Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times

Advertisements

I see that the mileage listed for the automatic 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport is 15 city/19 hwy.
What I can't find is the size of the gas tank.
In other words:
How many miles will a full tank of gas get with all highway driving?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
IIRC that tank is about 18 gallons, US.

If you have a canvas top, do yourself a favor and don't drive it far enough on a super highway to find out the highway mileage.

Great little vehicle for jaunts around town.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
IIRC that tank is about 18 gallons, US.

If you have a canvas top, do yourself a favor and don't drive it far enough on a super highway to find out the highway mileage.

Great little vehicle for jaunts around town.
The one I am looking at has the canvas top - My driving consists of 90 miles round trip every day on nothing but highway - would this be a bad choice for a vehicle?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
The one I am looking at has the canvas top - My driving consists of 90 miles round trip every day on nothing but highway - would this be a bad choice for a vehicle?

That is a significant commute.... Have you driven a canvas top before? They don't keep sound out very well, guess it depends on your tolerance levels. A Wrangler would be the absolute last thing I would think of for a highway cruiser.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
That is a significant commute.... Have you driven a canvas top before? They don't keep sound out very well, guess it depends on your tolerance levels. A Wrangler would be the absolute last thing I would think of for a highway cruiser.
Never had one - thanks for the "heads-up" - yes - the commute is 45 miles each way - doing it now in a 2006 VW Beetle - nice little car - but a little too low to the ground - can't see ahead to which lane has the accident. Thought this might be better.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:26 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
A Wrangler is suited for one thing--severe backcountry use in 4WD. Anyone that drives one on the highway if they don't also need it for backcountry use is foolish.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
A Wrangler is suited for one thing--severe backcountry use in 4WD. Anyone that drives one on the highway if they don't also need it for backcountry use is foolish.
Always good to know that looks are not everything - I will stick with the VW for now. I appreciate people taking time to educate me

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:01 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Don't let a couple people turn you off of a Wrangler, just because it doesn't meet their expectations for highway use.

I used to own and daily drive a 2002 TJ. They are right in some of their criticisms. It is not quiet on the highway. The canvas top (well, to some extent the fiberglass one too... I had both) do not insulate the car from outside noise like a normal car is. You hear everything like the car is open. It is part of the experience. On the highway, this means more tire noise, more wind noise (especially with the canvas top, as it will flap a little) etc.

However, it's not excruciating either. I drove my TJ as much as 8 hours in a row on highway trips. It isn't a Cadillac on the highway in many ways, but it wasn't torturous either.

For your daily commute, I think my biggest concern would be fuel costs. It will suck gas. That said, if you love Wranglers, and want one, at least give it a shot. See if you can rent one, or get one for a week from the dealer to test out on your commute and guage it's noise, behavior, etc.

It can be a lot of fun away from your commute. Anything from top down cruise, to some off road fun!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Using a Wrangler as a commuter car makes about as much sense as using a Prius for 4-wheeling--wrong tool for the job. And that is what a vehicle is--a tool for a job.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:22 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Using a Wrangler as a commuter car makes about as much sense as using a Prius for 4-wheeling--wrong tool for the job. And that is what a vehicle is--a tool for a job.
Right.... car enthusiasts always buy the most basic, most practical vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram