Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,285 times

Advertisements

I have had Cincinnati city taxes removed from my pay checks all year. How do I submit for a refund the days I didn't actually work in the city? Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a CPA that lives in KY? I'm living near Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 06:49 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,826,230 times
I suggest calling the Cincinnati Income Tax dept. and asking them what the procedure it. Is there a separate form to file for days not worked in Cincinnati? Does the normal filing form have a provision for declaring days not worked in Cincinnati? Get it straight from the horse's mouth rather than second-hand on this forum.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:06 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,758,286 times
Are prepared to prove that you didn't set foot in the city on those days nor on any non-working days? ...And didn't dawdle in the city after work or do anything common like pick up breakfast on the way to work in town?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:24 AM

It is quite common for tradespeople to declare what days were worked where for city income tax pusposes. My mother did the payroll for my dad's painting business, and one of her biggest PIA jobs was tracking the days worked and where for their employees for the withholding. You can bet the workers knew.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 AM

224 posts, read 377,465 times
Here is a link to the forms and information you need:

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/finance...65/showMeta/0/

You are only exempt from Cincinnati taxes on days worked outside the city if you were required to do so by your employer. If it is for your own convenience, for example if you work from home some days when you could have done the same work at your office in Cincinnati, these days are not exempt from city tax.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
Here is a link to the forms and information you need:

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/finance...65/showMeta/0/

You are only exempt from Cincinnati taxes on days worked outside the city if you were required to do so by your employer. If it is for your own convenience, for example if you work from home some days when you could have done the same work at your office in Cincinnati, these days are not exempt from city tax.
A very interesting point and I believe a very valid one. If you are working online using facilities provided by the employer, without which you cannot do your job, I believe it can be contended you are working in Cincinnati, physically present or not. To me and interesting scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: