Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times

Advertisements

Both Cincinnati and Detroit, are lucky to both have one of the original "public ivies" within a commutable distance from a nearby big city.

Cincinnati: Miami U in Oxford about 30 miles away
Detroit: U of M in Ann Arbor about 40 miles away.

But heres where there is a major difference.

While both schools are top notch, U of Michigan is simply much larger to the point where it attracts students from far beyond the midwest it seems, again mostly due to the fact that it is far larger and therefore more diverse programs.

Its to the point that Ann Arbor doesn't seem to need metro Detroit as much as public universities in other states. Over the past decade, while the 3 county Detroit metro area decline in population, Washtenaw county (Ann Arbor) increased.

Howeverm would you say that Oxford/Miami depends or needs greater Cincinnati a lot more because of its size?

Plus metro Detroit might have a slight edge on options of 4 year colleges within 15 miles of downtown (Wayne State, U of M Dearborn, Lawrence Tech, U Detroit-Mercy) over Cincinnati (U of Cincy and Xavier) , and this might lead to a tighter relationship between city and college town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 12:56 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,490,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Howeverm would you say that Oxford/Miami depends or needs greater Cincinnati a lot more because of its size?

Plus metro Detroit might have a slight edge on options of 4 year colleges within 15 miles of downtown (Wayne State, U of M Dearborn, Lawrence Tech, U Detroit-Mercy) over Cincinnati (U of Cincy and Xavier) , and this might lead to a tighter relationship between city and college town?
No, Miami draws from everywhere. Miami has no real connection to Cincinnati compared to the other schools below.

I'm a little confused. Isn't University of Mich Ann Arbor the main campus of U of M? Seems like it would be more like Ohio State or University of Cincinnati than Miami of Ohio.

As for the schools nearby, you forgot NKU, Thomas More, and Mt. St. Joe.

Last edited by Wilson513; 03-05-2011 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 01:47 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,545,325 times
As a Miami grad, I would say there is no dependency. I don't understand the premise of your question either. Miami's proximity to Cincinnati is incidental at best. A few Miami student functions are held in Cincinnati, and there are a lot of Cincinnati-area students. However, there are just as many Cincinnati kids who choose not to go there because it's too close to home.

Besides, Miami was established in 1809 when Cincinnati was barely more than a sandy beach and a run down fort on the Ohio. Oxford was a long way from Cincinnati back then, and I never got the impression that the town or the school really associated that closely with Cincinnati even today. UC and Miami still play each other in football, as supposedly one of the oldest college rivalries in the country, but the two programs have diverged to the point that it's a tradition that some say has outlived its time.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:06 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,816,010 times
A big resounding NO - Miami is not connected to Cincinnati via some umbilical cord! Miami is Miami and stands on its own - a very nice school in the traditional college town of Oxford. I would calculate the atmosphere to be distinctly different from U of M. In addition to the already mentioned University of Cincinnati, Xavier, Mt. St. Joseph, Northern Kentucky University and Thomas More there are the University of Dayton and Wright State University in Dayton Ohio. Oxford is about mid-way between Cincy and Dayton. If anything, Cincy local area residents have a lot of options other than Miami.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Thanks for the responses. I was just curious.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 AM

120 posts, read 259,330 times
The only thing Miami depends on from Cincinnati is entertainment and shopping options for their students. Oxford is a very small town. I lived directly south of Oxford in the Colerain area (30 min drive) and I often see Miami students shopping at our Target. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati