Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM

307 posts, read 543,661 times

Advertisements

Ok let's try and get back on track, if my friend owns a third shift / unemployed person bar, why would one be surprised when that's who is hanging out there? And then state that Washington park is slipping away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,234,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Slick View Post
I'll take your word for it....never been inside actually.....but it just always seems like there are plenty of people doing nothing more than standing around on the sidewalk outside when I've been in the area. It doesn't keep me from coming to OTR for food & drink a couple times per month or more.
You have people outside smoking, cause you can't do that inside establishments in Ohio. You also get some neighborhood people hanging on the stoop next door. But it's mostly bar business, as far as I can tell. What's wrong with hanging outside of an establishment? Or on the corner, for that matter?

I've never seen people harassing anyone, selling drugs, or anything other nuisance activity. I'm by there damn near daily, and on foot many times. Never an odd look from anyone, never a wayward comment, nothing. I have had some decent, casual conversations with people who are there though. Maybe you guys should give that a try sometimes, instead of coming off judgemental. Not trying to put anyone on blast, I'm just saying that perceptions can differ from reality at times, and this is a prime example.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
Ok let's try and get back on track, if my friend owns a third shift / unemployed person bar, why would one be surprised when that's who is hanging out there? And then state that Washington park is slipping away?
It's not a retired, third shift / unemployed persons bar. It's open from 6 in the morning, until around 3 in the afternoon. In fact, my friend who is a regular, works at Nicholas. the problem is obvious. It's a group of black people, patronizing an establishment that is primarily black. And all the stereotypes associated with black people are applied in this case. You guys are dead wrong about the 1132 Bar, and frankly, using racist stereotypes about an establishment you are totally clueless about. And OP is dead wrong about Washington Park. But what more can you expect from an area as backwards as the Cincinnati Metro?

Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 PM

172 posts, read 254,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
You have people outside smoking, cause you can't do that inside establishments in Ohio. You also get some neighborhood people hanging on the stoop next door. But it's mostly bar business, as far as I can tell. What's wrong with hanging outside of an establishment? Or on the corner, for that matter?

I've never seen people harassing anyone, selling drugs, or anything other nuisance activity. I'm by there damn near daily, and on foot many times. Never an odd look from anyone, never a wayward comment, nothing. I have had some decent, casual conversations with people who are there though. Maybe you guys should give that a try sometimes, instead of coming off judgemental. Not trying to put anyone on blast, I'm just saying that perceptions can differ from reality at times, and this is a prime example.
TJ...you need to chill, dude. I just made an observation based on what I have seen on that corner. I don't live in the area so it is of no real concern to me. If it is a reputable establishment and a community asset then I apologize for being "judgemental".

Old 07-29-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
This is the place sort of around the corner from SCPA, right? If so, I don't really understand the point of your posting, but my husband knows the guy who owns that bar. It's a respectable place, and as TomJones said, reputed to serve pretty good food. As far as I know, he closes up at night because he prefers to avoid the standard issues/problems that can arise after dark in that kind of neighborhood, and because he does enough business in the daytime. I have the impression he goes more after the older, drink-in-the-afternoon retired/unemployed crowd.
Sarah, this post is not directed at you, I'm speaking more in general terms, and to handle a popular perception that is no longer valid. I appreciate you providing feedback to substantiate what I am saying about the 1132 Bar. Personally, I don't like seeing small businesses getting a bad name for no reason. I see the owner outside often enough, sweeping, cleaning up, taking care of things. He strikes me as a hard working individual.

I'm sure when OTR was ghetto, it was a wise decision not to stay open late at night. I can say that the area around Washington Park is no longer a rough neighborhood, but is on the cusp of becoming an expensive, sought after location. Many of you guys have no idea how much construction is currently under way between Walnut and Elm streets, and from 13th to 15th streets. Most of what's going in are expensive condos. But this sort of thing has flown under the radar in Cincinnati for a long time, as far as I can tell. It's starting to become more mainstream, and eventually it will.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Slick View Post
TJ...you need to chill, dude. I just made an observation based on what I have seen on that corner. I don't live in the area so it is of no real concern to me. If it is a reputable establishment and a community asset then I apologize for being "judgemental".
I am chill. I'm just keeping it real and being honest. Not mad, excited, or anything else.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:39 PM

307 posts, read 543,661 times
I'm saying these things due to two incidents friends have has where they were basically asked what are you doing in this bar, you don't belong here. Not exactly a open to all business attitude.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
I'm saying these things due to two incidents friends have has where they were basically asked what are you doing in this bar, you don't belong here. Not exactly a open to all business attitude.
The owner is white, I've had white friends go in there as well. Never a problem. I don't doubt you, or what your friends experienced. I'm just saying there are some serious misconceptions about the 1132 Bar, and that some jerk giving your friends grief, does not reflect on everyone else that goes in there or the owner for that matter, or even Washington Park.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM

329 posts, read 700,052 times
Plenty of rage going on here especially pertaining to people saying I'm dead ass wrong, especially jmecklenborg, about what I saw and experienced at the park, I guess I just had a weird dream that was oddly realistic about going to Washington Park to take a look around.

But what really pisses me off is the comments about the 1132 bar and how shady it is. Yes, it is one of the last remaining properties the city hasn't been able to grab and gentrify and they constantly pester my friend giving him seemingly large offers in the millions for the bar alone with the lofts on top. The reason he still holds on to it is because him and his son are trying to renovate it (there is a ****load of vandalism in the area, they aren't excluded) to make the lofts function as apartments once again. Obviously, in the long run, owning the apartments and renting them to people with at least an average amount of money will rake in more profits.

All I was doing was sharing my observations and my observations were that this area is still on the edge of being still in the ****ter because of the close proximity to social services. I was just asking why it was like it was that day, and now I know why. No I'm not a shady guy for just having a friend who happens to own many old buildings in Cincinnati... no there aren't a bunch of sketchy people and crazy people hanging around the proximity of the park because of a single bar. That's like saying it's like that around a sports bar in Mason. I've learned it's because of the close social services and the homeless center in the area.Moderator cut: personal

Last edited by Yac; 07-30-2013 at 07:07 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
I've learned it's because of the close social services and the homeless center in the area.
The Drop Inn Center really needs to be relocated away from the park and away from SCPA. There are other areas better suited than being next to a school. On the other hand, The Drop Inn Center was there first, but it still needs to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati