expand into surrounding counties, although I truly feel that the situation is improving. I work downtown and spend a great deal of time in nearby neighborhoods that are more diverse (Clifton being my favorite), and hardly ever experience any of the racial tension that you've heard about. There is room for improvement, but any racial tension and separation that does exist is far less noticeable than in the south, where I'm currently in school. Oh, and any east/west tension you've heard about is simply false, more of a joke over a game called cornhole, chili, german heritage, etc. that you'll learn about if you do move here.

So basically, Cincinnati is not as multicultural as San Fran, but is heading in the right direction, living anywhere in Ohio will be much cheaper than Cali, and Blue Ash is a great place to live. I hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 18,144 times
I've been here a year and a half now. My family moved here for my job from the Detroit area. Most of my experiences have been negative. This is an extremely conservative area. Public buses somehow legally bus to parochial schools. Most politicians seemingly legislate from their religious viewpoints. Liberals or progressives will be hard pressed to make inroads here. This way of life is bred here. Racism is prevalent. Mark Twain said something to the effect when he died he wanted to be in Cincinnati because they're (20) years behind. That seems pretty accurate. The air quality is some of the worst in the country. Almost the entire state sits on high radon levels. When i inquired why GE doesn't use the universally accepted metric standard i was met with the oddest exchanges. My neighbors gauge their acceptance of me on their strict religious background. The people here i've met are some of the most unfriendliest people i've ever come across. Strange. The realtor told me the region is full of transients so my wife and i think most people don't stay long enough to get attached. My childrens kindergarten experience in the Lakota school district has been wonderful. First class. You won't find concerts or any kind of arts in the area. We went downtown after we moved here last June. Nobody out. vacant and vacuos. For an old city, the soul is gone. We've already decided we're leaving next spring. I just don't like the idea of raising my children here. There's more to life than Smog, bigots, evangelicals and Kings Island. If you have asthma, be careful. this Ohio valley traps every allergy trigger. If you like cell phones, vanity license plates, bible thumpers, anti-choice legislation, capital punishment, horrendous city planning and unfriendly people. Cincinnati is your town.
Life in a red state for me has been truly regrettable.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:34 PM

And this is coming from someone from Detroit or the Detroit area. I lived there for 6 months. I hated it and i hated Michigan. The economy up there sucks. The people are rude. And racism is everywhere in Detroit let alone Michigan. Blacks have no oppurtunity there. You see alot of people moving to Ohio from Michigan and i wonder why. Oh ya a better economy. Lets not get started on racism because Michigan is home to that. Detroit has so many open and abandoned lots its not even funny. I was afraid to be in downtown Detroit. It was a ghost town. Really you dont know much about Cincy. That downtown is vibrant and they have so much construction going on. But cant say the same in Detroit. Cincinnati spends alot more on their downtown than Detroit does. Cincinnati metro is growing. Not Detroit's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati