Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
The price tag for that building was about $70 million. I don't think it's going to be discarded anytime soon.
I'm not suggesting discarding anything, particularly not something that had a sizable price tag. I don't know what all is there, but new stuff is sometimes easier to convert than old stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 02:30 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Apparently those involved in the decision making process didn't find an issue with the location. After all, the world is not a series of isolation bubbles.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:47 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Apparently those involved in the decision making process didn't find an issue with the location. After all, the world is not a series of isolation bubbles.
Actually, CPS worked with Drop Inn Center to iron out any concerns either party would have had. In fact, my kid went over there with his class and did a performance around Christmas Time. It's not like there is any tension between the two camps. I was merely expressing my concern that I felt it better relocated. And opinions are like...ya, I've got one too.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:42 PM

123 posts, read 138,604 times
I live about 2 blocks south of Washington Park, and I can say if an event is going on its not a bad place. But if you go even one block north of it, it becomes rough pretty quick until you get to Finley Market, which even is in a rough area, from my observations. I live right next to Piatt Park and I love the area. Definitely feels safe and always business and working class people on the streets.

But I have to agree with the OP in terms of there is still plenty of roughness going on around the park. I will give tons of credit to 3CDC, love what they are doing. I have workers that pick up trash around my building and there are always security or even cops patrolling. If 3CDC can keep their funding going and keep buying property in OTR it's going to be an amazing area in quite a few years, not that it already isn't.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
Monday, I had to go down to the Recorders office with a deed. I was accompanied by two people not used to the urban environment. As we left we took Court and went up Vine we were approached by an addict who looked like he had just got out of jail that morning. He approached with some sob panhandling story I've heard a million time before and I told him he was wasting his time.

He "invaded" our space , got increasingly belligerent and finally I had to turn , face him, let him see my 9 mm, and advise I had a permit to carry and would put him to the ground and sit on him until the police came... he immediately backed off., using every profanmity as he skulked away.

I can tell you having lived in Indy, Louisville KY, Charleston SC and several other major cities I have never been agressively approached by pan handlers.....Why?...because the police don't tolerate it. Cincinnati with its 'sanctuary city" mentality fosters the bad behavior and the police have been constrained by doing thier job after the riots, lest we 'offend' anyone.

This city "could" have a convention business and a real downtown if they would do the hard work and get these people out of here. If you want the city and OTR to be sucessful you have to make some tough decisions and frankly we are so "PC" our council is afraid to do anything, lest we upset the poverty pushers.

3CDC is doing a great job but the Police need to have the tools, (and support), to clean the trash out of the community.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattolson View Post
I live about 2 blocks south of Washington Park, and I can say if an event is going on its not a bad place. But if you go even one block north of it, it becomes rough pretty quick until you get to Finley Market, which even is in a rough area, from my observations.
Finley Market, huh?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattolson View Post
I live about 2 blocks south of Washington Park....
Let's see. According to your CD profile, you moved to Long Island (Garden City) from Boston in 2012, claiming to be a young professional. Then in 1/13 you wanted to know about moving from Boston to Minneapolis to work in the Mall of America. Then in 5/13 you were moving from NYC/Boston to Cincy to work at Kenwood Mall.

Then on 6/13 you stated that "If one more annoying Tayvon Martin protest comes by my apartment I'm going to lose it. I get freedom of speech but please shut up, you're annoying."

You have quite a career as a modern day professional mall worker. I would love to learn more about what you do, and what exactly you are doing in Cincy. Do you take the train to Kenwood Mall?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
He "invaded" our space , got increasingly belligerent and finally I had to turn , face him, let him see my 9 mm, and advise I had a permit to carry and would put him to the ground and sit on him until the police came... he immediately backed off., using every profanmity as he skulked away
Are you kidding me? You first brandished your firearm, threatened a pan-handler, and then ignored your duty to retreat? Cops would have rightfully arrested you for you blatant disregard for the law that stipulated your responsibilities as a concealed carry permit holder in the state of Ohio. You are a disgrace to CCW. Drop the tough guy act, before you run into one.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Are you kidding me? You first brandished your firearm, threatened a pan-handler, and then ignored your duty to retreat? Cops would have rightfully arrested you for you blatant disregard for the law that stipulated your responsibilities as a concealed carry permit holder in the state of Ohio. You are a disgrace to CCW. Drop the tough guy act, before you run into one.
Wrong, when he approached the elderly lady with me screaming and yelling because we would not give him money, I was not letting this 'strung out' person, any more access to my friends. I've had a carry permit for 20 years in various states I've lived and NEVER felt the need, until this incident. FYI before I got involved in historic preservation, I was an attorney practicing in the federal appellate court system (retired in 2000). Do not lecture me, regarding the legal use of a weapon and when defense is appropriate. "Duty to retreat" is part of the PC correctness , fostered by Eric Holder (a disgrace to the legal profession) who should be out of job for contempt of congress anyway, that has ruined this country by his failure to enforce the laws he is sworn to uphold.

When you have someone, obviously under the influence of an intoxicant, approach you in an adversarial manner and verbally threaten people who are essentially defenseless, I "diffused" the situation by advising him I was legally carrying a weapon ( I did not let it leave the holster) and advised him he needed to leave. I have zero intention of him getting within 6 inches of a 5 ft 4 inch tall 62 year old women, when this guy was 6'2 and 190 Lbs. The fact that people like this are out in public at 10:30 in the morning is inexcusable and I did report the incident to the police.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Heading for the fridge to grab a beer and wait for the next installment of " Battle of the 2nd-Amendment-Misconstruing More-Red-State-Than-Thou Types."

Also eagerly awaiting an explanation from our often-relocating yuppie as to how exactly he can live both "two blocks south of Washington Park" and "right next to Piatt Park." Maybe one of the places is his weekend retreat? Or perhaps he stores his artisan cheeses from "Finley" Market at the one farther north and keeps it as a party space, in between pick-up/delivery of his laundry and amidst those oh-so-aggravating "Tayvon" Martin protests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati