Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:01 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Is it safe to assume from the tone of your post that you actually heard the guy proposition the girls? If so, nobody should be surprised when stuff like that happens in an area that homeless people are attracted to by locating their service providers nearby. And LET ME BE CLEAR, like you, I don't think all homeless people are criminals or pedophiles, but, like you, I believe the reason people are in that situation in some cases is because they have some kind of personality disorder or are criminals.
Read my post again, and then rethink your response. Where did I say they were all "criminals and pedophiles"? I said there was a reason that people were in the situation they were in. However, if I were to carry my point a bit further, it's to say that the behavior that the abject poor often engage in is so incompatible with the average respectable citizen, that it is rather unrealistic to assume that they can coexist without friction. People won't tolerate it for long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Pardon me, but....

If the guy was a homeless bum, from where would he have the $$ to pay the girls?

...Especially if he had in mind (if not habit) paying for alcohol or drugs....

(I think most police information would suggest it's not a good policy to not pay a drug dealer.)

Sorry to be posting such a difficult question.
Well, he asked for the sex act, who knows if he had any cash. The mother used the word "prostitute" to help the girls understand what had just happened.

Still, I don't want to cast a pall over what was shaping up to be an outstanding event. I don't have any fear of going down there with my family, and I think it's wonderful to see what's going on in OTR. I think events like I witnessed today are going to become less and less frequent, and I do believe the relocation of the Drop In Center will have a significant impact on that.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there was some talk of moving it to Queensgate, but as I recall many of the business owners cried foul in a classic case of NIMBY. There were accusations that the City had circumvented its own zoning laws to allow for the Drop In Center to be moved there. Unfortunately, I don't know what the outcome of all of that was. To be honest, I don't know what purpose the Drop In Center would have in Queensgate, because it's such an isolated area. Why or how would a homeless person even be in that part of town? To my knowledge, none of the indigent infrastructure exists in Queensgate, like what once existed in OTR. After all, aren't they using the fact that many of the social agencies in OTR have been closing up shop because of a declining need as a justification for moving the Drop In Center?

But, the flip side is, why would you drive a stake in the heart of one of the next inner ring residential areas with such an institution? Queensgate is as good as anyplace, when you look at it that way.

Last edited by t45209; 08-10-2013 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 04:36 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Read my post again, and then rethink your response. Where did I say they were all "criminals and pedophiles"? I said there was a reason that people were in the situation they were in. However, if I were to carry my point a bit further, it's to say that the behavior that the abject poor often engage in is so incompatible with the average respectable citizen, that it is rather unrealistic to assume that they can coexist without friction. People won't tolerate it for long.
I intended simply to agree with you, not to try to restate what you said. Apparently I could have worded my response better to get that point across. And I agree with what you wrote just now, too.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I intended simply to agree with you, not to try to restate what you said. Apparently I could have worded my response better to get that point across. And I agree with what you wrote just now, too.
Ah, I get it...you can sort of read it both ways. No worries.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:12 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
You should be the one who needs to read. Sarah said like you, I don't think all homeless people are criminals or pedophiles. So how did you twist that into the opposite? Sometimes we seem to see what we want to see instead of what is actually written.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
To be honest, I don't know what purpose the Drop In Center would have in Queensgate, because it's such an isolated area.
You just answered your own question.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Put it all in perspective.

Man in King
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati