Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 24,416 times

Advertisements

I am a nursing student who will be graduating soon!! YAY! and I am hoping to get a job at Cincinnati CHildren's hospital. I was wondering where are some good, save, places to live. My commute time to work and classes, right now is about 30 minutes. Because of that I would be willing to live outside of Cincy and commute, but 30 minutes is really my limit. If anyone could give me some tips I would ever so greatly appreciate it!! Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 11:21 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine-RN View Post
I am a nursing student who will be graduating soon!! YAY! and I am hoping to get a job at Cincinnati CHildren's hospital.
That's odd. My niece is Katherine who is a nursing student, graduating soon, but she already works at Children's Hospital as a NA.

You do not list a price range. However, I would recommend places like Norwood, Oakley, Mt. Washington where there are many affordable rentals. I saw some apartments on Beechmont Ave. for $425 including heat which sounds good to me.

Quote:
If anyone could give me some tips I would ever so greatly appreciate it
Nurses make some pretty good money and your profession is portable. If you get tired of Cincinnati, you can move anywhere and get a good job. That is a real asset.

Other advice. Live below your means, save plenty of money. You don't want to be a ward nurse in your late fifties unless that is your dream.

As for finding a safe neighborhood, I agree with the fellow that says to check the neighborhood out on Saturday night and Sunday morning. Take your time looking to find a place YOU feel comfortable in.

Personally, I would avoid Clifton, Coryville, Mt. Auburn, etc. I have had too many bad things happen to family and friends in those areas to feel comfortable.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:28 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,265 times
"Personally, I would avoid Clifton, Coryville, Mt. Auburn, etc. I have had too many bad things happen to family and friends in those areas to feel comfortable."

Too many people call Clifton the entire area around UC. In reality Clifton is the Gaslight district around Ludlow Ave, which is a great place to live. Walkable, close to work and everything you need is right there.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
Too many people call Clifton the entire area around UC. In reality Clifton is the Gaslight district around Ludlow Ave, which is a great place to live. Walkable, close to work and everything you need is right there.
Unless a Cincinnati neighborhood has a geographical barrier - like Mt. Washington - there is "neighborhood creep" in descriptions of areas. I have seen houses on Delta south of Columbia Parkway referred to as Mt. Lookout, half of Oakley almost to the square and the eastern portion of Norwood, is often identified as Hyde Park. I mean that everyone wants to be able to say that they live in Hyde Park.

Of course, Clifton works in the opposite direction. It keeps shrinking. Ask MOST Cincinnatians where Calhoun and Clifton Avenues or Hughes High School are located and they will say Clifton. Of course, now that those areas have been taken over by the University and much of the housing stock by slumlords, those areas are now "not" Clifton.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 PM

246 posts, read 1,048,606 times
Default Consider Deer Park

Quote:
I am a nursing student who will be graduating soon!! YAY! and I am hoping to get a job at Cincinnati CHildren's hospital. I was wondering where are some good, save, places to live. My commute time to work and classes, right now is about 30 minutes. Because of that I would be willing to live outside of Cincy and commute, but 30 minutes is really my limit. If anyone could give me some tips I would ever so greatly appreciate it!! Thanks so much!!
Deer Park is also another possibility -- easy access to I-71, it's a safe community, rents are reasonable, etc. Check it out.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:50 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I would avoid Clifton, Coryville, Mt. Auburn, etc. I have had too many bad things happen to family and friends in those areas to feel comfortable.
The most unintelligent, unhelpful, and uneducated suggestion so far for the month of December on City-Data.com

Speaking of neighborhood creep ... Explain this, why would a home sell for $600,000 in the gaslight and the same house sell for $200,000 in Corryville?

Mt. Auburn is changing at a very nice pace, btw. I'm assuming you forgot about the Range Rover and Bimmer lined streets of Prospect Hill or the huge homes near McGregor and Highland in Mt. Auburn that are being restored by the wealthy black community?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:26 PM

6 posts, read 25,860 times
I am also a nursing student, graduating in June of 2009, however, I currently work at Cincinnati Children's Hospital, and I live in Mt. Auburn, about 5 blocks south of the medical center, right around the Highland/McGregor area Cincy-Rise mentioned.

First, CCHMC is a great place to work, and I plan to stay here as an RN for at least a few years, so I would say you are making a great career choice.

Secondly, very much like Cincy-Rise said, Mt Auburn is changing daily and at a very steady pace. I actually live in one of those restored homes spoken of, and just so you know, although the wealthy black community is, in fact, a HUGE contributor to the restoration, I have seen a very diverse array of people begin to migrate to the area. My white, homosexual neighbors have the most beautiful home on our street, and you should see it now with the Christmas lights! But I digress.....

Anyway, NKY may not be a bad move as Covington and Newport have a lot of apartments and they are close to the highway, Mt Adams, Silverton/Deer Park/Kenwood, Oakley, and Pleasant Ridge all have some nice areas not too far away.....but you would be surprised at how far folks travel to get to CCHMC. My co-worker drives 2 1/2 hours each way from Carson City, KY to work night shift.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:26 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,307 times
^ Awesome! Glad you like it. I know Mt. Auburn is very diverse, I have just noticed a trend in wealthy blacks moving in. It reminds me of what's happening in Harlem ... same thing. I'm white by the way and love my neighbors no matter what color they are (that's the way I like it ...a diverse community).

Old 12-12-2008, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 25,860 times
Well Cincy-Rise, I'd have you for a neighbor anyday! I, however am black but I don't have the beamer or benz you talked about to match my restored house.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 24,416 times
Thanks for all of this information! It has been very helpful! I just got offered the job in the hematology/oncology! YAY! I'll probably be up several times between between now and june to look at apts. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: