Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:39 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
But wasn't that whole concept just a big misunderstanding by an eastern heathen named Mahatma Gandhi? Or was Isaiah before him?

It can be very humbling when that happens.
Humbling... and painful! Sorta like burning...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 03:32 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,647,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Humbling... and painful! Sorta like burning...
The flames lick at the impurities in my soul.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,910,319 times
Quote:
Anyway... now do you see why we went on a "pottery for dummies" type tangent?
I can see it as a deliberate attempt to change the topic and distract the conversation. Well, you people can talk about pottery if you wish, while I look for another topic.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Rom 9:27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:
Only a 'remnant'. hmmm...

Old 06-10-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
UM.. no.. here is the passage in context:
12 Therefore, this is what the Holy One of Israel says:
“Because you have rejected this message,
relied on oppression
and depended on deceit,
13 this sin will become for you
like a high wall, cracked and bulging,
that collapses suddenly, in an instant.
14 It will break in pieces like pottery,
shattered so mercilessly
that among its pieces not a fragment will be found
for taking coals from a hearth
or scooping water out of a cistern.”

THIS SIN is the subject and IT is THIS SIN. Not the sinner but the sin itself.

Their faithlessness is apparent but yet it is the sin that will become for them broken and mercilessly shattered so that not even a fragment of the sin will be found.
If you read the OT you'll learn that in those times, it included the destruction of the sinner too. How many times did God punish Israel by the destruction of thousands and tens of thousands Jews. Many, many times.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I can see it as a deliberate attempt to change the topic and distract the conversation. Well, you people can talk about pottery if you wish, while I look for another topic.
Didn't you just say you brought it up in the first place?

And then you brought it up again?

It isn't a distraction....unless of course you are creating the distraction as you admit you brought it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber
Let me help you with the next verse, since it 'fell off' your quote:

22 What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction?

He destroyed the entire army, thousands of people, only so he could display his power.

It was me who brought up the potter verse. It demonstrates God's soveirgnity. Some pots are made for noble use (like Jacob) and some are just tools, and prepared for destruction (Pharaoh's army). Every soldier in Pharaoh's army were prepared for destruction.
What's up Finn? Are you forgetful or trying to derail a perfectly good conversation?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
If you read the OT you'll learn that in those times, it included the destruction of the sinner too. How many times did God punish Israel by the destruction of thousands and tens of thousands Jews. Many, many times.
You can say that if you wish... you can believe that if you wish... However the passage specifically states that the sin is utterly destroyed.

Most Fundies will agree that Christ overcame sin and utterly destroyed it's effect on humans. Don't you also see that?

Most say that people are not in hell for their sin but their unbelief.

What do you believe?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Didn't you just say you brought it up in the first place?

And then you brought it up again?
Are you serious? Do you seriosuly not understand what I meant? Well, thanks for proving my point about deliberatly distracting the conversation.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,243,041 times
Quote:
Only a 'remnant'. hmmm...
That "remnant" is the first fruits...

Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
You can say that if you wish... you can believe that if you wish... However the passage specifically states that the sin is utterly destroyed.
OK, well, that great then, because I could have sworn that there was still some sin left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity