Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,559,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Now, how does one retain this salvation? Obedience. If you fall back into sin, then you will lose your salvation.
So much for grace.

So, if I read you correctly we walk in and out of salvation on a daily or hourly basis.

What if I use the Lord's name in vain and the F word as I see this huge truck drift into my lane and then I get killed? Do I go to hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 04:05 PM

33,311 posts, read 26,506,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Whether under the law or under grace, God's requirement for obedience has not changed. The message is the same as it was from the very beginning in the Garden of Eden: the soul that sins will die.

Ezek.33
[13] When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.
[14] Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right;
[15] If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.
[16] None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.
In the dispensation of Israel, when an Israelite committed willful sin, he was cut off from his people. He was executed. This is physical death. Not a loss of eternal salvation.

God placed Adam in the garden and gave him a test for his volition. He gave a command to Adam to not eat of one tree. God had always known that Adam would fail the test and so God provided a plan of salvation for fallen mankind. Adam's relationship with God before the fall depended on obeying the one prohibition that God had placed on him. Adam's point of contact with God before the fall was divine love. But God's love could not guarantee that man would not fall. When Adam did fall, this set the next phase of God's plan into action. God immediately promised that a Savior would come into the world as per Genesis 3:15.

Faith in the promised Messiah resulted in salvation just as it does for us after the Cross. As a result of believing in Christ for salvation the believer is eternally secure. He cannot lose his salvation as a result of sin. After the fall, man's point of contact switched from divine love to divine justice. The justice of God guarantees the eternal security of the believer.

There was no need for salvation until Adam sinned. When he did sin, God provided a way to bring man back into an eternal relationship with Him based on the work of Christ on the Cross and that depended only on one initial act of faith in Christ in order to receive that offer of salvation. And having trusted in Christ for salvation, God guaranteed the eternal security of that believer.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,950,688 times
Grace is not a license to sin.

Rom.6
[1] What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
[2] God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

People have used grace to do away with holiness and to justify their sinning. It won't work. God's standard is holiness; it always has been, and it always will be. God will hold people accountable for doing this. There's no doubt that satan is behind it.

2 Cor.11
[13] For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
[14] And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
[15] Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Adam & Eve were placed in the Garden of Eden to have lived forever, so long as they lived free from sin; it was a conditional promise. It was God's intention for them to have always enjoyed His communion, fellowship, love and perfection. They had no need for salvation, just like God's holy angels. Why? Because they were holy, not defiled with sin of any kind.

Adam & Eve had freewill, just like we do today. We can choose to be obedient in the Lord, or walk with satan in sin. We will only remain saved so long as we are obedient to the Lord. Mark 9:43-48 makes it very clear that sin will send a person to hell fire, whether they profess Jesus as Lord or not. It is written. You can spin, twist and/or use semantics with the Word, but you can't change God's meaning that we will all be judged by. You will hear: depart from me, ye that work iniquity

2 Timothy 2:19 - ...Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

I am telling the truth, which is tough love, because I love people and want them to live forever.

Last edited by scgraham; 05-03-2010 at 07:39 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,986,613 times
Peter never taught the people that if they repent they would save themselves from hell.

Act 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Saved from what? Hell? no but from this generation:

Act 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,114,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
- You don't earn your salvation and you don't maintain your salvation through ANYTHING you do or refrain from doing.

- Salvation is the work of God and is received by one initial act of faith.
Mike, you contradicted yourself. "An act" is something "you do." Which of your two statements do you really believe?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,539,131 times
Why do people think that because you can call on the lord and be saved, it automatically excludes those who don't call? Where does it say that??

Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,662 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: editedReaders may refer back to post #8.
Mike...refer back to YOUR OP...Moderator cut: personal and insulting

"...Well intentioned ministers of God will often use this phrase "...to call upon the Name of the Lord)..." to support their contention that a person is saved by saying a prayer, often referred to as the “sinner’s prayer.” And even if these ministers don’t intend on conveying that “a prayer is the vehicle that saves” a person, this is the meaning that may often be understood by the person who is lost. The danger then is that the lost person may believe it is his expression of prayer to God that saves him, rather than a fundamental decision of faith in Jesus Christ... "....

......hummmm...must NOT be the prayer...

"...When this is the case, a person’s faith is displaced from Christ to one’s own effort in prayer; thereby making salvation an acquisition by “works”—an act that can save no one. Yet, it is not wrong to encourage a lost person to express his faith in Christ in an expression of prayer, as long as he clearly understands that salvation (righteousness) comes from his decision of faith in Christ and His sacrifice, which is made in his heart (an expression meaning a genuine and willful decision) prior to saying the prayer... "....

......hummmm...must NOT be just saying a prayer...or "saying" you believe...

"...“an expression of faith "...the call upon the Lord..." made within one’s will and focused in a particular direction.”

......hummmm...made within one's will?...and focused in a particular direction?...sounds like some kind of CHANGE is to take place here..within one's character...?

"...These acts of calling upon the Lord were not mere acts of prayer; they were acts of faith, by which men expressed their genuine confidence (trust) in God as they came to Him in recognition and worship."

......hummmm...acts of faith?......I wonder what those acts are...?

"...In Acts 2, the Apostle Peter makes it clear what it means to call upon the name of the Lord, by equating it with repentance in verse 38. The meaning of repentance in the New Testament is an act of “changing one’s mind or direction. It is not penance (sorrow) for one’s sins. In verse 38 the term repentance is the equivalent to placing one’s genuine faith in Jesus Christ, because it is only by placing one’s total confidence (trust) in Jesus Christ, which >>>act<<< INCLUDES! the turning from any other confidence (works, religion, other persons), that a person can be saved (Ephesians 2:8, 9).

......hummmm...turning from...?...turning FROM...

Look...it is quite obvious WHO IS THE ONE HERE WHO is guilty of what HE accuses others of when HE states THEY..."...will not open your eyes to the truth then remain in ignorance..."

Moderator cut: attacking...I have a suggestion for you...(It comes from Paul in Galatians 1:6...I got it from someone else, Mike, who was pointing a finger and accusing other's of what HE was guilty of HIMSELF)...,

I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7) which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you, and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8) but even though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we have preached to you, let him be accursed. 9) As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to that which you received, let him be accursed.

People such as yourself (MIKE) come in behind the Gospel of grace that teaches a "works" based in faith and trust IN Christ's sacrifice, and obedience in the Ten Commandments based salvation. That teaches that anything you do or don't do prior to receiving your salvation can and DOES effect your eternal salvation. You receive your salvation through WORKING IT OUT THROUGH FEAR AND TREMBLING...!!!!

Moderator cut: attacking Christ already paid the penalty for any (PAST!) sin that you ever committed. God does not condemn a person for a sin that has already been paid for. Hebrews 10:10 By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. 11) And every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins; 12) but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, SAT DOWN AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD, 13) waiting from that time onward until HIS ENEMIES<<--(Those who do not obey His Ten Commandments!) BE MADE A FOOTSTOOL FOR HIS FEET.14) For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.

The believer is justified at the moment of faith in Christ, having been proclaimed as such by God the Father who has at that point of faith in Christ imputed HIS VERY OWN PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS to that believer. No matter what sins the believer (HAS) committed (in the past!)
Moderator cut: insilting and flamingSalvation is by grace alone, through faith alone in Christ alone to the believer who WORKS out his salvation through fear and trembling...unto becoming born again...and truly repentant...ONCE AND FOR ALL TIME!!!

Those who are reading this and are confused about the eternal security of the believer and would genuinely like to know the truth of the matter, get yourself into the Gospel of Jesus Christ...the ENTIRE Bible and STUDY IT!Moderator cut: insulting and flaming

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-03-2010 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM

33,311 posts, read 26,506,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Mike, you contradicted yourself. "An act" is something "you do." Which of your two statements do you really believe?
No I have not. Faith is not a work.

Ephesians. 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9) not as a result of works, that no one should boast.

Exercising faith in Christ for the purpose of salvation is placing your trust, your confidence in Christ to provide that salvation. It is the exact opposite of works as declared by the word of God.

John 6:28 They said therefore to Him, ''What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?'' 29) Jesus answered and said to them. ''This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.'' Jesus in answering their question did a play on words. The disciples asked what WORKS they must do. Jesus replied and told them that the work of God is to BELIEVE in Him (in Jesus Christ). In other words faith as opposed to works.

Works are something you do for salvation and is legalism. It is depending on yourself for salvation. It is the exact opposite of placing your confidence in Christ for salvation. An act of faith is not works, it is a decision on your part to place your trust in Christ to provide salvation.

The word of God states many many times to 'believe' and to have 'faith' in Christ in order to be saved.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,336,631 times
I love Acts 2:21 and I act upon it especially in times of great duress. Thank u Mike555 for the Bible lesson. I found it useful.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,950,688 times
Quote:
No I have not. Faith is not a work.
Heb. 11
[6] But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
[7] By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

Salvation brings forth obedience, which leads to holiness. You may call that work, but it's our reasonable service; and it's all Jesus' works, not our's.

Rom.12
[1] I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
[2] And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
[3] For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity