Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times

Advertisements

Depending on where in Cincinnati you're commuting to/from, Oxford is completely reasonable. Don't let anyone scare you away. Northern Kentucky is a bit of a stretch, and I would recommend looking for a place closer to NW Cincinnati (Fairfield, West Chester, even Colerain or Westwood). Taxes aren't really an issue. Of course winter is the wild card, but that's to be expected. And it's not exactly like we live in Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. If you understand the situation, I wouldn't hesitate. Do what makes you happy and is best for you and your wife. Where do you live now?

People in the Denver metro don't blink an eye at a 90-minute commute in order to live in a cabin up in the mountains. And in NYC, an hour commute is a luxury.

It's all relative. Welcome to Cincinnati!

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-20-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
My son lives in Hamilton (Approximately 10 miles from Oxford) and works at an office in Newport KY. Not what he likes as an ideal situation but he has done it for over a year and a half now. You do what you need to do when it's what you have to work with. Snow hasn't bothered him too much as he grew up in an area where snow was a common occurrence in the winter,

Some have recommended looking for a different job to make the commute easier. Many times that is easier than it sounds. My son has a degree and 10+ years experience in that field but is working in IT right now because that is what he could find when his company downsized.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
What do you consider closer? The OP says he will be working at Miami University and his wife as a teacher in Boone County. I consider that a challenge. Does closer mean locate on US-27 (Colerain Ave.) and fight that mess out to Oxford while the wife fights the same mess to Boone County? I don't quite understand. The obvious solution to me is one of them needs to get a new job, closer to the other and offering reasonable options for living choices.
He has obviously made a big mistake in the plan. And, it is based on a fallacy about taxes.

Of course, it is the wife who will only be working 180 days a year or less and so the location should be centered toward Oxford, not Ky. She will be going against traffic he will be stuck in it. Hidden Valley would be my recommendation.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 AM

364 posts, read 715,975 times
Ouch! Commuting from NKY to Oxford; definitely not a commute I would want to make on a regular basis. I think it would not take long for you to grow weary from that commute.

Pretty much what Wilson said is what I would recommend....

Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
He has obviously made a big mistake in the plan. And, it is based on a fallacy about taxes.

Of course, it is the wife who will only be working 180 days a year or less and so the location should be centered toward Oxford, not Ky. She will be going against traffic he will be stuck in it. Hidden Valley would be my recommendation.
Wilson, I'm just curious, does some kind of formula exist for actually comparing total tax burden? I know for a fact that I pay a lot more in property tax in Hamilton County than I would across the river, but I like to fantasize that the difference may be offset in terms of state income tax, or something. Thus my question.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:29 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Wilson, I'm just curious, does some kind of formula exist for actually comparing total tax burden? I know for a fact that I pay a lot more in property tax in Hamilton County than I would across the river, but I like to fantasize that the difference may be offset in terms of state income tax, or something. Thus my question.
Of course this is enormously complex because of the many variables, but no clear thinking person would choose where they live over a few hundred dollars of tax differential which all there is from one midestern state to another.

Perhaps the graphics in this will help (I couldn't seem to link it, but if you search for this pdf document it has state by state comparisons):

REPORT TO THE
SUB-COMMITTEE ON TAX POLICY ISSUES
COMMITTEE ON APPROPRIATIONS AND REVENUE
KENTUCKY GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati