Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:34 PM

282 posts, read 526,319 times

Advertisements

Not to be rude but I am curious, how would you live your life if there wasn't a bible? It seems strange to me that people live their life by a book. I am not a religous person so when it comes to religion I am clueless, I will admit that so this question might seem wierd to some people. I just don't get it, why can't you live your own life and make your own decisions on what you think is right or wrong, or what you should and shouldn't do. If god is suppose to love everyone then why does it matter what you do and don't follow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
Default Choosing life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
Not to be rude but I am curious, how would you live your life if there wasn't a bible? It seems strange to me that people live their life by a book. I am not a religous person so when it comes to religion I am clueless, I will admit that so this question might seem wierd to some people. I just don't get it, why can't you live your own life and make your own decisions on what you think is right or wrong, or what you should and shouldn't do. If god is suppose to love everyone then why does it matter what you do and don't follow?

Imagine a world without Him, without the Bible.....get the picture? You'll be lucky if you "see" tomorrow and that's exactly what it would be, sheer luck!

Wouldn't you rather have a peace of mind knowing whether you die tonight, or tomorrow that you'll still have life eternal? There is a way to be sure my friend, there is a way, care to know how?

PS: Even if there wasn't ever a bible, you still have a conscience don't you?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
Quote:
You are not being rude . . you are asking a valid question.

At one time Iw as clueless about religion . . . and I still am. It's not about a religion or a denomination that you are asking here, it is about a book.

The Bible presents a great problem to mankind. Shall we believe this Book, or belittle it? Shall we endorse it, or ignore it? Shall we follow it, or fight it? It is either a light that guides, or a lie that beguiles. Which is it? It is either a great force, or a great farce; it either contains directions or deceptions, depending upon the validity of its claims.

Is the Bible the product of God, or the product of man? Since man has never been able to write a better one, it sounds as if it came from God. Since it is in a class all by itself, it sounds as though it could not have come from man. Since men have never been able to destroy it, though they have desperately tried to do so, it must be the product of God. Since there has never been known to be a principle for better living which the Bible does not incorporate, surely God inspired the writing of it!

Consider the accuracy of the Bible. Time was when the Bible was the only information men had on certain historical data. The Bible contained names of some kings that historians had no other record of. Some therefore doubted that such kings existed. I refer particularly to King Arioch, mentioned in the fourteenth Chapter of Genesis, and King Sargon mentioned in the twentieth Chapter of Isaiah. While men once denied that these kings existed, historians now say that they did exist. Through archaeological discoveries, the very foundation of one of their palaces has been unearthed, giving some information and dates about his deeds, all of which confirms the Bible account. Does this sound as though man thought up the idea of the Bible?

How did Paul know that God made of "one blood" all nations of men to dwell upon the face of the earth? He declared this scientific truth in the seventeenth chapter of Acts, verse twenty-six. Only in recent years have cytologists proved this to be a scientific fact, yet Paul declared it in the long, long ago. How do you account for it? Only on the ground that he spoke as God directed him. Many such truths as these are found in the Bible, and these have baffled the minds of scientists. In fact, there is not a known fact of science that contradicts the Bible. Many theories of science contradict the Bible, but no known fact of science does. How can this be accounted for? There is one answer, and that is, God is the author of both science and the Bible.

Whenever I would pickup the Bible, I was either bored, or made no sense of it . . . but God called me to Him, kept nudging me, and that's another story . . . but when I realized that there was a God, a Creator, etc., I couldn't put the bible down .. it's a spiritual thing, now I just want to learn as much as I for the past few years have not gone a day without reading it and getting joy, comfort, and guidance.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Default God will not love you if you don't have the right thoughts.

They HAVE to have the book to tell them how to think. No personal opinions allowed. You can be squeaky clean and live the perfect "sin" free life but you are still going to hell because you don't believe in the right diety. So really your salvation is based on your thought life. That is where the need for the book comes in.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Imagine a world without Him, without the Bible.....get the picture? You'll be lucky if you "see" tomorrow and that's exactly what it would be, sheer luck!

Wouldn't you rather have a peace of mind knowing whether you die tonight, or tomorrow that you'll still have life eternal? There is a way to be sure my friend, there is a way, care to know how?

PS: Even if there wasn't ever a bible, you still have a conscience don't you?

No offense Betsey, but the world may very well have been better off without "Him". Think back to all of the people slaughtered all the name of "god". Any god! Maybe women would have been treated better if it weren't for religion. (is there a religion out there that has historically treated women well.....anyone???) It seems to me that it is only recent history that shows Christians to be civilized and the "loving" people that the Bible tells them to be.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:31 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
Default Choosing life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
No offense Betsey, but the world may very well have been better off without "Him". Think back to all of the people slaughtered all the name of "god". Any god! Maybe women would have been treated better if it weren't for religion. (is there a religion out there that has historically treated women well.....anyone???) It seems to me that it is only recent history that shows Christians to be civilized and the "loving" people that the Bible tells them to be.

Good morning DaniMae1. Good to see you here. Aren't we blessed to have yet another day? You see this comment above? Now THAT's your personal opinion, and if that's how you choose to live your life, by all means....LIVE IT.

Some of us, believe otherwise and choose to believe the BIBLE. Biblical Instructions Before Leaving Earth.

It's all about choices is'nt it? And whether we believe it, or not, each has rewards...........you will get something.

Betsey

Old 10-21-2009, 07:14 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
The bible is composed of life stories from the past that were meant to guide a person only. It was never meant to be worshipped as God or His thoughts. It was only meant to be a guide. There are several such books on the market but because their format is different, it's thrown out as make believe or even of the devil. Pick any spiritual book off the shelf and you can have a new bible if you grandize it the way our ancestors did the bible. Pick any book that will lead to goodness and grandize it and you have another bible. Pick any book that is full of truth, beauty and goodness, worship it as nothing else, and you have a new bible.

God works through people and not books. Books are man made and to be used as guides. Worshipping the bible is blasphemy and anyone who thinks it's the word of God is doing just that. God's words are in each of us. It's only up to us if we want to listen. God has shown many, many people to His truths that aren't contained in the bible. We can either be slaves to the bible and be robots throughout our lives or let it guide us to be the best we know how and live in freedom from chains of the past.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:25 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
Quote:
In answer to your question . . . after I gave my previous answer I began to think about this last night . .

Nothing about the bible made sense to me, nor did the Christians who claimed it as authored by God.

For some reason, only God knows who/why, when you are given the gift of faith . . . or when you become spiritually awakened to God's truth . . . the Bible is an inside look into who God is.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
The bible is composed of life stories from the past that were meant to guide a person only. It was never meant to be worshipped as God or His thoughts. It was only meant to be a guide. There are several such books on the market but because their format is different, it's thrown out as make believe or even of the devil. Pick any spiritual book off the shelf and you can have a new bible if you grandize it the way our ancestors did the bible. Pick any book that will lead to goodness and grandize it and you have another bible. Pick any book that is full of truth, beauty and goodness, worship it as nothing else, and you have a new bible.

God works through people and not books. Books are man made and to be used as guides. Worshipping the bible is blasphemy and anyone who thinks it's the word of God is doing just that. God's words are in each of us. It's only up to us if we want to listen. God has shown many, many people to His truths that aren't contained in the bible. We can either be slaves to the bible and be robots throughout our lives or let it guide us to be the best we know how and live in freedom from chains of the past.
Amen and pass the Cheetos!! There are those, even some on this forum, who idolize and worship a book. Gods laws are written on my heart...He guides me into "All Truth" and he guides my steps so that I do not fall from the path He has given me. The bible is an instruction book but once we learn the instructions, gain spiritual knowledge and know God...we no longer need the instruction book. I'll use this analogy: I bought a new DVD player and read the instruction manual to learn how to use it. Once I have read and understand how to use it based on the principles given...I no longer need the instruction manual, make sense? The bible is the same way...it give us the basic instructions we need to find God and to live a life that is pleasing to Him...but once we have that knowledge and know God, why would we still need the instruction manual? It's not like I can forget what Gods taught me.

If people spent as much time "Loving Others" as they do wrangling over bible verses...we would all have a much nicer world to live in.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:49 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Amen and pass the Cheetos!! There are those, even some on this forum, who idolize and worship a book. Gods laws are written on my heart...He guides me into "All Truth" and he guides my steps so that I do not fall from the path He has given me. The bible is an instruction book but once we learn the instructions, gain spiritual knowledge and know God...we no longer need the instruction book. I'll use this analogy: I bought a new DVD player and read the instruction manual to learn how to use it. Once I have read and understand how to use it based on the principles given...I no longer need the instruction manual, make sense? The bible is the same way...it give us the basic instructions we need to find God and to live a life that is pleasing to Him...but once we have that knowledge and know God, why would we still need the instruction manual? It's not like I can forget what Gods taught me.

If people spent as much time "Loving Others" as they do wrangling over bible verses...we would all have a much nicer world to live in.
We not only have the Bible, we also have the Holy Spirit. He leads us into all truth. Some people will remain dependent upon the Bible for their entire lives, not that we do not need God's word, not that I am discrediting God's word, of course not, but when we keep Him in mind always and commune with Him daily, He will commune with us. This is prayer. Jesus Christ is alive, He is a living entity, and He will confirm His word. He will draw close to us if we draw close to Him.

Some people never understand this and never get to this point, that is why, for them; Christianity remains a religion of rules. True Christianity is not a religion, it is a relationship, with the Lord Jesus Christ.

That bothers people. They seek to put him in a box, pigeon-hole Him, but they cannot, because He was revolutionary then and He is revolutionary now, he continues to confound the carnally-minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity