Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 AM

10 posts, read 20,354 times

Advertisements

I will be living in northern Kentucky (Hebron) and I will be commuting to Oxford. What kind of commute will I be looking at and what might be the easiest way to go?

I will be relocating from Texas so I am not too familiar with the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
With no traffic at all, you are looking at an hour commute.

I think the only way to go is I-275 to US-27. The traffic on Colerain Ave (US-27 near I-275) can be pretty bad sometimes. On a busy day, the commute could be 90+ minutes. I don't think that living in Hebron and commuting to Oxford is a long term workable plan.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post

I think the only way to go is I-275 to US-27. The traffic on Colerain Ave (US-27 near I-275) can be pretty bad sometimes. On a busy day, the commute could be 90+ minutes. I don't think that living in Hebron and commuting to Oxford is a long term workable plan.
I totally agree. My youngest daughter decided to enroll at Miami, board with her brother in Mt Airy, and travel up Colerain Ave. to US-27 to Miami. After the first year the only thing she wanted was to get out of there, so she switched to UK in Lexington and we supported her living there. Long term living in Hebron and attending Miami is just not pleasant. Maybe you should investigate what NKU has in your major.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 AM

10 posts, read 20,354 times
I am going for a job and my wife will be teaching in Boone County. I would prefer to live in NKY because of higher taxes in Ohio (at least that is what I have been told). Thanks for the help.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbball14 View Post
I am going for a job and my wife will be teaching in Boone County. I would prefer to live in NKY because of higher taxes in Ohio (at least that is what I have been told). Thanks for the help.
If that is the case, I might be looking more towards the western side of Hamilton Co. Get somewhere where you can shoot across I-275 to US-27 and then to Oxford. Even something around Lawrencebug may be desirable. It might place a little more of the onus on your wife's commute to Boone County, but fair is fair - right?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Move closer.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Move closer.
What do you consider closer? The OP says he will be working at Miami University and his wife as a teacher in Boone County. I consider that a challenge. Does closer mean locate on US-27 (Colerain Ave.) and fight that mess out to Oxford while the wife fights the same mess to Boone County? I don't quite understand. The obvious solution to me is one of them needs to get a new job, closer to the other and offering reasonable options for living choices.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
What do you consider closer? The OP says he will be working at Miami University and his wife as a teacher in Boone County. I consider that a challenge. Does closer mean locate on US-27 (Colerain Ave.) and fight that mess out to Oxford while the wife fights the same mess to Boone County? I don't quite understand. The obvious solution to me is one of them needs to get a new job, closer to the other and offering reasonable options for living choices.
I agree this is a commuting nightmare--the OP and his wife have basically taken jobs that would be as far apart in time and distance as many entirely different CITIES. They could probably have a faster, less hassle-filled commute to Georgetown, Ky. or the north side of Lexington than to Oxford.

That said, I think based on prior postings that these ARE new jobs.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Where in Boone County would your wife be working? If it is near Hebron or even Burlington, I would look at Harrison, OH. Shoot up California Rd. to Sample/Oxford-Reily Rd. Most of these roads are back roads (even US27), so winter driving may be difficult with snow.

Heck, even if she was working in Florance, KY, it may be worth looking into. There are options in Ohio, and while taxes may be higher, the cost in quality of life for living in NKY may not be worth the savings. As was mentioned earlier, perhaps Lawrenceburg, IN?

Of course, depending on who has a more flexible job and career, moving one closer to the other is also highly desirable.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post

Hey somebody with reasoning. As you will see I am totally aganst this. I don't know where the two of them are coming from, but someone has to give. Commuting between Hebron and Oxford is like asking for a daily whipping. I don't know who has the strongest job, but they need to compromise for one of them to get within a reasonable distance of the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati