Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,040,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Insane, I know you are knowledgable about history and you have read the Bible but clearly you cannot grasp the truth. I know you try yet you resist and I shall pray for you to understand as well as others.
Why thanks Robin. I could use some money too. That's a little more important right now. Can you ask god to help a brother out. HE doesn't listen to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:14 PM

4,212 posts, read 5,859,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Why thanks Robin. I could use some money too. That's a little more important right now. Can you ask god to help a brother out. HE doesn't listen to me.
Money? Where? Oh, funny, LOL. You made a funny, congrats. I will see what I can do, don't hold your breath but I will pray.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
There is no irony. Every new problem we have is dealt with laws, we now have pedophile laws to deal with this growing sin in our culture, no different to what Jefferson did to implement the "separation of church and state" to combat that corrupt non-biblical approach to establishing a church. MY argument is that the separation of church and state we see today IS NOT what Jefferson intended in that letter. Even Jefferson recognized God's authority was better than man's

Fundamentalist, your statement "Even Jefferson recognized God's authority was better than man's" do not naturally assume that this meant the "Christian" concept of God, for Jefferson held contempt for the Christian clergy and what they professed.

Just a few quotes from Jefferson:

They [the clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly; for I have sworn upon the altar of god, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion. -Thomas Jefferson to Dr. Benjamin Rush, Sept. 23, 1800

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes. -Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, Dec. 6, 1813.

You say you are a Calvinist. I am not. I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know. -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Ezra Stiles Ely, June 25, 1819

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

All you have to do is read some of the letters that Jefferson wrote, you come to the understanding what he meant by the "separation of church and state".

The Danbury Baptists were a religious minority in Connecticut, and they complained that in their state, the religious liberties they enjoyed were not seen as immutable rights, but as privileges granted by the legislature — as "favors granted."
In Jefferson reply he did not address their concern in the states establishment of religion but only on the federal government position on the establishment of religion, where he used the phrase "wall of separation between church and state". Jefferson saw no benefit of having religion involved in government at all, but he also felt that a persons personal religious beliefs should not exempt him from serving in the government.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:49 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,646,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

Awrite Fundy... carry on.
I have felt your pain. For what it's worth - Your comments are spot on (as well as the context!)

Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,646,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I agree there should not be state sponsored prayer in schools, but the interpretation gets blurred when kids are forbidden from praying on their own in school or mentioning thier faith during graduation ceremonies or sporting events. This is where things get complicated.
From what I understand kids are free to pray on their own in state schools. In official ceremonies I agree it gets complicated. The Christian majority would love it until a student gave prayer, praise and honor to the devil or to some goddess or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity