Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,191 times

Advertisements

See these turbo kits that can be added to these cars, thought it'd be a fun little project for son and me on my 81k miler (daily driver).........for fun mostly.

Has anyone done this; comments and tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 04:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
are you thinking of the SRT4 2.4 liter turbo Neons made during 2003-2004?

Not sure dodge had any factory Neon turbo 2.0 liter motors...

I would be worried about the internals being able to take the extra boost the turbo will put on the motor. unless you plan to build the motor up to take the extra strain of the turbo then you should be ok.

anyways good luck and let us know how the Build goes

Old 12-28-2011, 05:09 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
I’d be very reluctant to start playing around with turbo kits on a daily driver economy car, but that’s me. There are some really nice kits out there, but I still would not do it.

I think a better bang for the buck would be some suspension upgrades and go autocrossing or performance driving events.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:11 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
Adding a turbo to an 81K basic economy car is not a good idea. Can you say BOOM?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
What kit and what company?

I know HAHN Racecraft made some for Neons, not sure if they still have them for your application though.

Do a compression and leakdown test to make sure you have a healthy motor, then go for it. Stay under 10psi though - or whatever the kit manufacturer says is the limit.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Have same concerns I guess, of reliabity in such a broke in daily car. Turbochargerpros.com.......just poked 'round there to see that theey had kits for 2.0's. P/T cruiser and Neon.

I don't drive this car harsh at all, thought it'd be a fun little gizmo job for my 16 year old and I to attempt.

This car's the best I've ever owned, sure wish hadn't stop making it!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'toasquarestate View Post
This car's the best I've ever owned, sure wish hadn't stop making it!
You've been lucky. Many Neons are long dead.

There is a lot more to consider than the engine here. Your 80K transmission is likely to give it up when you start feeding it more power...

Old 12-28-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
What kit and what company?

I know HAHN Racecraft made some for Neons, not sure if they still have them for your application though.

Do a compression and leakdown test to make sure you have a healthy motor, then go for it. Stay under 10psi though - or whatever the kit manufacturer says is the limit.
Thanks for that info. for if I pull the trigger on the attempt. Suppose i'd not see any gains in fuel miles from it, car's paid for and would like to give it a bit more spirit w/o alot of sacrifice......... so I'd sure have a local performance mech. here look at it before!

Thanks again.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'toasquarestate View Post
Have same concerns I guess, of reliabity in such a broke in daily car. Turbochargerpros.com.......just poked 'round there to see that theey had kits for 2.0's. P/T cruiser and Neon.
I've never heard of them, but I did look around their site and I could not find the kit. Can you provide a link so I can take a look? I did find install kits for factory turbo Dodge applications, but not turbo kits that provide everything you need to turn a stock n/a car into a turbo car. Kits like that generally run ~$3000 or more. What I saw was just refurb'd turbo and manifold combos for putting a turbo back on a SRT-4 or GT cruiser which came from the factory turbocharged.

Is the car manual or auto?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
You've been lucky. Many Neons are long dead.

There is a lot more to consider than the engine here. Your 80K transmission is likely to give it up when you start feeding it more power...
Understand,

Have considered this turbo add-on in conjunction with the motor rebuild(dont know when that's to happen, cause this car's doing great!).....perhaps that's the wisest resolution.

But I do wanna' tinker with the car at times till then, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram