Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Bhiggins...

You just don't understand the urban scene and what you should accept as normal behavior. Neither do I.

I hope if you move back to Cincy you end up on the far west side in an environment you can relate to. You know, that boring cul-de-sac neighborhood where all the soccer moms congregate. Where grilling out on the back patio or deck is the highlight of the week. Where the kids just go to school without having to camp out for a week trying to get into some specialty school. We are just not cut out for the urban scene, we like our peace and tranquility too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
I find OP's story suspect.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
You just don't understand the urban scene and what you should accept as normal behavior. Neither do I.
I wouldn't expect you to relate to the homeless, or poor/working class AA people that still call OTR home, and have no access to the suburbs. You have yourself sequestered away just fine. That's really the issue the OP was making. They didn't feel comfortable with people who were different from them. You know, the less fortunate, poor, homeless. I'm sure you can relate, as you already stated.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM

307 posts, read 543,824 times
I mean if your stopping by the 1132 bar I don't find this totally surprising. And if this is the place your friend owns perhaps you need better friends.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 AM

172 posts, read 254,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
I'm currently in town until this coming Tuesday with my family, currently staying at a hotel in Deerfield.

Today (7/28/13) I decided to go off on my own and just drive through the actual city around 4 PM, and see how things have changed since I left. I was going south on 75 and got off at the Ezzard Charles exit and headed straight for the heart of OTR. My actual intentions were to drive past one of my friend's bars on 12th. On my way, I passed Washington Park and was stopped at the light at 12th and Elm. I (dangerously) parked my car on 12th in front of his bar and decided to have a walk around.

Now please don't bash the hell out of me OTR freaks, but this place seems to be a ****hole when there isn't any events happening in the city. There were homeless people everywhere around the park and I was approached and asked for drugs by an obviously insane man.

What happened? Or has it just always been like that since the major renovations? This place is just scary! And the immediate area around it that I always hear being hyped and positively ranted about was no different.

Anyone want to explain, support, or rage at me about what I saw?

OP.......what bar are you referring to? Your details are a little messed up. If you got off at Ezzard Charles and were driving east on 12th you would first reach Elm St. and then pass Washington Park to a traffic light at Race St. Did you park in front of the 1132 Bar? Does your friend own that place?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
I mean if your stopping by the 1132 bar I don't find this totally surprising. And if this is the place your friend owns perhaps you need better friends.
^^^^^
Exactly.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
I have a good friend that goes to the 1132 Bar. What do you guys have against it, other than it's a black bar/greasy spoon? I understand they actually have a decent breakfast there. I've never seen any trouble coming from there. They also close early in the afternoon, so it's not like it's a late night bar.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I have a good friend that goes to the 1132 Bar. What do you guys have against it, other than it's a black bar/greasy spoon? I understand they actually have a decent breakfast there. I've never seen any trouble coming from there. They also close early in the afternoon, so it's not like it's a late night bar.
I'll take your word for it....never been inside actually.....but it just always seems like there are plenty of people doing nothing more than standing around on the sidewalk outside when I've been in the area. It doesn't keep me from coming to OTR for food & drink a couple times per month or more.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 AM

307 posts, read 543,824 times
Since its only open when the drop inn center is closed it can be a pretty lively corner at night as they close quite early. Also when one has a bar that they won't keep open once the homeless shelter reopens I'm assuming they aren't interested in serving other folks.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
Since its only open when the drop inn center is closed it can be a pretty lively corner at night as they close quite early. Also when one has a bar that they won't keep open once the homeless shelter reopens I'm assuming they aren't interested in serving other folks.
This is the place sort of around the corner from SCPA, right? If so, I don't really understand the point of your posting, but my husband knows the guy who owns that bar. It's a respectable place, and as TomJones said, reputed to serve pretty good food. As far as I know, he closes up at night because he prefers to avoid the standard issues/problems that can arise after dark in that kind of neighborhood, and because he does enough business in the daytime. I have the impression he goes more after the older, drink-in-the-afternoon retired/unemployed crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati